austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20161014_FIS.jpg

By Fr. Noble Lal, SDB

Lahore, Pakistan, 14 October 2016 -- Fr. Zago left the country of Pakistan for good. He has gone back to Italy, the country of his origin. At the age of 20 he left his beloved Italy in order to contribute to the mission of Don Bosco around the world. Fr. Peter Zago, has a long experience of mission and he has done a lot for the youth of different nationalities - India, Philippines and Papua New Guinea.

Fr. Peter arrived in Pakistan in 1998 to sow the seed of St. John Bosco spirituality. He introduced the spirit of St. John Bosco to Pakistani youth and in return Pakistani youth fell in love with this Salesian. They never met Don Bosco in a person but in the face of Fr. Zago they really thought: 'If Don Bosco were alive then he would be like Fr. Zago or perhaps Fr. Zago is like St. John Bosco'.

He did lot of work for Pakistani youth. He is a pioneer Salesian together with some other Salesians but unfortunately no one was able to survive for 18 years in Pakistan. Many Salesians came into Pakistan to join the mission of Don Bosco but they could not manage to stay longer due to variety of reasons. Fr. Zago together with Fr Hans Dopheide started the mission of Don Bosco in Lahore and in Quetta.

Fr. Hans (Australian) established the community in Lahore and Fr. Peter established Don Bosco community in Quetta . He worked for 14 years in Quetta and we have there a beautiful school, hostel for boys and girls, Afghan refugees schools and different other works. Today the Salesians in Quetta are enjoying the apostolate because Fr. Zago worked hard there. In 2013 Fr Peter was given obedience to move to Lahore. Here he stayed for 3 and half years but he was also working very hard without paying much attention to his age.

He received the charismatic spirit of Don Bosco to save the souls. It is true, that he set up many structures but at the same time he never forgot that he is in Pakistan to save the souls of Pakistani youth. For that purpose, he continued to sit for confessions, celebrate the Eucharist for the boys and girls, go out for excursions with the youth and working for vocations.

I met in him personally a father, friend and teacher. Fr. Zago loves to work for vocations without any distinctions whether girls or boys. They are all same for him. I am a living proof of his love for the vocations. I am a Salesian today because he supported me a lot throughout my journey.

For me he is great Salesian. I feel personally that Pakistan lost a great and giant Salesian. After 18 years with us, he has decided to leave Pakistan and settle in Italy. He wants to spend there rest of his life, considering his age (82 years) and his health situation. We consider him Don Bosco of Pakistan. The day he left all the eyes in Don Bosco Lahore were in tears.

His last words before leaving Don Bosco campus: "Ciao, Ciao - Don Bosco, see you in Heaven." I think we will miss him a lot and he will remain in our hearts till the end of our life. Pakistani youth will never forget him and Pakistani youth will always remember his sacrifices for the mission of Don Bosco.

Thank you Fr. Peter Zago,we love you and indeed

YOU ARE DON BOSCO OF PAKISTAN FOREVER.........

20161014_FIS1.jpg

20161014_FIS2.jpg

20161014_FIS3.jpg

20161014_FIS4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • frbaclig 2016.10.15 23:19

A confrere and friend. A great Salesian. Yes, St. John Bosco in our midst. He always had a positive word for life, for people, for the young! Both the north and south provinces of the Philippines say: Thank you, Fr. Peter Zago.

• Vic 2016.10.18 12:05

I will always treasure those days with him cycling down south Cebu or tuning up his Atala racer bike in the Rector's Office of Don Bosco Technology Center, Cebu, Philippines. He is indeed Don Bosco in our midst.