?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5427

20200722_FIS.jpg

By SYM-FIS Facilitators

Marawi, the Philippines, 22 July 2020 -- The article that follows was offered on 21 July, although it refers to an event back in March. Still and all, it is worth reporting on. The Salesian Youth Movement (SYM) has proven to be the most effective educator of volunteers. Through its processes and itineraries, SYM has helped and still helps many young people to mature, to identify themselves with the pedagogy and the spirituality of Don Bosco and put themselves at the service of the mission. Within the SYM, the missionary movements and groups that grow sensitive to service, interculturality and missionary are noteworthy. (Volunteering in the Salesian Mission, p. 95)

Salesian Youth Empowers and Evangelizes Non-Salesian Youngsters

The Salesian youth have given more opportunities to serve others even to those non-Salesian youngsters. Last March 2020, the Salesian Youth Movement-FIS core group was pleased to be invited by the Commission on Missions (CoM) to organize and facilitate a 3-day retreat to the students and some professors from the Mindanao State University (MSU) in the Islamic City of Marawi, Philippines. The said retreat took place at Dapit Alim Shrine, Tubod, Lanao Del Norte. There were 2 batches with a total of 34 participants mostly migrant students coming from distant places across Mindanao and were survivors of the 2017 Marawi siege; unfortunately, the 3rd batch was cancelled due to the strict implementation of the community quarantine and travel ban caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Feeding yourself good food makes you healthy so as joining on a retreat makes you whole again. Both the participants and the facilitators had certainly gained a more personal encounter with Jesus through the reflective sessions, the prayer moments, the people present, and nature itself. Most of the participants shared how blissful they were because of the retreat offered to them. It gave them the opportunity to uproot themselves from the usual bustle of life in the city. As they say, being close with nature and of course with God ones in a while must be included in the must-to-do-list.

The success of the retreat was not possible without the assistance of the Salesians: Fr. Arvin Abatayo, SDB, CoM Delegate; Fr. Vince Michael Sabal, SDB, SYM In-charge; and the coordinators of Catholic Students Organization of MSU. The experience was a good fruit of a great collaboration and the unwavering support of one another in empowering the young people to EVANGELIZE.

Takeaways and Reflections from a Participant

By: Flory Mae Madrid (Batch 2 participant)

Embarked with Christ-centered people, our Music Ministry Retreat has successfully brought to social and spiritual growth. It gave essential realizations about the small things by the sight that played a great part in our entirety as a human being - fresh air we breathe, trees that calm us, water for free, and sunlight that helps creatures grow. These things had to lead me to a special appreciation of the Creator who loves us indefinitely. I've realized all of these as I have been able to reconnect myself to God with the help of the place's serenity and especially through the spearhead of the events who warmly accompanied the ministry throughout the retreat. It was both a privilege and a blessing to be a participant of the retreat. I've gained so much love, fun, camaraderie, and strengthened personal faith. The activities we had are commendably great for it helped us to know more our co-ministers and learned to walk with each other's shoes. We had been able to listen on the calling of God through the silence of nature and by that, I am beyond grateful for that moment because, in the midst of a pandemic, the retreat serves as my new stepping stone in battling this war against humanity. Undeniably, with so much joy in my soul, I am greatly looking forward to that kind of retreat, so far the best I've ever had.

20200722_FIS1.jpg

20200722_FIS2.jpg

20200722_FIS3.jpg

20200722_FIS4.jpg

20200722_FIS5.jpg

20200722_FIS6.jpg

20200722_FIS7.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5474(III)_Let's Plant Positivity!

ALA_5474 By Fr. Keith Amodia, SDB Lourdes Parish, Cebu, 20 September 2020 -- The Lourdes Parish Youth Center in promoting urban farming among young people held the #Let’sPlantPositivity challenge. It was organized by the Parish Youth Coord...
    Date2020.09.25 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views4249 file
    Read More
  2. 5464(I)_Daily Goodnights online become a source of hope for others!

ALA_5464 By Ms. Taichi Miranda SALVO (Salesian Lay Volunteers), FIS, Philippines South, 8 September 2020 -- Since April 3, 2020, SALVO has posted 148 online goodnight talks shared by the Salesian Brothers, Priests or Bishops, FMA Sisters, ...
    Date2020.09.09 CategoryFIS Reply1 Views1245 file
    Read More
  3. 5446(VII)_A Global Virtual Reunion of Salesian Volunteers (SALVO)

ALA_5446 By Zenaida Ann S. Miranda FIS Province, the Philippines, 17 August 2020 -- The year 2021 is the 500 years celebration of the Christianity in the Philippines and the theme for the celebration focuses on “Missio Ad Gentes” wherein S...
    Date2020.08.17 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views845 file
    Read More
  4. 5439(III)_Admission to the Novitiate in Lawa-an

ALA_5439 By Novice Roj Mallari Lawa-an, Talisay City, Cebu, the Philippines, 5 August 2020 -- Six candidates to the Novitiate — Keiyth Joemarie Bernales (FIS), Christopher Sa Khant Ai (MYM), John Hein Htet Aung (MYM), Nicholas Naw Seng Hpr...
    Date2020.08.07 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1201 file
    Read More
  5. 5427(II)_Shared Mission of Youth Ministry and Missionary Animation

ALA_5427 By SYM-FIS Facilitators Marawi, the Philippines, 22 July 2020 -- The article that follows was offered on 21 July, although it refers to an event back in March. Still and all, it is worth reporting on. The Salesian Youth Movement (...
    Date2020.07.22 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views818 file
    Read More
  6. 5409(IV)_First Professions of Salesians, Lawaan, Southern Philippines

ALA_5409 By Bro. Jose Miguel Ramirez, SDB Lawaan, Talisay City, Cebu, Philippines, 27 June 2020 -- On June 24, 2020, the Salesian Society St. Francis de Sales welcomed seven newly professed Salesians on the Solemnity of the Nativity of St....
    Date2020.06.27 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views752 file
    Read More
  7. 5409(II)_Philippines South: #KabataangSalesianoChallenge

ALA_5409 By Jayriel Cui, SYM-FIS Core Group Lawaan, Talisay City, Cebu, The Philippines, 27 June 2020 -- Last March 2020, the SYM-FIS Core Group initiated activities through the social media since the nation had been placed under community...
    Date2020.06.27 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views509 file
    Read More
  8. 5397(V)_Countdown to 500th anniversary of the arrival of Christianity in the Philippines

ALA_5397 By CBCP News Maasin, Philippines, 10 June 2020 -- Bishop Prescioso Cantillas SDB presided at the Eucharist at the Cathedral of the Diocese of Maasin on 4 June to mark the start of the 300-day countdown to the 500th anniversary cel...
    Date2020.06.10 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  9. 5367(III)_Praying for vocations

ALA_5367 Good Shepherd Sunday Homily 2020 By Bishop Patrick Buzon, SDB Bacolod diocese - Negros, Philippines, 3 May 2020 -- The Good Shepherd is one of the most loved images of Jesus among Christians. In fact, the earliest icon of Jesus fou...
    Date2020.05.04 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1120 file
    Read More
  10. 5357(II)_Don Bosco Mati Response to Covid19

ALA_5357 Mindanao Bosconians preparing for post-pandemic times By Fr. Julius Sanchez, SDB Rector Mati, Philippines (FIS), 15 April 2020 -- Mati, the capital of the province of Davao Oriental, is situated on the southeastern side of Mindanao...
    Date2020.04.16 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views921 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 Next
/ 26