EAO

Sharing from EAO Regional, Fr Vaclv Klement

EAO Good Night Talk (12)

Hong Kong

March 1, 2015

Dear Friends!

Each day is a grace of God. Each day during the extraordinary visitation of China province I tried to listen, to get in touch with the hearts of the China province Salesians, Salesian family members, many committed mission partners and young people. It was a grace to remember that on 13th February the 109th birthday of our region and the arrival of the first six Salesians to Macau with Fr. Versiglia in 1906. It was a special grace to pray again in the Holy Places of St. Versiglia and Caravario just a few days ago. That bamboo forest is still a silent witness to their martyrdom which happened 85 years ago in that remote mountain not so far from Hong Kong. During the past six weeks in personal talks I felt the strong and deep prayer spirit of our China province confreres. Because of this the question "What is your favorite prayer?" became part of the personal talks.

At the same time I'm often asking if we are eager to make as our own, Don Bosco's favorite prayer and life motto: (Good Lord) Give me souls and take away all the rest!

(Da mihi animas, cetera tolle!) During the past 10 years, I have been trying to make it my own prayer as well and it's still a challenger for me!  If you try to pray it often and seriously, your life I will be transformed!

During the last Christmas celebrations in Jakarta (December 25, 2014) one young parishioner was attracted by the Good Shepherd cross (SDB sign of perpetual profession).. He took many photos and asked for a while about the Good Shepherd. We, Salesians, are fortunate to ponder this small crucifix with 1800 years old image of Jesus , the Good Shepherd and "Strive to be loved" (Studia di farti amare!) of Don Bosco.

During the Lenten season we are invited by Pope Francis to advance in the formation of hearts! Francis invites us to pray often: "Make our hearts like yours! (Fac cor nostrum secundum cor tuum), .In order to reach the hearts of the youngsters or of fellow Salesians we always need to go out of our comfort zone. In order to leave our comfort zone, we need to travel light - only in this way we are able to listen, to touch the hearts. Let's keep our Salesian crucifix in front of us, so we can pray with Don Bosco and like Don Bosco often, "Good Lord, give me souls and take away all the rest!" 

In Don Bosco

Fr. Václav Klement, SDB

EAO Regional councillor