Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1906

Summer with youngsters from Iraq: a nice surprise
(A note from an EAO member now 'relieving' in Istanbul)

ISTANBUL: 18th July 2007 -- The Rector said to me one evening: "I know you were thinking of working on writing a theology text, getting a retreat ready to preach to the Sisters and getting some materials together in English for the course you are teaching in September. But there's a small change in programme - Fr 'X' should have gone Istanbul in July to give a hand but he can't get a visa...".
    In Jerusalem, halfway through June we'd just got through all the work organising diaconate and priesthood ordinations - but now I find myself in Istanbul, once Byzantium, then Constantinople, and my job for the month is to give a hand in the parish, especially for Masses in English.    
    There's a Syrian cleric in the community, Dany Kerio, whom I taught theology to at the Crocetta, and he invited me to also give a hand with the Kids Summer programme: 150 Iraqi youngsters, children of refugees who are flooding into Turkey in their hundreds of thousands; not only Turkey but Syria and other nearby countries too.
    They speak arabic and are all Chaldean Rite Catholics. Their faith is strong. One day Dany suggested saying a decade of the Rosary - some of the kids said 'why just a decade. Let's say the lot'.
    All the families are waiting for visas, and speaking in English with some of the leaders, I note that their dreams have three names: USA, Canada, Australia. Not perfect nations by any means, but minus the car bombs at the market.
    Our activities are the usual run of ones you'll find anywhere in the Salesian world: four teams with a leader each, T-shirts with 'Don Bosco' scrawled across them, competitions, prayer, some manual work, mini-Olympics, outings, treasure hunts in the park.
    When I see them all lined up in Indian file, shouting, with their coloured T-shirts, young leaders out front, a sweaty cleric with a whistle and a loud-hailer, I realise it's the same as everywhere else in the world.  There's a picture of Mary Help of Christians on the wall.  She smiles. Maybe the fact is that the common denominator round the world is MacDonalds, Coca Cola, and the Salesian Kids Summer Programme! I mean, what else does a kid need to be happy?
    They tell us we shouldn't be writing of such banal matters, but let me do it just this once, because an afternoon with these Iraqi kids is really to discover a different image of Iraq than the one we are regaled with daily on the TV news.
    Our courtyard is a bit small to hold them all.  A couple of the kids lead one to desperation. The leaders (male) are chatting up the leaders (female). The 'cleric' has to reckon with the bursar about the mid-morning eats - "past their use-by date but ok" says the bursar. Oh, and there's the day the neighbours rang up complaining about the racket....loud music.
    The other day they watched a movie with arabic subtitles. "Marcellino, bread and wine". When the lights came on there were many moist eyes. Then the littlest ones went out to play ball, or better play seven balls, all at once, all together.  Yet another little Salesian miracle, just telling the world "We will overcome".
(Thanks to Fr Michele Ferero, of Ratisbonne).

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm   Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
3530 AUL WORLD PREMIERE FOR SALESIAN STUDENT FILM-MAKERS0367_ 557
3529 KOR Trisolini Memorial Album - Inspiration for Future Generations2978_ 578
3528 Indonesia The Salesians in Blitar and the Educational Program of the Surabaya Diocese2670_ 555
3527 World The resources keep coming! Youth Ministry the latest1213_ 621
3526 PGS Tetere Christ King Parish gathers 1,000 mums2905_ 888
» World Summer with youngsters from Iraq: a nice surprise1906_ 655
3524 PGS SIGNIS strives to promote a culture of Peace0777_ 541
3523 Indonesia SALINDO sees the light of day2388_ 584
3522 AUL Salesian honoured in Australia Day Honours List2339_ 524
3521 RMG RM: 'NOW IS THE ACCEPTABLE TIME'0425_ 464
3520 PGS PNG-SI gives a lead for celebration for 24th January celebration1400_ 551
3519 AUL Men from Then: fine lives of the Salesian Brother1154_ 547
3518 THA Major gathering of Don Bosco Volunteers from Region in Hua Hin 538
3517 CIN MACAU: DON BOSCO YOUTH SERVICES NETWORK EXTENDS0141_ 500
3516 World Lexisdb: Formation and Translation tool available0826_ 549
3515 Indonesia Jakarta Formation Communities celebrate Zatti Feast1490_ 505
3514 Cambodia Fourth motorbike-related death has Salesians thinking of a prevention campaign2031_ 635
3513 World Ex-catechist of Kwangju Salesian High hikes a group of Mamma Margarets around Piedmont 502
3512 AUL Dromana leader take over school for an afternoon2965_ 508
3511 World De Sales and Social Media2473_ 580
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 177 Next
/ 177