Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2744

"You raise me up" - "you broke my heart"

Manila: 22 October 2010 -- If it takes two to tango, then the dance at Don Bosco's Street Children Village in Alabang was exquisite - but uneven; 500 street kids singing "You raise Me Up" in four voices, and one visibly moved successor of Don Bosco replying, later in the day, "You broke my heart". Alabang is a bustling suburb south of Metro Manila, and on 21 October when the Rector Major visited and was welcomed by more than 500 boys and girls in the gym, it was a fitting end to what has been a whirlwind, but well-contemplated and precisely managed visit to both north and south Philippines.
    The day had begun with Mass for the Missions at the theologate in Parañaque, another suburb of Manila. The Rector Major was greeted by the Rectors of the 25 houses of the FIN, formators, professors, and the sixty-plus students of theology coming from 10 nationalities all over Asia and two from Africa (one from Ethiopia and another from Rwanda).  Most of the hymns for the Mass were in Latin, with a couple of parts sung in a local language, the confreres from Timor-Indonesia singing the offertory hymn and the confreres from Vietnam singing a post-communion hymn. During the prayers of the faithful, one from Indonesia-Timor prayed in Pilipino, another from ITM in Mongolian, a Vietnamese in Chinese, a Filipino in Urdu, and an Indian in Tok Pisin (Papua New Guinea). During the Mass, the Rector Major chose as the Gospel reading the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, and in his homily he challenged missionaries to search out those in worse conditions than the one of Lazarus. That gave particular resonance, then, to events later in the day as he concluded his visit to the Philippines in the midst of young people whose experiences in life could well be worse than those of Lazarus.
    In the course of the morning the RM met the Rectors in the Philippines North Province, sharing the discussion with Fr Adrian Bregolin, his vicar, on the animation and governance of the Rector in the light of GC 25 and GC 26. The floor was then opened for a sharing from the Rectors present on the lights and shadows of their role as father, teacher, and guide of the communities. Before lunch, the Rector Major blessed the new well-equipped three-floor library of the Don Bosco Centre of Studies, a sleek structure providing a sense of serenity conducive for reading and research. The students of theology serenaded the Rector Major with a couple of choir pieces during lunch.
    But back to Alabang, where evening saw dinner being served in the new two-story culinary arts centre of the street children village. The appetizers were prepared by the street kids studying under a French chef, with the same kids serving the guests in their well-groomed chef’s uniform, confidently talking in English to the guests. Around 50 of the centre’s well-heeled benefactors were present during dinner with the Rector Major. After thanking the benefactors, he and his party left for the airport to return to Rome.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2010 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2750 KOR 2750_"Thanks with all our heart, Don Bosco, you have finally come to Korea"! 506
2749 KOR 2749_Don Bosco touches down in East Asia 446
2748 India 2748_The River Maker 525
2747 World 2747_It's Michael Rua's moment 456
2746 FIS 2746_"I am a Brother: yesterday, today and forever" 387
2745 AUL 2745_Called, Gifted, Sent - the RCIA from the hands of an expert 552
» FIN 2744_"You raise me up" - "you broke my heart" 502
2743 KOR 2743_Korea Province preparations: Don Bosco, Don Rua 482
2742 ITM 2742_ITM: important signs of growth 451
2741 FIS 2741_RM visits FIS Confreres in Cebu 497
2740 FIN 2740_RM arrives in Philippines 472
2739 GIA 2739_Three new Salesian Cooperators 534
2738 KOR 2738_Summary of first part of the RM's visit to Korea Province 463
2737 World 2737_Australia rejoices: St Mary of the Cross "The will of God is to me a very dear book and I never tire of reading it". 282
2736 World 2736_Sister Veronica Nwe Ni Moe and her Salesian sisters are building up the Church, one child at a time. 517
2735 EAO 2735_Flurry of EAO activity over the next ten days 475
2734 CIN 2734_Workshop on China Issues 211
2733 GIA 2733_Peace amidst war - Cimatti event evokes prayerful emotions 524
2732 Cambodia 2732_Sihanoukville centrre's success 548
2731 FIN 2731_'Heaven on earth' targets the unchurched 531
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 177 Next
/ 177