Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3479

Not your ordinary ordinations!
EAO in Angola
by Alfred Maravilla sdb
HUAMBO (Angola): July 30, 2014 --  No ordination is ordinary, we know that. All are special, but the ordination of Fr Pedro Sachitula in his home town in Angola is very special -  Pedro is the first missionary from Angola and has already spent several years in PNG-SI where he will shortly return. He completed his theological studies at Ratisbonne, Jerusalem. His ordination is a moving story, and it was wonderful that Fr Alfred Maravilla, already in Africa preaching retreats, and a long-time missionary himself in PNG-SI, was able to be there for the occasion and write it up. Let's not overlook the diaconate ordination of Joseph Pham Tran Phi Lam, Vietnamese missionary in Angola and Angolan Manuel Cabanje Lucas, either.

You will have noticed that this is the third in a series of articles that are focused outside of our Region but with obvious connections to it.  That has been deliberate and also fortuitous (meaning as the info comes in): helps us look outwards and strengthen what we do within.

The whole Province of Angola, spearheaded by Fr Victor Sequiera, the newly appointed Provincial, did not spare human and material resources for the ordination of the first Angolan missionary, Fr Pedro Sachitula.  Last July 26 the ordination took place in Huambo, a city without a Salesian presence but which has given the Congregation numerous vocations. Pedro is a missionary in Papua New Guinea where he was sent as a practical trainee in 2007. He did his theological studies in Jerusalem at Ratisbonne. Together with Pedro another missionary was also ordained to the Diaconate: Joseph Pham Tran Phi Lam, Vietnamese missionary in Angola and Angolan Manuel Cabanje Lucas. In was indeed a sort of EAO ordination in Angola!

Although Huambo is 600 kms from the nearest Salesian house, all the houses of the Province were represented by Salesians and students. All the post novices, prenovices and aspirants (the novitiate is in Mozambique) were all present together with a large number of FMA, Salesian Cooperators and other members of the Salesian Family. Fr Guillermo Basañes, Councillor for the Missions and former Provincial of Angola, sent Fr Alfred Maravilla to represent him for the occasion. Fr Alfred, a long time missionary in Papua New Guinea and now working in the Missions Department, was in Angola for missionary animation. The diocesan seminaries and religious houses opened their doors to lodge such a large contingent of the Salesian Family. Obviously, such a joyful occasion became another vocation promotion for the whole Salesian family.

The next day, June 27, large number of Salesians joined Fr Pedro for his first Mass at the Immaculate Conception Parish in Katchiungo, 60 kms from Huambo. The whole parish community joined Fr Pedro and his family to thank God for the gift of priesthood. He joins the roster of parishioners who has been ordained to the priesthood. A most touching moment was after communion when Fr Pedro thank the priest who baptized him, the sister who catechized him and most especially his mother: “after the recent death of my beloved brother Joao, how I wish could stay near you. But I have to leave and respond to the call of God who sends me as his missionary. But I assure you, dear mother, that I will be even closer to you through my prayers. I will be far from you. But you will not be alone. The whole parish community will be there around!”