?

Shortcut

Prev上一页 文章

Next下一页 文章

ESC关闭

Larger Font Smaller Font 向上 向下 Go comment 打印
austraLasia 1467

Unipage Unifier: A discovery that may help you

ROME: 27th February 2006 --  There is a virtually unheard of, but simple and free new technology available which makes the world of difference when you want to email a file that contains several items (e.g. text plus images).  Obviously this technology also works with a web page and indeed was developed with that in mind.  The program is called Unipage Unifier and can be found at www.unipage.org .  What does it do?  
    If I have a word document, with more than text in it - diagrams say - and I want to email this page to someone, this is how I do it.  I use the 'save as web page' option in Word instead of saving it to .doc format.  I save it to the desktop where I have the Unipage Unifier icon.  Then I drag the recently saved file (by now a folder with three or four files in it) onto the Unipage Unifier icon.  Finished!  I now have a single file sitting on the desktop which is an html-unifier file.  I can attach this to email as I would attach any other file.  The person at the other end does not need anything except Word, if it was a Word document, or a browser if it was a web page, to open the file.  This means that you could, for example, save one of the concept maps indicated in #1466 and have it easily available for personal use or to email to someone - it would include at least the html file, an xml header file, a jpg file and a word (the full text of AGC 390) all unified into a single file.  The procedure is better than PDF and faster.
    At the moment, Internet Explorer (MIE), up to version 6, does NOT recognise this file.  More advanced, and free browsers like Firefox, work like a charm with this procedure.  One could be pretty much certain that the next version of IE will include this capability.  I could offer a dozen good reasons for using Firefox instead of IE, security being one of them, and ease of use being another, but a third (or a thirteenth) could easily be the capacity just described above. 
    My experience thus far is that I need to turn off the javascript in the browser options before I save the page, and turn it back on afterwards when I view the page.  That ensures that the page saves properly if it uses javascript.  This would be unlikely to apply to a Word file you were 'unifying'.
   All for free.  If you are sending complicated files by email it is worth considering.

Articles