Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2389

Salesians start up in Bangladesh

MYMENSINGH: 28th March 2009 -- Several people have been asking recently of Fr Francis Alencherry, his whereabouts and activities. Somewhat providentially, the same Fr Francis had written to austraLasia very recently indicating that he had received his visa (finally) for Bangladesh and was in the process of taking up residence. But let him tell the story himself in a more recent communique......
    "Finally I have reached Bangladesh, the land of my mission. I reached BIshop's House Mymensingh shortly before midnight on 24 March, accompanied by Fr Joseph Pampadiyil, vice provincial. From 25th evening to 26th noon there was the monthly recollection of the clergy of the diocese. On 26th morning there was also the Chrism Mass. These occasions gave me opportunity to get to know the clergy of the diocese and to be introduced to them. Spending a day in prayer together with them was a good way of initiating my ministry in this diocese.
    "In the afternoon of 26th the bishop and the parish priest of Ranikhong, in which the first Salesian presence will be set up, took the two of us to Utrail, the place chosen for this first presence. The journey by car from Mymensingh to Utrail took a little more than an hour and a half, even though the distance is only 55 km. At present a part of the road is in quite bad condition, but there is reasonable hope that it will soon be repaired.
    "On reaching Utrail we were given a very warm welcome with flowers, songs and dances by the children and the few people who had gathered there. We were introduced to the people and I could see that there was general satisfaction that the Salesians had come to stay among them.
    "After the welcome ceremony we went around studying possibilities and seeing the various sites that could be used for our apostolate. We spent about three hours there and then returned to Mymensingh, for lack of overnight accommodation.
    "My immediate attention is on preparing a place for the community to stay at Utrail and to buy some lands for our works. I hope to stay in Utrail to conduct the Holy Week services. That will give me a chance to meet the maximum number of people. According to the parish priest's calculations there should be around 3,000 faithful in some 18 villages in the parish entrusted to our care.
    "The bishop and clergy are very accommodating and hospitable. They have received us with open arms and expect a lot from us. I am sure, with God's help the sons of Don Bosco will not disappoint them.
    "I am hoping that by December 18th this year we will be able to solemnly inaugurate this new Salesian presence as a souvenir of the 150th anniversary of the foundation of our Congregation".
------
Utrail or Birisiri is part of the Mymensingh Diocese of Bangladesh, bordering Meghalaya State in North East India. The majority of the Catholics there belong to the Mandi (Gari) tribe and are a people in great need. A parish, youth centre and school are expected to be built there as settings for the Salesian apostolate. Currently Fr Emil Ekka of Kolkata Province is in preparation for joining Fr Francis at Utrail. An invitation to join the Bangladeshi Mission has been sent out to volunteer missionaries from other Indian and non-Indian provinces.
 AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2389
Subject and key words: S Asia Bangladesh
Date (year): 2009