Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraL asia #2593

Publishing in EAO is alive and kicking!

ULAAN BAATAR: 11th February -- The headline 'Every new book is a new Salesian' is apparently inspiring, so thank you, Tony!  That was just two days ago. Since then we have received a note from Cambodia: "Thank you Fr, this is very inspiring for me because I have some works to publish...", a comment from Australia: "Your email reminded me that I may not have mentioned my latest book...." (we will, we will, just give us the info), a news item from Mongolia (more of which is below), a 'permission' from the Philippines to place 50 fascinating testimonies of migrant ministry online in SDL (this one deserves a news item of its own over the next day or two), a 36 page article in Spanish from Madrid, 'encuesta sobre el libro digital' on the impact of digital publishing on publishers today, a desperate note from Jerusalem on a just-published tome (by Lulu.com) that has not in fact arrived on time as it should have, but contains at least one article from our Region, and a letter from an Australian Printer/Publisher wanting to know about some possibilities for translation and publishing of some of Cardinal Martini's books (hardly our role but the interest is there).
    In other words, a minor avalanche of material in just two days that demonstrates that something is alive and kicking at the heart of the Salesian charism, including in our part of the world.  Now, back to Mongolia.....
    "This evening, our Salesian Cooperator, Mary Odbileg, picked up the first printed production of substantial Salesianity in Mongolian (Don Bosco by Teresio Bosco). We printed just 200 copies.
    This work has been a long time in the making. The first draft translation was done by an elderly lady who used the Russian version of the book. She even chose "Margarita" as her baptismal name when she completed her catechumenate. The second, more lengthy task of editing was done by our Salesian Cooperators with more emphasis on Salesian terminology and context to make it understandable for our Mongolian readers after comparing it with the English version. The final redaction was done by a friend of Mary's who runs a printing press. It is this same lady who said with much pride while delivering the books to Mary, "I too am now a Salesian (Cooperator) of Don Bosco. Its a wonderful book; it impresses me."
    ...I just imagine how many more people would not only be impressed but would even be prompted to "transform" their lives after reading the life of a man, whose simple and dedicated life was a great gift of God to his children then, is now and will be in years to come. What a substantial way to begin the 10th anniversary of the Salesian presence in this Central Asian nation - 'The Life and Times of Don Bosco', by Teresio Bosco in the Mongolian Vernacular!
    Little by little we are consolidating the spread of the gospel by spreading the lives of the saints... and at the top is our dearest Don Bosco. 
    To Mrs. Margarita Tumenchimeg, Mrs. Mary Odbileg, Ms. Justine Marie Bayarjargal, Mrs. Marie Francesca Hongorzul, Mrs. Michelle Enkhtuul, and to Fr. Vaclav who insisted that we focus on more substantial Salesian Books like Teresio Bosco's; to Fr. Them and to Fr. Provincial and Fr. Regional for your encouragement and blessings, and to our humble benefactors.... Bayarhurgie! bas Mash ikh ikh Bayarlalaa shuu! (Congratulations and Thank you very very much!)

PS: the cover for the new Mongolian production will be recognisable to many - it is the one which has appeared on 'Salesians 2010' and also happens to be the product of the EAO Region. Bro. Hilario Seo spent many hours melding an original photo of DB and boys with photos from Africa, Asia, South Amercia and other continents to give it a global touch.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
44 Mongolia 3518_Thanksgiving day in Don Bosco-Ulaanbaatar (VIE) 1276
43 Mongolia 3499_Don Bosco Technical School- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia revises and resets the Vision Mission Statement 600
42 Mongolia 3370_Graduation at UB 565
41 Mongolia 3289_Mongolian diary 454
40 Mongolia 3190_12 years to the day - a missionary reflects 484
39 Mongolia 3097_Catholic Church celebrates 20 years of the faith in Mongolia 514
38 Mongolia 3027_Ash Sunday in Mongolia, and Tsagaan Sar 382
37 Mongolia 3013_Church in Mongolia gearing up for celebrations 435
36 Mongolia 2683_Darkhan's Summer Camps 634
35 Mongolia 2640_Ever faithful to Don Bosco - Mongolia's press and translation efforts 1732
» Mongolia 2593_Publishing in EAO is alive and kicking! 657
33 Mongolia 2433_Don Bosco Industrial Skills Training Centre 9th Graduation Day 603
32 Mongolia 2417_There's the 150th....and then there's the 128th, Ulaanbaatar style! 519
31 Mongolia 2395_Fledgling ASC unit in Mongolia benefit from FMA presence 350
30 Mongolia 2375_Mongolian moment of grace 417
29 Mongolia 2349_Salesian quality rewarded in Mongolia, as Fr Carlo receives 'medal of honour' 369
28 Mongolia 2317_A Mongolian Christmas 476
27 Mongolia 2208_First Mini-Chapter for Salesians in Mongolia 341
26 Mongolia 2182_Mongolian students graduate to better future 388
25 Mongolia 2142_Mongolia 1998-2008.... 517
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 Next
/ 3