?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3454

Gospel Magic - the value of surprise
digital interview with Fr Petro Yasutaka Muramatsu, aka 'Mickey'
NAKATSU (Kyushu, Japan) June 21, 2014 --  What  follows is an interview across  the ether with Fr Petro Yasutaka Muramatsu, aka Fr Mickey to many who have benefited, including spiritually, from his Gospel magic.  It is a fascinating interview. Now, over to 'Mickey' ... 

1. How and when did you start with magic? Who was your inspiration, master?
When I was a little child I watched a magic show on TV with my family and it gave me a big surprise and left a strong impression on me. And I got to know that there was joy and pleasure in surprising people. I also came to think that I would like to become someone who pleased and delighted people.

Then when I was 10 years old, I performed a cheap trick alone for the first time at a class party at elementary school. My mother had bought me a book on magic, so I decided to put it into practice. This is my first memory as a magician. But I didn’t want to be a magician. I had already decided to be a priest since 'graduating' from my Catholic kindergarten! 

Following this I forgot about magic and I didn’t play magic anymore until I was a university student. I don’t know why. Perhaps it was because I only considered becoming a priest. But when I read a book about Don Bosco as an aspirant, I used to think that I wanted to be like Don Bosco (an entertainer priest, if you like). 

Mr. Maric (the Super Magician) appeared on TV when I was a university student and senior aspirant. And he lit a fire in my magician's heart. I picked up on the earlier intuition of wanting to be someone who could please [ surprise and ] and delight by magic. And little by little I begun to collect magic items and books. I started to learn more and show my magic to my friends. And little by little I performed magic shows at academies (little concerts) and at the Seminary under the pseudonym of “Mr. Muramaric”.  Even when I was a novice I was doing this.

When I was in Philippines as a seminarian, one day I performed some minor magic at a party, and I was regarded as a magician ever since. That’s why I have always had to prepare some tricks for any gathering, and constantly find new tricks. This led to me honing my magic skills and performance techniques.

On return to Japan, I found a good class for learning magic on a DVD, “Monthly magic lesson”. I became much more professional. I also found a Magic Bar near the provincial house when I was provincial secretary. Occasionally I would go there and  watch professionals perform. At the same time I made friends with professional magicians here and there. While the magic skills improved, the opportunities to perform magic also increased. Now, I belong to the "Oita magic study group", take part in their regular monthly meeting.

2. Who are the first beneficiaries of your Gospel Magic? (why this term? It sounds so interesting) - Salesians,? Kids? The Sisters ... ?
As for the term “Gospel Magic” there are many genres in magic. “Gospel Magic” is one of them. I have to say that I did not know of a genre called gospel magic, but my Facebook friend who researches magic taught me that there can be gospel magic. And also he taught that the first gospel magician in the world was Don Bosco: (you can check out his Wikipedia article to this effect).
 So, while I didn’t know about the term “Gospel Magic”, I was in fact already performing “Gospel magic”. As a university student, I was a magician who merely surprised and delighted people. But I came to consider that as insufficient when I was a theology student in the Philippines and I tried to mix catechesis or God's message with my magic performance, and continue to do so now. 

As a Gospel magician, I want people to sense God's existence, and can notice that the blessings and work of God are in our surroundings. Seeing my magic helps people to sense God's presence.

3. This is a fascinating apostolic activity. What are its results?
1. You can share joy with every generation. They all love it - kids to the elderly.
2.  It is a way of sharing God's message, which we can express in various ways, such as: “God is always with us.” “All we need is hope to live and God provide it for us.” “Even if the blessing of God is not a foregone conclusion, it is always there.” “Family should be one.” Etc…
3.  Magic is memorable and leaves a strong impact. 

4.  What gave you the idea of sharing it on YouTube? Who helped you?
Magic on YouTube is also  a good magic class. That’s why I use YouTube. I note that it is effective for introduce my gospel magic. Fortunately my compact digital camera has a function for taking movies to put on YouTube. So I thought that I had to use this and share my Gospel magic with many people around the world.

When I began, I made my magic movies alone at midnight (to avoid noise) and I needed to do it many times over because of mistakes (performance, patter ...) I needed patience, too. But live shows are more interesting, so if possible, I try to do a live show and ask someone who knows how to use a digital camera to take the movie. Then I do the editing work myself. Since there is no assistant, I add music to the movie and attach captions one by one, after my normal work. Normally it takes about 3~4 weeks to make a magic movie this way. 

5. Any future dreams for Gospel Magic?
Yes, setting up a Gospel magician team, proclaiming the Gospel message through Magic,  sharing good ideas to perform. Oh, and writing a Gospel Magic 'Bible' or book on how to perform Gospel Magic. I find doing magic easy but getting  the message across is much more difficult. I would also like to help form Gospel magician priests and  religious. 

6. Any message for the young people of Japan and/or our EAO region?
Everyone is given a special talent by God. Find it and polish it. Harness the talent given from God.

Don't use your talents to satisfy yourself, but use them for helping God and His will.
By doing so, you could make people happy. And you will notice that you are also happy without being aware about it. It is important to humbly pray: Lord! Please, use me that your will be done”. 

Fr. Muramatsu Petro Yasutaka (email: mickey_sdb@hotmail.com_)
(at present Rector, Economer of Nakatsu community (Kyushu island, Japan) .  Working at Boys and Girls home as Chief childcare worker and foster parent support counsellor.

YouTube access:
General
(no.1) Christmas - posted March 2013
(no.2)  Love or money?
(no. 3) God is always with us.
(no.4) - Easter about resurrection
(no.5) - Holy Trinity
(no.6) - Just enjoy
(no.7) - Obey your conscience, God’voice
(no.8) – The lost sheep
(no.9) - God’s grace
(no.11) - Power of the sacrament of reconciliation