?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

EAO Good Night Talk (73)                

Ho Chi Minh, April 1, 2020

Dear confreres, friends and Salesian Family members!

This is my first “Good Night Talk” as I pledge to continue the good tradition of my predecessor, Fr. Vaclav Klement. He has left us a great treasure of his good-night speeches during his terms as Regional Councillor and Councillor for Missions. I am still digesting this “deposit of Salesian charism in action” in our EAO Region.

1- So far, as the whole world has been impacted with the spread of the Covid-19, all domestic and international travels are being stopped to fight for the control of the plague. I am still being in the Provincial House of Vietnam and waiting for the Visa to go to Rome in order to attend the first meeting of May 1, 2020. Meanwhile, Fr. Klement is coaching me for the new responsibilities. I am very grateful for his teaching-on-the job.

2- Back to their countries, many of our participants of the CG28 have been quarantined or distanced themselves for at least 2 weeks. Let us pray for them to be safe and let us continue to pray for the people and the countries impacted with the disease, in particular, as you know from the news of ANS, our Salesians, in spain and members of the Salesian Family who passed away in these days. We join our prayers and self-sacrifices with those of the whole Church for them.

3- At the same time, we listen to the call of the Pope addressed to the General Chapter 28: Dream about Great Dream”. In fact, his message to the Chapter has been considered by him as a “Good Night”: I wish to offer you these words as the “good night” in every good Salesian house at the end of the day, inviting you to dream and to have indeed great dreams.

The Pope knows so well the Salesian traditional Buona Notte as the educative and pastoral instrument used by Don Bosco to accompany his confreres and boys. As the community members were completing the day and they were going to bed, resting and having “sweet dreams”, Don Bosco gave them “Buona Notte” as his discernment, his reading of the current events of the society, of the Church, identifying the wills of God through these and communicated them to his priests, clerics, lay brothers and students. Many of them indeed went to bed with “big dreams”: the growth of the Salesian Congregation and the Salesian Family as a movement to save the young at risk.

Let us dream that God will protect us from all negative consequences of the plague. Wherever we are, as sons and daughters of Don Bosco, let us continue to sow the seed of hope and trust.

Yours in Don Bosco

Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc SDB

EAO Regional Councillor

The First Goodnight Talk of the New EAO Regional