ENGLISH:

Chiamata_missionari_2017_2_en.pdf

Chiamata_missionari_2017_2_en.doc

Prot. 16/0479

Roma, 08 December 2016

MISSIONARY APPEAL OF THE RECTOR MAJOR

TO THE SALESIANS OF DON BOSCO

Dear Confrères,

I am writing this letter today, December 8th, 2016, on the 175th year since the commencement of the Salesian Oratory, when, as Don Bosco himself tells us, he recited that Hail Mary with Bartolomeo Garelli. I do it with a precise intention. This is a favourable day to launch a missionary appeal “ad gentes” to all the Provinces of the world and to all those confrères who feel called by the Lord to live their Salesian vocation in this particular form: being available to be Salesian missionaries “ad gentes, ad exteros, ad vitam” (“to the peoples”, “abroad”, “for life”). My appeal is a voice that must resound in all the Provinces and Salesian presences in the world in order to favour generous responses.

The fundamental reason for this appeal is threefold:

-       The Evangelizing mission in the world requires from us, Salesians of Don Bosco, that we go beyond, that we open up even more to give a response to so many requests that continually come to us from the Church, for a mission of evangelization in diverse places and among many peoples.

-       There are some presences of the Congregation we can no longer sustain because in some nations of the five continents there are no Salesians who can offer their service, whereas in other places the apostolic strengths are more numerous. I think in particular of the youth that are waiting for us in the context of Project Europe, in the Middle East, in countries with a Muslim majority, in the islands of Oceania, in South Sudan, in Mongolia, in Siberia, Cambodia and Malaysia, as well as among the young migrants of the American continent… and in many other places!

-       The third motivation is intimately linked to the missionary passion of Don Bosco. After the great missionary challenge of Argentina, in 1875, to arrive, in due time, in Patagonia, it was – as some of his successors stated – as if he lived only for that project. Fr. Albera writes: “Missions were always the heart of his heart and it was as if he lived only for them… He spoke about them with such an enthusiasm, that we were amazed and strongly edified by his inflamed love for souls”[1].

Mongolia xmas.jpg

Don Bosco himself, in the note he sent in 1880 to Pope Leo XIII, explicitly says: “Foreign missions were always a subject cherished by the Salesian Congregation”[2].

On the occasion of the journeys I made in these years and that allowed me to visit 44 Provinces, I often said that we have to reflect on this fact: if Don Bosco had decided to limit the field of the pastoral educative activity of the Salesians only to the needy youth of Italy – which would have been a legitimate priority, considering that Italy was very much in need of his Salesians – and if he had not had the great passion and the great missionary vision that spurred him at every moment, today the Salesian Congregation would be a small congregation, limited to one nation. It was the missionary spur of our Father that made the Congregation universal in the Church and in the world.

Dear Confrères, for the above reasons, I now address to you this strong appeal and invite you all to generosity. First of all I ask the generosity of those confrères who hear this explicit call from the Lord. Then I ask the generosity of the Provinces, Rectors and, in particular, of Provincials, that they do not stifle in any way the missionary unrest of young confrères and of no other confrère, confining their view and their interest only to their own Province. We cannot forget our origins and our charismatic identity.

You know well how we proceed in these cases. As soon as the Rector Major receives a call, a letter or an email from a confrère who expresses this wish, the Dicastery for the Missions begins a serene, serious and profound discernment with the Confrère and with his Provincial. Everything is then brought to the knowledge of the Rector Major. Discernment often highlights the suitability of the candidate; but sometimes it is not so. In any case, we only look for the good of the persons and of the mission.

This is my appeal, my dear Confrères.

I invite you to pray for this intention in the entire Congregation. Many are the persons who have not yet been reached by the announcement of the Gospel. Many young people need a friend, a brother, a father whom they will be able to find in the Salesians they will meet.

May Mary Help of Christians bless this generosity of yours and may Don Bosco continue to accompany us in our commitment to being true missionary disciples of Jesus.

Yours affectionately

P. Ángel Fernández A.,SDB

Rector Major

[1] ALBERA, P. Circular Letters, 134.

[2] MB XIV, 624.

List of Articles
No. Subject Author Date Views
28 RM Strenna 2019 Commentary + 37th SF Days Valdocco file vaclav 2018.12.23 1932
27 Rector Major - Following a path of fidelity (ACG 428 Letter) file vaclav 2018.09.07 1408
26 RM - Strenna 2019: HOLINESS FOR YOU TOO! file vaclav 2018.07.13 3371
25 Salesian Saints - Living the Communion (RM Letter ACG 428) file vaclav 2018.06.09 2132
24 Rector Major - "What kind of Salesians for the Young People of today?' file vaclav 2018.05.22 1456
23 RM Message 2018 May - Mary who has done everything! file vaclav 2018.05.16 1343
22 Rector Major - GLOBAL NOVENA TO MARY HELP OF CHRISTIANS file vaclav 2018.05.11 2647
21 Rector Major - April 2018 Salesian Bulletin message file vaclav 2018.04.13 935
20 RM - Timor Leste & Indonesia visit talks 2004-2018 file vaclav 2018.02.15 1269
19 RM - SYM Message 2018 file vaclav 2018.01.30 1078
18 RM - Art of listening and accompaniment - Strenna 2018 1 file vaclav 2017.12.25 3485
17 RM - Missionary Appeal 2017 December file vaclav 2017.12.13 1788
16 Message to the Young - 2017 Don Bosco's Feastday 2 file vaclav 2017.01.30 1346
15 RM - We Are Family - Strenna 2017 file vaclav 2017.01.08 1850
» RM - Missionary Appeal 2016 December file vaclav 2016.12.25 1023
13 God is born in Siberia, Mongolia and Myanmar, too.... (RM-December 2016) file vaclav 2016.12.07 1575
12 Dream about Missionary Salesian Family - RM November 2016 vaclav 2016.11.15 658
11 RMG - Meeting with the Provincials halfway through their term of office: the Rector Major’s reaction ceteratolle 2016.10.06 643
10 "My dear young people, ALLOW YOURSELVES TO BE CAPTIVATED BY JESUS!" Message of the Rector Major to young people file ceteratolle 2016.01.31 1236
9 STRENNA 2016 file ceteratolle 2015.12.31 1488
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 ... 3 Next
/ 3