Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Salesian Bulletin, January 2019

BS_1901.jpg

The multicolour face of Don Bosco

So many amazing stories that console and encourage us

Dear friends of Don Bosco’s Salesian Bulletin, I greet you most cordially. You must know that for Don Bosco the Salesian Bulletin was one of the most precious means that he had to make known all the good that he and his Salesian Family were (and are) doing.

As I write to you, I am thinking of January, the month in which we will participate in World Youth Day in Panama together with young people and Pope Francis, and the month of Don Bosco’s feast day, January 31, which, God willing, I will celebrate there as well. The people of Panama have such a great veneration for Don Bosco that more than 700,000 participate in the procession on his feast day. Yes! That number is correct – more than 700,000 people.

Though I am looking toward January, the very Salesian month with so many feast days of our saints, a month dedicated to the Salesian Family and Don Bosco, presently, as I write these lines, I am engaged with the general council meeting that has just begun. This is when the Salesian general councilors return to Rome to gather with the Rector Major to “report” on their visits around the Salesian world on every continent, in one or other of our 1,936 presences. Many of them have just spent four months accompanying the confreres in one of our provinces.

Several hours at the beginning of our meeting were dedicated to sharing with each other how we are and the experiences we have had in these past months. As I listened, my thoughts flew in all directions when hearing the many different, beautiful, and at times challenging testimonies. This is why I chose the title I did for this article, for today Don Bosco truly has a “multicolored face”:

• We listened as one of the councilors described how in Yakutsk, in the middle of Siberian Russia, 6,000 km/3,700 miles east of Moscow, the Salesian community lives among and accompanies its people, few of whom are Catholics. (In fact, there were 15 at Holy Mass on the Sunday he was there.) Still, they share the daily joys and difficulties of those people.
  • Another councilor shared how one’s heart is touched by the accompaniment given the very many poor families and the difficulties they face at the Mexican border crossing points of Nuevo Laredo, Ciudad Juarez, and Tijuana, among others. He spoke of how the Salesians live there to accompany these families and educate their children so that they can become freer each day from the drug- and sex-trafficking rings.
  • I listened while another of our Salesian confreres recounted his visit to Nigeria, Ghana, and Sierra Leone. There we Salesians accompany young people who are in prison, just as Don Bosco did 170 years ago in the Generala, Turin’s youth prison. It was Don Bosco’s experience in the prisons when he was a young priest that left such a great impression on him, including making him sick to his stomach, and that brought him to the decision that he had to do all he could to help keep those young men and boys from returning to such a place. In those African nations today, the reality is no better than what Don Bosco knew. These young people, too, look forward to the daily visit of their Salesian friends.
  • I inquired about our presence in another African nation that I had visited and where we take in boys, girls, and teenagers who had been kidnapped for the purpose of harvesting their vital organs. Thanks to the Lord, they were saved by the police, and we were asked to take care of them until we could find their families. They often remain with us for years.
  • Then I shared the very beautiful experience I had myself when visiting various Salesian houses in Korea where boys – generally, teens and young adults – who have been sentenced for a minor offense live with us in genuine family spirit, feeling truly “at home.” Instead of being sent to some other place where they would be deprived of their freedom, they come for a few months or a year into a Salesian house that provides a rehabilitation program. It was a joy to hear from three judges whom I met that more than 85% of those young men and boys are definitively rehabilitated and do not return to delinquency. This is another face of Don Bosco today – this time, with Asiatic-Korean features.

While listening to all these stories, it struck me that Don Bosco must be happy on account of his sons and daughters in the Salesian Family who are still today intent upon being faithful to the charism that God raised up in him. And I felt great joy while listening to all these reports – which are only the tip of the iceberg – about the great good that is being done for so many people. This made me think that today Don Bosco’s face has many colors that he himself probably never imagined.

I am sharing these things with you, dear readers of the Salesian Bulletin, because I believe that we ought to spread the good news of the very many beautiful things that are happening and that are going to happen. A long time ago I learned the Chinese proverb, “A falling tree makes more noise than a growing forest.” This is precisely how it seems to be. Well, then, these reflections are what I wish to share with you – although they are just a tiny part of the silent growth in our forest.

Happy feast of Don Bosco! We will remember you in Panama in the midst of a wonderful multitude of young people.

With affection,

Don Angel

総長メッセージ(”Bollettino Salesiano” 2019年1月)

現代のドン・ボスコは様々な色の顔をもっている

私たちに慰めと励ましを与えてくれる数々の素晴らしい話  

ドン・ボスコの「ボレッティーノ・サレジアーノ」(サレジオ会会報)の読者である皆さんに心からの挨拶を送ります。ドン・ボスコにとって「ボレッティーノ・サレジアーノ」が貴重な手段の一つであったことを皆さんは知らなくてはなりません。それによって彼は、自分とサレジオ家族が行った(そして今も行っている)よいことを世に知られるようにしたのです。

皆さんに向けてメッセージをしたためながら、私は1月のことを考えています。私たちは若者と教皇様と共にパナマで行われるワールドユースデーに参加し、神がお望みなら、1月31日にはドン・ボスコの祝日ミサも同地で捧げることができるでしょう。パナマの人びとはドン・ボスコをこよなく尊敬しているので、70万人以上が祝日の行列に参加します。そうです! 70万人という数字に間違いありません。

サレジオ会に関係する多くの聖人の祝日があり、サレジオ家族とドン・ボスコに捧げられた1月に私は心を向けていますが、目下のところ始まったばかりの最高評議会に取り組んでいます。世界の1936か所にあるサレジオ会の拠点のどこかの訪問を終えた最高評議員たちが、その多くは4か月ぶりに、総長と共にローマに戻っているのです。

はじめの数時間は、それぞれどうしていたか、この数か月間の体験の分ち合いに費やされました。評議員たちの証言に耳を傾けながら、私は様々に思いを馳せました。どれもが素晴らしい証しでしたが、実に多様で美しく、また時に困難に立ち向うものでもありました。そのため、私は今回のメッセージのタイトルを、現代のドン・ボスコは様々な色の顔をもつ、と付けたのです。

●モスクワから東に6000km、シベリア中央にあるヤクーツクのサレジオ共同体について、評議員から聞きました。サレジオ会共同体は、カトリック信徒がごく少数のその地で(実際にその評議員が訪れたとき日曜日のミサに与った信徒は15人でした)、人びとに寄り添い、日々の生活、喜びと困難を分ち合っています。

●別の評議員は、ヌエボ・ラレド、シウダーフワレス、ティファナやその他のメキシコの国境地帯の多くの貧しい家族と彼らの困難に差し出される同伴に感動したことを話してくれました。サレジオ会員たちはそうした多くの家族に寄り添い、子どもたちが麻薬や性的搾取のネットワークから日々ますます自由になれるよう教育を行っています。

●またある会員はナイジェリア、ガーナ、シエラレオネ訪問のことを話しました。ドン・ボスコが170年前にトリノのジェネララ少年刑務所でしたように、そうしたアフリカの地でサレジオ会員たちは刑務所にいる青年たちに同伴しています。刑務所での体験は若い司祭であった彼に強い衝撃を与え、そのためにひどい胃痛を起こさせたほどでした。それをきっかけにドン・ボスコは、青少年が出所後再び刑務所に舞い戻ることのないようにできる限りのことをする決意をしました。今日のアフリカの国々の状況は、ドン・ボスコを取り巻いていた状況より決してましではありませんが、刑務所の若い人びとはサレジオ会の友人たちの訪問を日々、受けています。

●私自身も訪れたことのあるアフリカの別の国のサレジオ会施設について尋ねました。生体移植をする内臓を取るために誘拐された子どもやティーンエイジャーを受け入れている共同体です。主のご加護により警察によって救出された子どもたちは、家族が見つかるまでサレジオ会が世話するよう委託されています。私たちのもとに数年間とどまる子どもも多くいます。

●そして私はいくつもの韓国のサレジオ会修道院を訪れたときの素晴らしい体験を分ち合いました。たいていの場合、10代やそれより少し上の青年で軽犯罪のために判決を受けた男子が家族的な、まさに「自分の家に」いるような雰囲気の中、サレジオ会員と共に生活しています。自由を奪われてしまう他の施設に送られる代わりに、その若い人びとは数か月から1年ほどの間サレジオの家に預けられ、更生プログラムを受けます。私が実際に会った3人の判事から聞いたところでは、喜ばしいことに彼らのうち85%以上が決定的に立ち直り、非行に戻ることがないそうです。これもまた今日のドン・ボスコのもう一つの顔 - ここでは、アジア系の韓国人の特徴を備えた顔なのです。

このような話を聞きながら、ドン・ボスコは喜んでいるに違いないという思いが私を強く揺さぶりました。彼の息子、娘たち、彼のサレジオ家族が、今もなお神ご自身がおこされたカリスマに忠実に力を尽くしているからです。そしてまた評議員たちの報告 - 行われていることの氷山の一角に過ぎないのですが - は私に大きな喜びを与えてくれました。大勢の人びとのために大いなる善が行われているからです。ですから、私は現代のドン・ボスコの顔は、彼自身夢にも思わなかったほど様々な色をしていると考えるのです。

親愛なる「ボレッティーノ・サレジアーノ」の読者の皆さんと私の思いを分ち合うのは、今存在している、そして行われている素晴らしい事柄をも、私たちは広めていかなくてはならないと考えるからです。以前、「倒れる木は、静かに成長する森よりも大きな音を立てる」という中国のことわざを私は習いました。これはまさに言い得て妙です。私が皆さんと分ち合ったことは、静かに成長し続ける森の一部、そのごく小さな一部なのです。

ドン・ボスコの祝日おめでとうございます。パナマの素晴らしい若者たちの群衆の中で、私たちは皆さんのことを思い出したいと思います。

心をこめて   
 ドン・アンヘル

サレジオ会総長 アンヘル・フェルナンデス・アルティメ神父

《翻訳:サレジアニ・コオペラトーリ 佐藤栄利子migrants.jpg

List of Articles
No. Subject Author Date Views
48 Strenna 2023 (As the Yeast in human family - Lay) file vaclav 2022.07.28 6062
47 RM - Art of listening and accompaniment - Strenna 2018 1 file vaclav 2017.12.25 3484
46 RM - Strenna 2019: HOLINESS FOR YOU TOO! file vaclav 2018.07.13 3371
45 Rector Major - GLOBAL NOVENA TO MARY HELP OF CHRISTIANS file vaclav 2018.05.11 2647
44 RM-Strenna 2021: Presentation-Poster-Video file vaclav 2020.08.05 2411
43 I write to you, young people, because you are strong and the Word of God abides in you (SB, April 2015) Ángel F. Artime 2015.04.02 2345
42 Salesian Saints - Living the Communion (RM Letter ACG 428) file vaclav 2018.06.09 2132
41 Rector Major - 'Good Christians and Upright Citizens' 2020 Strenna presentation file vaclav 2019.07.24 1997
40 RM Strenna 2019 Commentary + 37th SF Days Valdocco file vaclav 2018.12.23 1932
» Salesian Bulletin 2019 January - Face of God file vaclav 2019.01.04 1851
38 RM - We Are Family - Strenna 2017 file vaclav 2017.01.08 1850
37 RM - Missionary Appeal 2017 December file vaclav 2017.12.13 1788
36 Salesian Family, what are you looking for? (SB, March 2015) Angel F. Artime 2015.03.12 1591
35 God is born in Siberia, Mongolia and Myanmar, too.... (RM-December 2016) file vaclav 2016.12.07 1575
34 STRENNA 2016 file ceteratolle 2015.12.31 1488
33 Acts of the General Council: AGC 434: 6 years plan (2020-2026) file vaclav 2020.12.13 1471
32 Rector Major - "What kind of Salesians for the Young People of today?' file vaclav 2018.05.22 1456
31 Rector Major - Following a path of fidelity (ACG 428 Letter) file vaclav 2018.09.07 1408
30 Message to the Young - 2017 Don Bosco's Feastday 2 file vaclav 2017.01.30 1346
29 RM Message 2018 May - Mary who has done everything! file vaclav 2018.05.16 1343
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 ... 3 Next
/ 3