Good Shepherd Cross

by vaclav posted Nov 26, 2015
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

EAO-GNT-2015 (21) December ENG+.pdf  (FOR DOWNLOAD)

With the heart of Good Shepherd enter the Year of Mercy! 

Dear friends and confreres!

At many airports and during daily meditation time in the month of November I did reflect about some special ‘discovery’ or ‘insight’ during 2015 Don Bosco Jubilee Year.

During Don Bosco Bicentenary Year my attention was caught by our ordinary sign of recognition, the Salesian Cross! On many occasions like Good Night Talk or Conference to the Lay Mission Partners or to the Youth I was able to share the meaning of this Salesian sign. I was surprised with their deep admiration and appreciation of the Salesian Cross that express our Salesian Heart – the Heart of Don Bosco, inspired by Jesus - Good Shepherd.

Since last Don Bosco Centenary celebrations in 1988 this ‘Crucifix’ became unique and typically Salesian symbol. In most of the EAO Salesian provinces it’s a common visible sign according which we can recognize in any part of the world the Salesians SDB – Brothers or Priests of Don Bosco.     

Jesus as Good Shepherd (Catacombs) is one of the most meaningful images of the early Christian Art period and it’s probably also the most ancient image of Jesus Christ.

On the back side of the Salesian Cross is visible the handwriting of Don Bosco ‘Studia di farti amare’ (cf. Letter from Rome, 1884: ‘Strive to be loved!’) – that express the heart of the Preventive System of Don Bosco – his spirituality, pedagogy and lifestyle.

I wish you a good night and good start of the Year of Mercy!

In Don Bosco,

Fr. Václav Klement, SDB  

Regional Councilor EAO 2014-2020 

Salesian Cross-front.jpg

FRONT of the Salesian Cross

Salesian Cross-back.jpg

BACK OF THE SALESIAN CROSS

Jesus Good Shepherd-Catacombs.jpg

Jesus - Good Shepherd (AD 2-3rd century, catacombs)