Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180713_PGS.jpg

PGS Province Day 2018

By Asp. Palep Bigiglen

Port Moresby, PGS, 7 July 2018 -- The Vice-Province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi celebrated its second Province Day. The celebration had two parts: the first part was an enjoyable outing by the beach. With the weather on our side all Salesians and aspirants arrived with this year’s theme printed on their shirt: Journeying together as a Vice-Province. The postnovices animated the program with parlour games and beach sports which culminated with lunch by the beach.

The second part was the late afternoon thanksgiving Eucharist celebration in the Emmaus Conference Centre at the Provincial House. During the Eucharist we also remembered Fr. Edwin Genovia’s silver Jubilee of priestly ordination. We aspirants animated the Eucharist with local songs from Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea, as well as songs in English, Italian, Hindi, French, Latin, Spanish, Filipino and Vietnamese. For us it was a splendid experience of interculturality.

By evening we had dinner together with dishes from Papua New Guinea, India, South America, Philippines and Vietnam all prepared by Salesians who cooked in groups in the afternoon. Then the song, dance or musical presentations from every community, crowned by the ‘good night’ of Fr. Alfred Maravilla, provincial made our celebration truly wonderful and a happy one.

To me an aspirant, it was a privileged opportunity to be part of this multicultural celebration. It was like a one-day visit to different countries and cultures! Witnessing how Salesians from 16 countries who have committed their lives to our nations which compose our Vice-Province interact, yet united in a common mission and their love for God reminded me that in my discernment of my Salesian vocation joining the Salesians means being part of an international congregation with brothers from 136 nations!

20180713_PGS0.jpg

20180713_PGS1.jpg

20180713_PGS3.jpg

20180713_PGS4.jpg