Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180608_MYM.jpg

In memory of Fr. Fortunato Giacomin, SDB

By Fr. Joachim Ye Maung, SDB

Mandalay, Myanmar, 7 June 2018 -- "He made a deep impression me as a young priest and bishop. I first came to know him at Anisakhan where he was living, welcoming visitors with obvious joy and offering them avocado fruits that he himself cut and prepared with sugar. Perhaps, he had planted them also!

Later I met him again at the Bishops’ Conference in Yangon on 112, Bogyoke Street. I found him with an ear covered with cotton and plaster. It must have been a nuisance, to say the least, but he never complained; he kept his calm. He was a picture of patience and long suffering.

While he was undergoing treatment for his ear, he didn’t stay idle but took out all the books on the shelves that were in one section of the building, classified them according to subject, numbered them and put them back on the shelves. On an old type-writer he laboriously typed out the names of authors, titles and subjects, and stuck them on the books, thus making it easy for readers to look for.

I had a great esteem for his quiet kindness and useful conversations about the simple ordinary events of the day. His humility and respect for bishops (and priests and others) were evident and that was what, in my opinion, endeared him to all who had the privilege of knowing him."

Presented by: Archbishop emeritus of Mandalay, Paul Grawng, Mandalay - Myanmar, March 23, 2018

NB - The Salesians of Myanmar are now gathering the written testimonies of all those who knew Fr. Giacomin for an eventual canonical process. Please, forward any useful sharing or information to Fr. Joachim Ye Maung - Anisakan (bethenyye@gmail.com).

20180608_MYM1.jpg

20180608_MYM2.jpg

20180608_MYM3.jpg

20180608_MYM4.jpg

20180608_MYM5.jpg