World
2018.01.02 10:56

4597(II)_When Love means Listening

Views 927 Comment 0

20180102_WOR.jpg

Listening among the Bororo people

By Cl. Beatus Volkmar Tola, SDB
Indonesian missionary in BCG (Brasil - Campo Grande) province

Mato Grosso, Brasil, 2 January 2018 -- My name is Beatus Volkmar Tola. I am from Indonesia, Flores island and I arrived in Brazil in 2014 at the age of 26 years. My experience of Salesian community and prayer life in Indonesia was very nice. Indeed for me, community life helps me a lot to grow every day through the experience, messages and testimonies of my brothers that I have seen and heard. The community life that I have lived has always led me well until now, supported me when I was not well or I was sad. Another thing is the prayer life. For me, the prayer life is very important, because in the environment of prayer I found my existence as a person who always needs the help of God. Then I realized that God is speaking to me in many ways and does listen to all my lamentations, sorrows and joys. I always remember what our father Don Bosco said often: "Vocations are preserved only with prayer. Those who leave the prayer will surely leave their vocation.

I'm grateful to the Mission sector team, especially Fr Guillermo Basañes and Fr Alfred Maravilla, who worked hard to accompany and direct us during our new missionary course in Rome, November 2014. They helped us to know better about the cultures, the language and the attitudes of the people where we would live and work as a missionary ad gentes. Big thing that I took in my life after I took the course is the biblical word that Father Alfred gave us to reflect on. Exodus 3,5: "Do not approach from here; take off the sandals of your feet, for the place where you stand is a holy land." This verse leads me to understand that all the places where I will go to work are sacred. So I need to leave all the things I had before in my country, such as my culture, so that I can open a new thought and learn about the place with different culture, language and attitudes. More than that, remember that all places are sacred. When we say ‘sacred’ - we believe that in these places always have wonderful things, we need only to pay attention and discover this!

The Brazil I knew before my arrival, was a great country, very famous for football. The first time I arrived in Brazil, I was confused because I did not understand what my Salesian brothers and people were saying around me. I spent my first year of practical training in the Boe-Bororo village Meruri (Mato Gross). The first time I went there, the Bororo people accepted me with great joy, of course they expected I could give them something. So I realized the challenge, because first of all, I still did not know how to speak or understand the Portuguese language. Next, I was with people who have different culture and language than Portuguese. With these limitations, then, I chose to listen, to listen and to act. Listening and acting, I tried to participate in all activities, both those organized by the Salesians and by the indigenous leaders themselves. The other interesting thing was when I participated in the rite of their culture. I remember the day of the Indians, when I and the Bororo people went to the forest to collect various materials (firewood, palm leaf, fruit to paint etc).

During the time I stayed with them, I was able to learn how to work together, respect culture, and understand more deeply that there is hope. When I speak of hope in this context, I think it is a value that will always be a source of strength for young Bororo in the pursuit of their great dreams, meanwhile many people doubt about them. Their reality and their dreams always arouse my faith and hope, that there is always the possibility of a better days ahead.

In the year 2016, I received a new obedience to accompany the Aspirants in the Community of Santo Antônio, Cuiabá (Mato Grosso) and learn the Portuguese language. I have experienced various difficulties, especially when I give a "Good night" or advice to the Aspirants. I do not know if they understood everything. The other interesting thing is that every Saturday, I went with the Aspirants to the Oratory at ‘Pedra 90’ - an association dedicated to serving young people who need help in the form of classes and other activities.

My interest in becoming a missionary began from an article about the adventures and hard work of the Salesians in Sudan who are committed to the oppressed and neglected. I read this news as aspirant. What motivated me to become a missionary is that I have listened and followed my conscience: “Go to that place, do not be afraid, do what you can. The rest, God would complete!

For the young people or the Salesians who wish to follow the missionary call that I am living, I would say: ‘Listen and follow your own conscience and then take it in prayer! When you understand what it is to listen, you know many realities that need your love, especially the reality of the young, of the poor and of the abandoned. They need your love to listen to them. I, you, him and others will always experience times when we feel anxious, fearful and lacking in trust, but I believe God does not close your eyes and we will understand that the miracle happens.

20180102_WOR1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4598(I)_Joy to the World in 2018 from Kuching

New Year in Malaysia By Fr. Andre Belo, SDB Kuching, Malaysia, 2 January 2018 -- Happy New Year 2018! This is the greeting of joy to the world. We begin this New Year 2018 with Mary, as Jesus’ life begins with her. Mary is the mother of Jes...
    Date2018.01.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views773 file
    Read More
  2. 4597(III)_How to grow in communion within the Secular Institute

CDB (Volunteers With Don Bosco) in their 6th General Assembly By Luciano A, CDB Genzano, Italy, 2 January 2018 -- The CDB Secular Institute (Volunteers With Don Bosco) founded in 1994 by Fr. Egidio Viganó (7th Successor of Don Bosco) held t...
    Date2018.01.02 CategoryWorld Reply2 Views897 file
    Read More
  3. 4597(II)_When Love means Listening

Listening among the Bororo people By Cl. Beatus Volkmar Tola, SDB Indonesian missionary in BCG (Brasil - Campo Grande) province Mato Grosso, Brasil, 2 January 2018 -- My name is Beatus Volkmar Tola. I am from Indonesia, Flores island and I ...
    Date2018.01.02 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views927 file
    Read More
  4. 4597(I)_A New Rector and a New Parish Priest for Darkhan, Mongolia

By Fr. Anthony Kishore Minj, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 1 January 2018 -- Fr. Simon Lee SDB, has been installed as a rector of Don Bosco community of Darkhan by Fr. Paul Leung SDB, the delegate superior of Mongolian delegation, on December 31, ...
    Date2018.01.02 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1277 file
    Read More
  5. 4596_Province Day and Christmas Gathering

By Fr. Julio Motta, SDB Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 29 December 2017 -- Was a good time for the confreres in the ITM Vice-province to enjoy the camaraderie as well as to share the joy of Christmas with one another. This Christmas gathering held ...
    Date2018.01.01 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views913 file
    Read More
  6. 4596(II)_Let’s cultivate the art of listening and of accompaniment!

Special year of listening - 2018 By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB EAO, 1 January 2018 -- Meanwhile we celebrate the year 2018 (Anno Domini – AD), the Buddhist Calendar writes year 2562, the Islamic Calendar year 1439, the Chinese calendar 4715, t...
    Date2018.01.01 CategoryEAO Reply2 Views1050 file
    Read More
  7. 4596(I)_A new Salesian Parish- erected in Land of the Blue Sky

A great gift for the Salesians for the New Year 2018 By Fr. Anthony Kishore Minj SDB Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 31 December 2017 -- In the outskirts of Ulaanbaatar the capital city of Mongolia in Shovoo village, a new Salesian parish under the ...
    Date2018.01.01 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1541 file
    Read More
  8. 4595(II)_Go into the whole world

Destinations for the new FMA missionaries 2017 By FMA Mission Ambito FMA -- On December 28, 2017, the Mother General of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians, Mother Yvonne Reungoat, announced to the community of the Generalate and to th...
    Date2017.12.31 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views829 file
    Read More
  9. 4595(I)_Missionary life as the grace and will of God

Project Europe: multicultural community of Amsterdam By Cl. Cirilo de Deus, SDB Timorese missionary in Amsterdam, BEN provinc Amsterdam, Netherland, 31 December 2017 -- I wish from afar but deep down in my heart a Blessed Christmas and happ...
    Date2017.12.31 Reply0 Views1195 file
    Read More
  10. 4594_ What are you most grateful for? (EAO)

We give thanks and remember 2017 By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 30 December 2017 -- The end of December it's that time of the year when we reflect on the past 12 months and brace for the New Year and a new beginning. We begin to make resolut...
    Date2017.12.30 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1053 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 536 Next
/ 536