PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20171023_KOR.jpg

Interview with Salesian Brother Alex Cho

in view of the EAO 2018 Salesian Brother Congress

By Our Own Correspondent

Seoul, Korea, 21 October 2017 -- Bro. Alexander Cho, a member of the Rinaldi Community in Seoul, is a carpenter involved in the 'Future Education Center' outreach mission for the out-of-school youth together with other five Salesians. This interview is part of the series of preparation for the EAO 2018 Salesian Brother Congress in Vietnam.

What makes you happy & joyful as Salesian Brother?

I rejoice when I meet the young people, who are able to overcome their difficult situation and stand up on their own and start an autonomous life of honest citizens.

For example, in 2006 one of our youth was not able to find his life direction, spent 4 years in the prison. He was living without any friend, so I visit him once in the prison to encourage him. After his release from prison with help of one remote relative he was introduce to the special crane mechanics and now is living rather good and decent life. There are many heart moving stories of literally saving our young people from their misery, deep hurts or social marginalization. When we see them rise again for an ordinary healthy social and family life, we experience a deep satisfaction, joy and happiness.

How were you attraction to this form of Salesian vocation?

I was inspired by very humble and service minded Bro. Tadeus Oh (passed in2006), who was a long term provincial economer and assisted many young Salesians in initial formation stage.

During my internship stage in Italy (ICP Province, Val d'Aosta - Chatillon community) I met wonderful Brother Tommaso, who was our economer, committed to serve our technical school boarding students and the confreres. Bro. Tommaso was also accompanying closely many of the lay mission partners, always very busy and became my model due to his deep devotion to Mary Help of Christians and strong family spirit in our community.

What is the specific contribution of the Salesian Brother to our mission & community?

As Salesian Brothers we contribute especially through a faithful life commitment, more without deeds than with our words. And first of all the Salesian Brother does contribute to the family spirit and communion in his own community.

How to make the vocation of Salesian Brother more visible in the Church?

When we live truly committed life to God who does see even the hidden deeds, the Salesian Brother becomes truly visible.

How can the Salesian priest contribute to the Salesian Brother Vocation promotion?

I think, that before making distinction between the Salesian Brother and Salesian Priest, we need to live truly family spirit as brother in Don Bosco, where we mutually accept and enrich each other. In many situations the Salesian Priest exercises the role of the Superior and he could through his homily, good night talk or other intervention makes a difference. Each Salesian priest should be aware that before being a priest he is a Salesian and we need to experience in our fraternal communities each other as true brothers in faith!

Of course, if Salesian Brother does not feel a deep joy in his vocation, vocation promotion becomes truly difficult!

What does sustain your Salesian vocation?

When I'm living with an undivided heart for the salvation of youth, walking with them side by side. When I feel the closeness of God who calls me, when I give thanks to God or when I'm grateful for the gift of fraternal community. When I'm overcome by own laziness, however still feel the close presence of God who is in my heart and become united with God through my short prayers!.

20171023_KOR1.jpg

20171023_KOR2.jpg

20171023_KOR3.jpg

20171023_KOR4.jpg