Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20170506_PGS5.jpg

Feast Day Mass in honor of St. Dominic Savio

By Fr. Ariel Macatangay SDB

Bomana, PNG, 6 May 2017 -- Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB celebrates the feast day Mass in honor of St. Dominic Savio in the PGS Province's aspirantate, named in honor of Don Bosco's most famous youth saint.

In his homily, Fr. Alfred explains that Dominic became a saint not mainly because he kept his Communion resolutions of "Jesus and Mary shall be my friends," and "Death rather than sin." These resolutions, the Provincial shared, were usual resolutions done by many other young people during his time in Italy. What made the little oratory student become a "giant of holiness" was his faithful obedience to the words and guidance of St. John Bosco, his spiritual father and guide. This was aptly expressed in Savio's memorable words to Don Bosco, "You are the tailor. I am the cloth. Make me a beautiful garment for the Lord."

After his homily, Fr. Alfred installed the In-charge of the Savio Haus aspirantate, Fr. Dominic Kachira SDB as the Vice-Provincial of the PGS Vice-Province.

As the Eucharistic celebration was ending, the provincial leader shared his intention to start on this feast of St. Dominic to request for more Salesians to work in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands from other Provincials around the world, whom he personally knew.

Before breakfast, the aspirants greeted a first year aspirant, Noah Bisam, who was celebrating his birthday on this same feast. Fr. Alfred took this opportunity to have light moments and laughter with the aspirants through some gesture-imitating tricks.

It was a festive, fraternal and familial way of starting Savio Haus' community feast, which would continue with a special dinner in the evening with guests from the Salesian family and the Catholic Theological Institute communities.

St. Dominic Savio, Model of Youth, Pray for us!

20170506_PGS6.jpg

20170506_PGS7.jpg

20170506_PGS8.jpg

20170506_PGS9.jpg

20170506_PGS10.jpg