?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20160613_EAO.jpg

By Our Own Correspondent

Rome, Italy, 13 June 2016 -- As every last Sunday of September, also this year the Congregation is preparing the 147th expedition that will be celebrated on September 25th in the Mary Help of Christians Basilica at Valdocco, Turin.

Among the 21 missionary candidates there are 7 EAO confreres: 3 from ITM Viceprovince, one from FIN and 3 from VIE. While being the most generous missionary Region, the EAO is happy to receive one Mexican Salesian priest for the FIS-Pakistan delegation, one Salesian cleric from Nigeria for the CIN province and one Swiss Salesian Brother for the PGS viceprovince.

One of the EAO 147th expedition member shares his feeling after receiving his destination: "Don Bosco sent his first missionaries to South America. This morning, I received the beautiful news from the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez, SDB, regarding my Missionary Ad Gentes destination in the southern cone. I will soon transfer to the mission territories of the Brazil - BMA (Manaus Province) in the North East of Brazil. Please pray for me so that I may prepare myself well and later on that I may immerse and give myself totally for the young in this new role the Lord has given me to play." (Br. Jomar Castillo, FIN)

The Salesian missionary vocation ad gentes is 'a call within the call', sometimes the discernment takes longer time. The first CIN missionary in Africa (agreement between CIN-AFW provinces) Cl. Anthony Lo Po Tak is now doing his 3rd year of practical training in Sierra Leon, where he met his 'colleague' - Nigerian missionary Cl. Nicholas. Anthony shared his feeling (photo): 'The one who is next to me is Cl Nicholas from Nigeria, he has been in Sierra Leone for his first year of practical training, also for his experience of missionary life. Now he received from the Rector Major on June 11th e-mail with his destination to CIN province. And I am the first one to welcome him to China!" Really the missionary are a precious bridge of communion among with the world wide Salesian community.

The good example and life witness of happy and committed young missionaries (like Fr. Enio from ITM, now working in the Amazon forest of Ecuador - photo) is the best missionary animation and motivation.

Let us continue to pray for many more generous Salesians in the EAO, who are ready to leave their comfort zone, to be sent to the most needed destinations around the Salesian world!

20160613_EAO1.jpg

20160613_EAO2.jpg

20160613_EAO3.jpg