Following Christ in long sickness and suffering
Tokyo, Japan, 30 January 2020 -- Fr. Francis Xavier Higashiki passed away silently in Beppu, Kyushu Island, Japan, on 28 January 2020 after 81 years of life, 61 years as Salesian religious and 51 years of Salesian priesthood. He had just celebrated his golden jubilee of priestly ordination (already in a wheelcahir) in the Beppu parish church a few months ago.
Many members of the Salesian family and Salesian confreres would like to thank Father Francis Higashiki, who was with the young people for most of his long life as a good shepherd, present among them in many different Salesian schools around Japan.
Fr. Francis was also well known for his love for the heritage of the first Japanese Catholics, especially those who lived and suffered as martyrs in the island of Kyushu. His love for the Church may inspire us also today to treasure our Catholic community faith and witness of so many simple and courageous disciples of Jesus!
Brief life-line of Fr Francisco Xavier Tadahiko Higashiki, SDB
- July 6, 1939: Born in Kaga City, Ishikawa Prefecture
- March 29, 1959: First Salesian religious profession
- March 25, 1965: Final vows as consecrated Salesian
- September 13, 1969 Priestly Ordination
- 1970-75: Pastoral work in Ikuei Gakuin (Tokyo - Suginami)
- 1975-85: Pastoral work in Hyuga Gakuin (Myiazaki, Kyushu island)
- 1985-88: Pastoral work at Salesian School (Kawasaki - Yokohama)
- 1988-90: Pastoral work at Tokyo Salesio High School - Kodaira
- 1990-2008: Pastoral work in Kyushu - Oita, Beppu community
- 2008- 2020: Beppu Salesio House and Beppu nursing home
- January 28, 2020: passed to the house of the Father