MELBOURN -- The Salesian Mission of Cambodia, a delegation of the THA Province, is happy to announce the next deacon, whose ordination will be at the Saint John Baptist Church in Clifton Hill on 5th December - Saint Nicolas’ Day - by the hands of Mgr. Terence Curtin, Auxiliary Bishop of Melbourne. The Salesian cleric is Brother Michael Dominic Gaikwad, born 25th December 1984 in Pune, India, the son of Dominic and Margaret Gaikwad and the older brother of Daniel, married to Sharal and the parents of Daryl, the loved nephew of Br. Michael, who will follow the celebrations from India to Australia with much prayer and emotions.
Br. Michael with students of Don Bosco Cambodia in 2019.
Here some short questions sent to the elected deacon Br. Michael and his answers on the occasion of his next deacon ordination:
1. What means for you to become a deacon?
It means to be of service to God’s people.
2. How would you explain it to little children? What is a deacon?
A Deacon = Priest in training.
3. What is your meaning of being a deacon?
To be a witness of God’s love to his people.
4. Please complete the following sentences:
- I am a Salesian because ...... I feel God wants to be a Salesian.
- I love India because.... of my ancient and sacred culture … and also cricket!!
- I love Australia because … The people here value personhood.
- I love Cambodia because … It is a place that God wants me to be in and live my life in.
- I love Don Bosco because … He has a unique way to follow the Gospel.
- Jesus Christ means... = The loving face of God.
5. Tell me the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the following words:
- Cambodia: Mango.
- Deacon: Service.
- Salesian Life: Animating Presence.
- Strenna 2021: We can never despair as our hope is rooted in God.
- Young people: Young are the tabernacle where we always meet God – words of Pascual Chávez Villanueva.
6. How was your life since you were born to age 9 years old? What was your “dream of your childhood?”
1993 – 3rd standard – I always waited for my holy communion that was to happen in Dec 1994. I had the best Salesian teacher of my life in 1993. She taught me lots. My childhood dream at the age of three was to go to land on the moon. But God’s way landed me to Cambodia and I am very happy to follow God’s plan for me.
Br. Michael with Fr. John Visser in Poipet at the end of 2019
The Gaidwak Family.