Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170808_GIA.jpg

Brother Luis Kawabe went to the Salesian garden: 

Witness of contagious joy and happiness

By Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB

Beppu, Japan, 5 August 2017 -- Salesian Brother Aloisio (Luis) Kawabe Kinshiro was called to the house of the Father on 3rd August 2017 in Shin Beppu hospital at the age of 88 after living 65 years as professed Salesian of Don Bosco.

Immediately the next day on August 4th was held the vigil prayer at the parish church of Beppu (rector Fr. Orlando Puppo) and the funeral Mass was celebrated by the provincial of Japan, Fr. Mario Yamanouchi on August 5th in the same church. The photo of Br. Kawabe used during the funeral Mass was taken in front of Don Bosco mosaic in the same parish church (cover).

Following ‘confessions of ‘Teacher Kinshiro’ are taken from the interviews done by the Yokkaichi aspirants during 2004, when Br. Kawabe was an assistant of the Aspirants.

How did you meet Don Bosco and his Salesians?

I was 23 years old, when I was member of the Franciscan parish of Tokuden (Tokyo), however most of my family were fervent Budhist and so I didn’t know much about the Christian faith. One day my parish priest, a Canadian missionary suggested me to see the social work for the abbandoned boys – war orphans - of the Salesians in Kodaira, Tokyo.

First Salesian I met was Fr. Clodoveo Tassinari. In the Franciscan parish i was not able to receive baptism, since my parish priest was not satisfied with my knowledge of the catechism – ‘You are not yet ready!’ But after getting know Fr. Tassinari better I made the same request and to my great surprise Fr. Tassinari replied: ‘You have asked a very good thing, now you can receive baptism!’ And after 3 months of intense preparation I was able to be baptised on Christmas Day 1952.

What was your motivation to become a Salesian Brother?

Young Kinshiro had 3 elder brothers and two younger sisters and he was the Benjamin in his family: ‘When i was looking at the fruitful family life of my siblings and their weddings I start to reflect, if there is no other way of living a happy life. I went to the Budhist temple of Ryozai-ji (Shizuoka city) and I was impressed by a person of a young monk and even thought to follow him. However after the encounter with Fr. Tassinari I discovered a religious life journey in the Catholic church as my future and entered in to the formation of Chofu without knowing what it’s all about. I put myself with a complete trust in the hands of my ‘master’. And during my discernment path about becoming a Salesian priest or brother, I have chosen to be a religious brother and not a priest.

Life and work of Salesian Brother Kinshiro

Straight after the first profession I was sent to the first Salesian work in Japan, to Myiazaki. Fr. Tassinari used to tell me: “If it’s for the good of the souls, do all posible what you can! These words sunk deeply in my heart! As a young practical trainee I have started a club of Dominic Savio and called even the mayor of Miyazaki to take part in the academy of our club!

As Salesian religious Br. Kawabe repeated the key words of Fr. Tassinari: ‘In order to make other joyful, do it with your whole heart!’ and of Don Bosco: ‘Do the things that the priest and candidates to priesthood can’t do!’

During my initial formation I had many excellent living models of Salesian Brothers:

Brs. Lagonia, Romelli, Akabae Antonio, Hibino and many others! I had never doubted about my Salesian Brother vocation, with a great trust that this is the path wanted by God for me! This conviction was strengthen when at three provincials did asked me if I don’t feel the priestly vocation and I have always answered that I don’t feel this. I felt always very happy as Salesian Brother!’

The seed fall in a fertile land and gave hundredfold fruits

‘I was asked many times by the aspirants if they could continue their Salesian vocation journey. And my reply was always the same: A genuin vocation motivation should be not that I like to work in the youth center for the young, this is not the most important! But the deep motivation for religious life is to be ready to give up always his whole life to God! Not to follow own desires, but to be available to give all for God! I was always very clear, that we should not forget that Salesian life does consist in searching for God’s will and be available for any task where the superiors will send me!’

Finally, if we don’t search sincerely in prayer for the will of God and this spirit of availability we would be not able to find our happines inside the Congregation. If one religious wants to be happy and shine the joy of God in his fruitful life, we need to give our all to God through our obedience to the superiors and availability to do His mission.

Life of Salesian Brother Aloisio KAWABE Kinshiro

• 1929: born in Tokyo, family soon transfer to Kanagawa prefecture (Zushi)
  • 1952: first profession in Chofu, Tokyo
  • 1958: perpetual profession in Chofu, Tokyo
  • 1958-1969: teacher in Hyuga Gakuin, Miyazaki (1964 – five months visit in Italy)
  • 1969-1975: Teacher in Seiko Gakuin, Osaka; provincial councilor and vocation director and in charge of the aspirants.
  • 1975-1976: World Congress of Salesian Brothers delegate, Ongoing formation, Rome
  • 1975-1987: Educator - teacher in Kodaira, Tokyo; provincial delegate for Youth Ministry
  • 1987-1990: Teacher in Hyuga Gakuin, Miyazaki (secondary school)
  • 1990-1995: Director of the orphanage in Nakatsu.
  • 1995-2002: Assistant and library in charge in Salesio Gakuin, Yokohama
  • 2002-2004: Teacher and social assistant in Oita Study center (danno-haro), teaching Japanese language to the migrants, Italian language to the Japanese students and teachers
  • 2004-2006: Assistant in the Aspirantate of Yokkaichi (Mie prefecture)
  • 2006-2012: Resident in Salesio House (Beppu, Oita prefecture) until his death
  • 2017. 8.3: Passed away in Beppu

Many Salesians remember Br. Kawabe in these terms: “I will never forget his cheerfulness, friendliness, radio-announcer-voice and good English!

Rest in peace, Brother Kawabe! Please greet Don Bosco for us. Always spreading your contagious joy and laughter!”

20170808_GIA0.jpg

20170808_GIA1.jpg

20170808_GIA2.jpg

20170808_GIA3.jpg

20170808_GIA4.jpg

20170808_GIA5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6266_FIS - Youth Formation on Life: Identifying Emotional Abuse in the Family

By ArchSOLL Youth Correspondence ArchSOLL Youth Center, Cebu City Philippines, 26 January 2024 -- The Parish Youth Coordinating Council once again facilitated the formation session on life and youth issues last Friday with the topic "Identi...
    Date2024.01.29 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views62 file
    Read More
  2. 6265_SMD 2024: Builders of Dialogue in the EAO region

By Vaclav Klement EAO Missionary Animation Desk, 27 January 2024 -- Since 1988, our Salesian Congregation Missions sector has offered every year a resourceful occasion of the 'Salesian Mission Day' (day - week - month according to e...
    Date2024.01.27 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views77 file
    Read More
  3. 6264_Priestly Ordination of Salesians in Korea

By Soccom Korea Seoul, Korea, 24 January 2024 -- On 24 January, the feast day of St Francis de Sales, there was great rejoicing among the Salesians in Korea. The Holy Mass was celebrated in which three confreres were ordained priests and on...
    Date2024.01.25 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views111 file
    Read More
  4. 6263_Fair Day at Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Community

By Viet SocCom DB Xuan Hiep, HCM, Vietnam, 24 January 2024 -- On the afternoon of 20 January 2024, Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Community organized a Fair Day - a meeting of young people in parishes and the Salesian Community with the theme "The Dre...
    Date2024.01.25 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views91 file
    Read More
  5. 6262_EAO Salesian Family Dreams Together in 2024

By EAO Region Salesian Family Team EAO and Valdocco, 24 January 2024 -- Hundreds of East Asia-Oceania Region Salesian Family members from Pakistan to Samoa, from Mongolia to Australia came 'together' in the already traditional virtu...
    Date2024.01.25 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views194 file
    Read More
  6. 6261_Striving to understand the Melanesian culture

By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Goroka, PNG, 20 January 2024 -- The 56th Melanesian Cultural Orientation Course (COC) for missionaries was held at the Melanesian Institute, Goroka from the 8 to 20 January 2024. Among the 26 participants were thr...
    Date2024.01.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views173 file
    Read More
  7. 6260_Pakistan – Don Bosco Quetta Embarks on a Mission for a Purposeful New Year 2024

By Bro. Francis Nhat, SDB Hyderabad, Pakistan, 18 January 2024 -- From 28 December 2023 to 6 January 2024, Fr Sami Ghouri, SDB, Rector of Don Bosco Quetta, and Brother Francis Nhat, SDB, undertook an 800-kilometer journey from Quetta to Hyd...
    Date2024.01.19 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views82 file
    Read More
  8. 6259_EAO Region is also ready for the 42nd Salesian Family Spirituality Days

By EAO Region Salesian Family Team EAO, 18 January 2024 -- The EAO regional team of the Salesian Family is glad to invite the Salesian Family members in the 23 countries of East Asia - Oceania region, belonging to 16 different SF groups for...
    Date2024.01.19 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views195 file
    Read More
  9. 6258_Busy December for Don Bosco Lahore

By DB Lahore Correspondence Lahore, Pakistan, 17 January 2024 -- On Sunday, 3 December 2023, Bishop Sebastian Shaw administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to 46 Hostel Boys in Youhanabad. He spoke to the young men about the importance of...
    Date2024.01.17 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views131 file
    Read More
  10. 6257_DBFC Aspirants Retreat 2024

By Aspirant Allan Abello Jr. Lawaan, Cebu, The Philippines, 17 January 2024 -- The Aspirants of Don Bosco Formation Center-Lawaan had their Annual Retreat at Don Bosco Retreat House Mantalongon, Dalaguete, Cebu from January 11-13, 2024. The...
    Date2024.01.17 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views80 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 533 Next
/ 533