Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2017.11.01 15:50

4536(II)_The Knock

Views 1532 Comment 0

20171101_PGS.jpg

The Vocatin Story of Yawalele Pius

By Asp. Yawalele Pius

Port Moresby, PNG, 1 November 2017 -- The plane elevated from Gurney airport, circled twice, then headed in the direction of Port Moresby. All the passengers on board were travelling except for me; I was “FLYING”.

Sanderson Bay came into view below and the Owen Stanley ranges stretched out in heaps of endless Blue Mountains towards Central Province. There were times as I recalled, when the so called MBA (Milne Bay Air) was rendering air service on Good Enough Island. The planes would come to the Island every Sunday morning. I was still a small boy, then. When the plane comes, we (the children) would run out into open spaces or clearing, or run out of the house if we were inside and watch the plane until it disappears into the sky, or, goes to land at Vivigani Airstrip. When on our way to the river to bathe for Sunday school or Mass, we would wish that the pilot should see us and come to take us. Sometimes we would sit by the fire in the evening and dream of traveling on aeroplanes one day. Some years went by, and there my wish came true, or was it a dream. It was my first time to travel by plane.

But how did this whole sequence begin?

I now live at the Savio Haus aspirantate in Bomana doing my Religious Studies (RS-1). Despite the many challenges and setbacks as any person can experience, I want to give of my best in any way possible.

I am from Good Enough Island, Milne Bay Province. There are six of us in the family. One girl and the rest are boys. I am the second child, the eldest being my sister. My parents were married in 1990 and I was born four years later.

The whole of my life was spent on the Good Enough Island since my birth to the time I graduated from Grade 12 at Santa Maria Secondary School, Watuluma, in 2014. During my school days, when I received my end of term report, the comments would be: “A quiet person.” Indeed, it was all too true about me. In all the twelve years at school, I can say with certainty that I had asked less than ten questions, not to mention the questions I answered because I rarely answer questions during class. I only did my tests and assignments.

My first encounter with the Salesians was not by vocation promotion talk, but by the movie of Don Bosco that I watched after I graduated from Grade10. Religious life was not my dream and I never thought of becoming a priest.

But one day when the Lord touched my life, and my world turned upside down. After my grade twelve, there was no offer for me and I was not accepted in any institution I applied to. So I stayed back home. Formal education for me was over and it was time to substitute the biro (pen) with the spade; and book with soil. Nothing mattered most than adapting to village life and living as a village person. It wasn’t that bad, it was only a matter of adjusting the sails to go with the wind.

Then, one day I requested Sr. Shanty, an MSI sister from India and with the help of Sr. Rita MSI, I was able to meet Fr. Pedro, a Salesian priest at Alotau. Then in 2016, under the guidance of my parish priest, Fr. Robert, I went to Rabaul.

If the Lord calls me to live this life, I wish no more than do what he intends me to do. I want to see many young people fulfilling their dreams following Christ in the footsteps of Don Bosco. I also would like the young people of my Province to experience the presence of Don Bosco and have a taste of His System of Education for the young.

It all began with a simple YES. God knocks on the door of our heart day by day. He wants to come in. Am I ready to let Him in? Or one might ask, “Have I heard God calling me?” No. Rather, let us ask, “Have I ever LISTENED?” He is constantly calling us, but His call is suppressed by music through my headset from the mobile phone or I am too busy answering the messages from my friends on Facebook.

I conclude with my favourite quote of Mother Teresa. ‘Before you speak, it is necessary for your to listen, for God speaks in the silence of your heart’.

20171101_PGS1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6335_Jakarta Salesian Cooperator Lenten Tour

By Fr. Noel Villafuerte Jakarta, Indonesia – 14 March 2024 -- 17 Salesian Cooperators from the Sunter Local Center, accompanied by their Salesian Delegate, Fr Noel SDB, welcome the Fourth Sunday of Lent with a four-day Pilgrimage, Cha...
    Date2024.03.14 CategoryINA Reply0 Views68 file
    Read More
  2. 6334_Sandor Community for the Specific Formation of Salesian Brothers

By Bro. Raymond D. Callo, SDB Paranaque, the Philippines, 14 March 2024 -- The Salesian Brothers’ Formation House – Blessed István Sándor Community was canonically erected on 4 December 2013 for the specific format...
    Date2024.03.14 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views126 file
    Read More
  3. 6333_Fr. Edwin Genovia, SDB called home

‘Death for the Salesian is made bright by the hope of entering into the joy of his Lord’ Salesian Constitutions 54 By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 14 March 2024 -- “As we gather to celebrate the life of our ...
    Date2024.03.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views146 file
    Read More
  4. 6332_A Communal Celebration in Clifton Hill

Building Community and Embodying Christ By Afia Enosa SDB Clifton Hill, Melbourne, Australia, 13 March 2024 -- Salesian Rectors, Vice-Rectors and members of the Pacific Delegation from communities in New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, and Australia ...
    Date2024.03.13 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views132 file
    Read More
  5. 6331_Fostering a vibrant parish

LLK Leaders’ Overnight Reflections By Vincent Damien Numbos DBTS (staff and family) LKK Leader Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG, 13 March 2024 -- On Friday, 8 March, and Saturday the 9th, the Mary Help of Christians Parish in Sabama held an ...
    Date2024.03.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views83 file
    Read More
  6. 6330_Crafting a Future Blueprint: DBEC’s Strategic Planning Phase 1

By Dr. Amiel M. Yacon Makati, Metro Manila, the Philippines, 11 March 2024 -- In a momentous gathering of minds, 36 Salesians and Lay Mission Partners from various sectors and departments of different Don Bosco schools and institutions part...
    Date2024.03.11 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views74 file
    Read More
  7. 6329_"Stay awake with me!"

Youth Lenten Vigil Retreat By Soccom Korea Communication & Culture Centre, Seoul, 10 March 2024 -- Today marks the Fourth Sunday of Lent, and we are already halfway through the Lenten season, a time of contemplating the Passion of Jesus...
    Date2024.03.11 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views77 file
    Read More
  8. 6328_Br. Paolino Lin, SDB: If not the man, at least his ashes return to the Salesian Community

By Fr. Lanfranco M. Fedrigotti Hong Kong, 10 March 2024 -- Four years ago, today, the great soul of Br. Paolino Lin Yin Nien S.D.B., confessor of the faith, left his body to enter, we hope, the Salesian Garden in Paradise. The body was crem...
    Date2024.03.11 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views182 file
    Read More
  9. 6327_Remembering A Dream

Studies for the Bicentenary of Don Bosco’s Dream of 1824 By Fr. Julian Melbourne, Australia, 6 March 2024 -- In order to mark the bicentenary of the foundational dream that Saint John Bosco experienced when only nine years of age (182...
    Date2024.03.08 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views159 file
    Read More
  10. 6326_THA Annual Spiritual Retreat

By THA SC Hua Hin, Thailand, 7 March 2024 -- The Salesian Confreres of Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos held their annual spiritual retreat from 24 February - 2 March 2024 [1st group] and from 3-9 March 2024 [2nd group] under the theme “A...
    Date2024.03.08 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views162 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536