?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180610_GIA.jpg

Gratitude and greetings from the Bishop elect of Saitama, Mario Yamanouchi, SDB

By Mons. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB

Tokyo, Japan, 9 June 2018 -- As already did Pope Francis after his election in his first greetings on March 13, 2013 - also I’m asking each one of you to pray for me and from my part I’m sending you my blessing. From today on, don’t stop to pray for each other.

After your short prayer for me I would like to share a long journey – a complex story that the Lord with his Providence did during the 62 years of my life. I would like to share in the key of Exodus – like Abraham and Moses. This the way how to understand also my persona life.

The story starts in Argentina where I have arrived from Japan at the age of 9 and have lived there for long 33 years (1964-1997) and experience a lot of spiritual and pastoral adventures over those long years.

Lord’s Call: “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than the others do?’ (John 21,15).

With a great surprise I have received the appointment of Pope Francis aas a new bishop of the Saitama diocese just on the day when this Gospel passage was proclaimed in the Mass (June 2, Saturday). First of all I’m grateful to the Holy Father for all his trust in me and in the Salesian Congregation that is present in Japan already since 1926 through the arrival of the first missionaries from Italy guided by Venerable Fr. Vincent Cimatti. At present we are 95 professed members – Salesian Brother, Priests and young Salesians in initial formation, almost one third are missionaries from a variety of countries: Italy, Poland, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, Timor Leste, Korea, Kenya and India. Our Salesian province is living a crucial period of reshaping, through the evaluation of renewal of our way of our being and acting according to the needs of the poor young people. As all other religious congregations in Japan we face the challenge of vocations and need for more missionaries ad gentes from other countries but also a challenge of joint ongoing formation of the Lay mission partners and Salesians.

A vast and marvelous field of the Lord: ‘A sower went out to sow’ (Mt 13,3)

We Salesians have any presence north of Tokyo, that means also not in the Saitama diocese, but also there would be many Don Bosco Alumni and Friends of Don Bosco. I was never living in the four prefectures of the diocese – Saitama, Gunma, Tochigi and Ibaragi. According the statistics (2018) the population is a little bit more than 14 millions and the number of Catholics (=Japanese) is only about 20.600 faithful, that means only 0.14% of the population in rather small territory of 22.635 km2. But with a surprise, if you ask me, how many are those who live the Gospel values, the numbers would be much higher.

The Catholic community of Saitama diocese includes some 250 consecrated people (priests, permanent deacons, men and women religious, consecrated lay people) of a variety of other nationalities – Koreans, Brazilians, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Peruvians, Latinos from America or Indonesians. There are also many born from the international marriages, There are also quite few refugees or those who are waiting for the legal recognition of their stay in Japan.

Saitama diocese has some 60 parishes distributed in 11 zones with some 40 priests and few permanent deacons, 4 male congregations (OMI, OFM, OFCap, Missionaries of St. Peter) and 18 female congregations (some of the are cloistered nuns). It’s my desire during the first year of my bishop ministry to visit all parishes and religious communities and meet all face-to-face and keep their photo-album renewed every year.

In the territory of Saitama diocese are many Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines, venues of prayer and pilgrimage, deeply rooted in the local society, there are also many Protestant churches. Without doubt, this is a spiritual richness to be shared as brothers, especially the charism of charity and healing.

There are also internationally famous cities lie Tsukuba (science research), Hitachi (symbol of the electronics known world-wide), Nikko (famous Shinto pilgrimage destination with millions of pilgrims and tourist flooding every year from all over the world). And Saitama diocese eastern coast faces the Pacific ocean, famous for the tsunami of March 11, 2011.

To be witnesses of Risen Jesus as a community of faithful

In my conversation with the Apostolic Nuntio when he transmitted to me the news about my appointment as bishop, there are three messages - challenges that impressed me deeply:

Within the Catholic community there are more than 70% of migrant workers, many of them are living in Japan already for past 20 or more years. And recently also is growing the numbers of ‘working students’ who reached Japan on contract for 3-5 years through some agencies and the most numerous are Vietnamese.

Second challenge is how to make help all the various charisms of many congregation be effectively present and enrich the whole diocesan Catholic community.

Third challenge is a dialogue with the ecclesial movements and their possible insertion under the guide and authority of the bishop.

For sure, the Saitama diocesan community does possess as great treasure the plurality of its members. Like when Pope Francis insists that ‘time is greater than space’ (EG 222-225), also in our diocese we need to discern within the vast pastoral field the signs of our times that God is calling us to be the witnesses to the Resurrection of Jesus. Our vision would be the life centered on the Gospel proclaimed and written by the first Christian community (Acts 2, 42-47)

We pray that Mary, Mother of the Church and all peoples, would protect us against the evil forces and that Saint Joseph, her spouse, would guide us in the ministry, with a special attention to children, youth and elderly people!

Episcopal ordination: 24 September 2018

(Urawa city, Akeno hoshi gakuen) at 11 AM, 30 minutes by train from Shinjuku

20180610_GIA1.jpg

20180610_GIA2.jpg

20180610_GIA3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6346_Media Education Seminar Empowers Youth

Insights from Print Media Session By Lucy Napitalai Port Moresby, PNG, 27 March 2024 -- In this ever-changing world of media, young people need the right tools to communicate effectively. On Saturday, 23 March 2024, the second session of th...
    Date2024.03.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views64 file
    Read More
  2. 6345_Reflection Day for Burmese Workers in Thailand

By Fr. Will Matthews SDB Hat Yai, Thailand, 26 March 2024 -- Thanks to the Mother Superior of the Salesian Sisters’ community who operates Thidanukhro Girls’ School in Hat Yai, southern Thailand, a special reflection day was hel...
    Date2024.03.26 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views121 file
    Read More
  3. 6344_Thailand - Animation visit of Fr. Joan Luís Playà and Br. Dominic Nam

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 24 March 2024 -- On 21 March 2024, members of the Salesian Family of Thailand shared a fraternal meeting with Fr. Joan Lluís Playà, Delegate of the Rector Major for the Salesian Family and Bro. Dom...
    Date2024.03.25 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views270 file
    Read More
  4. 6343_Three Salesian confreres installed to the ministry of Reader at Clifton Hill Formation Community

By Afia Enosa SDB Clifton Hill Melbourne, Australia, 24 March 2024 -- The Ministry of Reader holds a special place in the hearts of those who are called to proclaim the Word of God. It is a responsibility that requires dedication, humility,...
    Date2024.03.25 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views102 file
    Read More
  5. 6342_Don Bosco Ky Anh - Providing charity meals at Ky Anh General Hospital

By Ky Anh SocCom Ky Anh, Vietnam, 22 March 2024 -- In order to share and support impoverished people facing economic and health difficulties requiring treatment at the hospital, Ky Anh Vocational Training Center organized the "Love Sharing ...
    Date2024.03.22 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views65 file
    Read More
  6. 6341_Graduation for 154 visually impaired students

The abilities are theirs; we help them develop them. By THA SC Pakkred, Thailand, 19 March 2024 -- The Skills Development Center for the Blind, Pakkred, Nonthaburi, held its graduation ceremony for the blind trainees from the Center on 13 M...
    Date2024.03.19 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views133 file
    Read More
  7. 6340_The Lenten Prayer Program 2024 on "Dreams"

By SC Vietnam Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 18 March 2024 -- On the afternoon of 16 March 2024, the Youth Ministry of the Salesian Vietnam Province organized a Lenten Prayer Program with the theme "Dreams" at the Don Bosco Ba Thon Parish. The ...
    Date2024.03.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views76 file
    Read More
  8. 6339_Formation Course For Practical Trainees of Don Bosco Vietnam Province

By SC Vietnam Thu Duc, HCM City, Vietnam, 18 March 2024 -- According to the annual program, in order to improve knowledge, skills, and spirit during the Practical Training period from 12-14 March 2024, the Salesian Province of Vietnam organ...
    Date2024.03.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views70 file
    Read More
  9. 6338_Cultural Enrichment and indigenous media production

By Leo Paraha Don Bosco, Kep Province, Cambodia, 18 March 224 -- Delegates from East Asia and Oceania engaged in deep reflection as the meeting unfolded over the past three to five days of the Short Course on Media Production and Social Med...
    Date2024.03.18 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views76 file
    Read More
  10. 6337_The Third Fraternal Gathering of the Indonesia Salesian Vice-Province

By Fr. John Laba, SDB Tigaraksa, Indonesia, 15 March 2024 -- The Salesian Confreres of the Vice-Province of St Louis Versiglia, Indonesia (INA) have just finished holding their third Provincial Chapter, which took place at the Salesian Comm...
    Date2024.03.15 CategoryINA Reply0 Views459 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536