Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20171231_WOR.jpg

Project Europe: multicultural community of Amsterdam

By Cl. Cirilo de Deus, SDB
Timorese missionary in Amsterdam, BEN provinc

Amsterdam, Netherland, 31 December 2017 -- I wish from afar but deep down in my heart a Blessed Christmas and happy new year 2018 to all of you. May the Child Jesus bring bountiful joy to your life, your family and community. I am sure that everything will be good in the next year if we really reserved always a special place for Christ in our hearts.

Here, I want to share with all of you my personal reflection as a missionary ad gentes. In a nutshell I want to say that it has been a very difficult year to be assigned as a missionary in Europe. Thus, I have always asked myself: “How can I survive and living to the full my vocation as missionary ad gentes in Europe?"

I would like to share three main answers or motivations that I have been able to provide for myself during past months in Belgium North - Netherland province: Grace of God - Vision of Faith - Prayer.

It is the grace and will of God

Nothing is impossible for God. The story of Jonas in the Bible makes me think about my life. God sent Jonah to Nineveh to ‘facilitate’ the repentance of the sinners but he tried to escape at the beginning of his vocation - mission. He refused to cooperate with God. It is interesting that Jonah was not able to go about his own plan as he wanted to. At the end, God is able to make him cooperate and even ‘enlarged’ his own vision.

I consider my missionary life to be the grace and will of God because of my daily challenges I experience: the language barrier, the cultural shocks (in big and small sizes), the (cold) weather, the style of life, the way of living the faith. All of these life difficulties have impact on my missionary life. Sometimes I wanted to do things in my own way and according to my whim. Yet, I have learned so far that God has made me humble and grateful in following him wherever He may lead me. He does everything to me as he did to Jonah.

The vision of faith

As a human being in the secularized world it is difficult to accept something beyond the explanation and proofs provided by science. How to find God in such a world which is heavily influenced by scientific dictate? I do not believe in the dualism between science and faith. I affirm that God intervenes in our life. If I look back and reflect what I have experienced, it was God’s care and protection. He did not let me alone in time of difficulties. And He would always be with me in every circumstances, as he promised

"I am with you always, even to the end of the ages.” (Mat 28,20)

Prayer

I am powerless to control the world even myself when I face difficult situation. I need someone who understands me deeply. He is God. I brought everything that I felt and experienced and expressed it through my daily prayer. This has been a reliance which I have rebuilt in myself since my first dream to become a missionary when I was still a novice. Until now, thanks be to God, I maintain this contact with the Lord through daily prayer both in community and personal prayer such as: rosary, thanking the Lord before sleep and wake up, etc. That is the strongest point in my life that I do regularly and trying to faithfully and devoutly fulfilling them. I have experienced that the Lord heard my cries

These are the three reasons that strengthen me and keep me happy and optimistic as a missionary.

I am joyful in my assignment here in Amsterdam (Netherlands) with four confreres from our province, Belgium North and Netherlands. We are a multicultural community of Belgian, Indonesian, Indian and Timorese. Our community mission is entrusted with four parishes, five churches, at distance of seven kilometer away from our community. We have just begin new pastoral activities for youth such a sort of Lectio divina and Taizé style prayer gathering.

We hope that through the intercession of our Mother everything will be better in the next year and bring more fruits to the Kingdom of God.

20171231_WOR1.jpg

20171231_WOR2.jpg

20171231_WOR3.jpg

20171231_WOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6347_Success in Passing Practical and Skills Competency Exams

Class XII TKJ and TITL DON BOSCO Vocational School of Sumba By Mrs. Maria Ester Lere Sumba - Indonesia, 31 March 2024 -- In March 2024, class XII students at various Don Bosco Vocational Schools have successfully passed an important moment ...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryINA Reply0 Views46 file
    Read More
  2. 6346_Media Education Seminar Empowers Youth

Insights from Print Media Session By Lucy Napitalai Port Moresby, PNG, 27 March 2024 -- In this ever-changing world of media, young people need the right tools to communicate effectively. On Saturday, 23 March 2024, the second session of th...
    Date2024.03.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views65 file
    Read More
  3. 6345_Reflection Day for Burmese Workers in Thailand

By Fr. Will Matthews SDB Hat Yai, Thailand, 26 March 2024 -- Thanks to the Mother Superior of the Salesian Sisters’ community who operates Thidanukhro Girls’ School in Hat Yai, southern Thailand, a special reflection day was hel...
    Date2024.03.26 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views125 file
    Read More
  4. 6344_Thailand - Animation visit of Fr. Joan Luís Playà and Br. Dominic Nam

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 24 March 2024 -- On 21 March 2024, members of the Salesian Family of Thailand shared a fraternal meeting with Fr. Joan Lluís Playà, Delegate of the Rector Major for the Salesian Family and Bro. Dom...
    Date2024.03.25 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views273 file
    Read More
  5. 6343_Three Salesian confreres installed to the ministry of Reader at Clifton Hill Formation Community

By Afia Enosa SDB Clifton Hill Melbourne, Australia, 24 March 2024 -- The Ministry of Reader holds a special place in the hearts of those who are called to proclaim the Word of God. It is a responsibility that requires dedication, humility,...
    Date2024.03.25 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views105 file
    Read More
  6. 6342_Don Bosco Ky Anh - Providing charity meals at Ky Anh General Hospital

By Ky Anh SocCom Ky Anh, Vietnam, 22 March 2024 -- In order to share and support impoverished people facing economic and health difficulties requiring treatment at the hospital, Ky Anh Vocational Training Center organized the "Love Sharing ...
    Date2024.03.22 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views66 file
    Read More
  7. 6341_Graduation for 154 visually impaired students

The abilities are theirs; we help them develop them. By THA SC Pakkred, Thailand, 19 March 2024 -- The Skills Development Center for the Blind, Pakkred, Nonthaburi, held its graduation ceremony for the blind trainees from the Center on 13 M...
    Date2024.03.19 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views137 file
    Read More
  8. 6340_The Lenten Prayer Program 2024 on "Dreams"

By SC Vietnam Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 18 March 2024 -- On the afternoon of 16 March 2024, the Youth Ministry of the Salesian Vietnam Province organized a Lenten Prayer Program with the theme "Dreams" at the Don Bosco Ba Thon Parish. The ...
    Date2024.03.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views78 file
    Read More
  9. 6339_Formation Course For Practical Trainees of Don Bosco Vietnam Province

By SC Vietnam Thu Duc, HCM City, Vietnam, 18 March 2024 -- According to the annual program, in order to improve knowledge, skills, and spirit during the Practical Training period from 12-14 March 2024, the Salesian Province of Vietnam organ...
    Date2024.03.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views71 file
    Read More
  10. 6338_Cultural Enrichment and indigenous media production

By Leo Paraha Don Bosco, Kep Province, Cambodia, 18 March 224 -- Delegates from East Asia and Oceania engaged in deep reflection as the meeting unfolded over the past three to five days of the Short Course on Media Production and Social Med...
    Date2024.03.18 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views76 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536