?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 6807 Comment 0

20150726_PNG.jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Honiara, Solomon Islands - Inspiring and reflective short films on youth issues were screened on the 23rd July at the Commonwealth Youth Program Campus, Panatina, Solomon Islands at 3pm. It brought the Youth@Work, ‘Share and Inspire’ intensive program to a grand climax as the participants presented films with powerful social change messages that they are passionate about.

The films were scripted, acted and shot by the youth on themes that they had arrived at after brainstorming and discussing their issues. “We need to infuse this aspect of Social Change in all our communication messages,” said Mia Ramon, Director of the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC).

The film, ‘Create change through friendship’ highlighted the need for a friend as one goes through the struggles and trials of ones life. The quest for a job was highlighted through punctuality and discipline in the two films entitled, ‘Yes Boss’ and ‘Discipline in Life’. The film ‘Responsibility changes a Life’ brought out how young lives can be changed when they are trusted and given a responsibility. All the films reflected the issues that the youth face. They were scripted, acted and shot by the participants with guidance from animator Christina Peroili and facilitator Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb.

Invited specially for the presentation were persons connected in the training and mentoring of youth. Youth@Work Program Manager, Sandra Bartlett; Rector of Don Bosco Technical Institute, Fr. Dominic Kachira sdb and Director of Youth Development, Andre Tipoki.

Youth@Work Program Manager, Sandra Bartlett expressed her delight to be present for the presentation of the final short films. “You have the potential and the resources to make things happen”, she said. “You have put in a lot of effort to come for this program. You have paid your own bus fare, your own food and spent the full day at the Commonwealth Pacific Venue, Panatina, during the past few days, all because you are interested to learn something. You are taking the necessary steps and you will get somewhere because you are making great sacrifices to be part of the program”, said Sandra Bartlett. “I am so impressed with your productions and the presentation. The words you have said about Youth@Work have motivated me to help more young people like yourself, to get where you want to go. Thank you for sharing your films with me. I am honoured and blessed”, said Ms Bartlett.

“I believe that the messages you have portrayed so beautifully in the films have sunk into your hearts as you have reflected on them. I am sure it will change your lives. I wish you all success”, said Fr. Dominic Kachira sdb, Rector of Don Bosco Technical Institute, Henderson, Solomon Islands as he congratulated them for their films.

“Don’t become bystanders”, was the message of Andre Tipoki, Director of Youth Development as he spoke to the participants. He continued, “I have noticed a change in you over the past few days as you went about your program at CYP. I admire your skill in putting across social messages through images. This is most needed in our country. You have grabbed the opportunity and have done an excellent job. Congratulations!”

The Communication Team of Youth@Work plans to upload the films on to Youtube and on the Youth@Work Facebook page to share what they have learnt and enable others be inspired by them.

Earlier the participants were instructed on the essential element of participation and communication between the receiver and the sender as both are from different world views. Secondly, the relevance of stakeholders – primary, secondary and the intermediary stakeholders were highlighted giving the participants an opportunity to question as to why the intended primary stakeholders, the target groups are only seldom part of the planning, implementing and evaluation process. Thirdly, the different communication functions were highlighted. “While ‘telling’ is necessary and important, the aspect of ‘listening and sharing’ is essential to ensure social change”, stressed Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb.

Comments from the participants:

• I have heard a lot about stakeholders on radio, newspaper and TV, but only today do I understand its meaning’ – Alphonse Ganea, SINU student.
  • I was inspired watching the film of Don Bosco as we need our faith in God as well as a leader who is able to know and understand his people’ – Daavid Tarai
  • We are grateful to SPC, for showing us a way to lead youth as we work together with the community and move forward’ – Hilda Tolini.
  • I am grateful to Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb, Christina Peroili and Regina Lepping our animators who have inspired us during the program’ – Stephen Farobo.
  • The program of SPC has given us hope and strength to move forward’ – Kaylene Tigulu.
  • The training has given us confidence to discuss and freely share on issues that are relevant to youth, and that is what is needed to bring about social change’ – Eddie Wagiro.

At a meeting on Friday 24th July together with Mia Ramon, Director of the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC), Youth@Work Program Manager, Sandra Bartlett, Communication team leader Ashleigh Bond, youth members Christina Piroili, Emmy Foroasi, Wilson Billy, Joseph Suiramo and Kaylene Tigulu and facilitator Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb possible avenues to develop the communication for social change aspect of the program and spread it to other youth were discussed.

The ‘Share and Inspire’ program was coordinated by the Secretariat of the Pacific Community for members of the Youth@Work project in collaboration with the Salesians of Don Bosco, Solomon Islands and the School of Communication for Social Change, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.

20150726_PNG1.jpg

20150726_PNG2.jpg

20150726_PNG3.jpg

20150726_PNG4.jpg

20150726_PNG5.jpg

20150726_PNG6.jpg

20150726_PNG7.jpg

20150726_PNG8.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5303(II)_Don Bosco month in Darkhan, Mongolia

ALA_5303 Accompanying the young with formation By Fr. Andrew Tin, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 22 January 2020 -- Since the beginning of the Advent season 2019 a new youth group has come into existence in Darkhan Community. They can be called the...
    Date2020.01.27 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views962 file
    Read More
  2. 5303(I)_Many boys and a dream in Nazareth House, Anisakan

ALA_5303 166 years ago in Valdocco - today in Anisakan Nazareth Aspirantate, Anisakan, Myanmar, 26 January 2020 -- On the evening of 26 January 1854, Don Bosco called four promising boys to his room and suggested them to put in practice the...
    Date2020.01.27 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views653 file
    Read More
  3. 5302(II)_The Politics of the Our Father in Salesian Terms

ALA_5302 The Salesian Family prays the Our Father along with Strenna 2020 By our own correspondent EAO, 24 January 2020 --Happy New Lunar Year! One of the gifts to the whole Salesian Family might be the 'Salesian Version of the Our Father' ...
    Date2020.01.26 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views832 file
    Read More
  4. 5302(I)_Mongolia Delegation - First recollection in 2020

ALA_5302 To become the Salesian Family members our youth dream of By Fr. Andrew Tin, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 25 January 2020 -- It is a special event for all the Salesians of the Mongolia Delegation to come together for the quarterly recolle...
    Date2020.01.26 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1275 file
    Read More
  5. 5301(III)_Happy New Lunar Year 2020!

Best wishes from Pope Francis for the New Lunar Year 2020 By our own correspondent EAO 25 January 2020 -- In most of the East Asian countries, the Lunar New Year celebrations are of utmost importance, being celebrated as the Spring Festival...
    Date2020.01.25 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views977 file
    Read More
  6. 5301(II)_Caritas Sisters of Jesus at Valdocco 2020

ALA_5301 By our own correspondent Valdocco, Turin, Italy, 22 January 2020 -- The already traditional large group participation (380 SF members), grew beyond the ordinary 'quota' for each of the 32 SF groups with 14 Caritas Sisters of Jesus ...
    Date2020.01.25 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views644 file
    Read More
  7. 5301(I)_Death of Fr. Francesco Maraccani

ALA_5301 24 January 2020 Dear EAO region friends, Today in the evening our beloved Fr. Francesco Maraccani passed in a silent mood to the house of the Father. Simple sketch of a great Salesian Fr. Francesco Maraccani (1936-2020) a great Sal...
    Date2020.01.25 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views668 file
    Read More
  8. 5300(III)_Behind Faith Stories and Struggles

ALA_5300 An interview with Fr Randy Figuracion, SDB By Ms. Jennifer Cordova Editor’s Note: Ms. Jennifer Cordova, our Social Communications correspondent interviews Fr. Randy on his new book. Cebu, FIS Province, The Philippines, 24 January 2...
    Date2020.01.24 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views786 file
    Read More
  9. 5300(II)_Towards the 400th Anniversary of Saint Francis de Sales

ALA_5300 The Salesian Family of Don Bosco celebrates - January 24th By our own correspondent RMG, Rome, Italy, 24 January 2020 -- With the fast-coming 400th anniversary of Saint Francis de Sales (1567-1622) in two years time, 2022, we may s...
    Date2020.01.24 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views617 file
    Read More
  10. 5300(I)_Newbies to SDB Korea!!

ALA_5300 By Fr. Felix WonSeok Wee, SDB Novice Master Nae Rim, Korea, 22 January 2020 -- Three new clerics – Anh, SangHyun, Lee, Chang-Yong and Kim, Hyung-Seong took their First Vows in the SDB Korea Province after completing a year's basic ...
    Date2020.01.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1210 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 ... 533 Next
/ 533