austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20171205_AUL.jpg

The Cagliero Project: Sharing of one year missionary volunteer experience in Samoa

By Ms. Stefanie Azzopardi

Alafua, Samoa, 4 December 2017 -- In February 2017 I arrived in Samoa excited to spend my year volunteering at Divine Mercy School, Malololelei. And now in what feels like a blink of an eye I will be leaving beautiful Samoa and returning back home to Australia. While I am looking forward to returning home and seeing my friends and family, I will definitely miss this beautiful country, the people and of course all my gorgeous but cheeky students!

During my time in Samoa I have been teaching reading classes, oral hygiene and assisting in the preschool and organising afternoon school classes as well as being involved in some of the youth activities. It has been a real blessing getting to know my students and to journey with them throughout the year. I have enjoyed their energy, their sense of humour, their smiles and hugs.

And while they definitely keep you on your toes as they are the cheekiest are the cheekiest students I have met, their beautiful hearts and warm hugs won’t keep you mad for long! I was recently away from the school for a couple of days to spend some time with another community and I was overwhelmed by the excitement of the children when they saw that me again. This is something I will miss!

During my time in Samoa I have also been fortunate to spend time with some families in the village. I have loved these experiences as it has been a great way to learn about the Samoan culture and way of life. Samoans in general are very hard working where many families have their own plantations where they grow their own food to support and feed their families. They often use natural resources and what the land has to provide in their everyday life.

While Samoans are very hard working, they also love to have fun, especially sing and dance! And they are truly talented! One of the highlights of my school year was our “Cultural Day” where the students performed Samoan dances and dramas. It was a lot of fun learning the Samoan style of dance. While I could never match their grace and poise, it was a great day!

One aspect of the Samoan way of life that I will miss is the sense of community. When walking or driving through the village, everyone will greet each other by either saying “Hello” or “Bye” regardless if they know the person or not. This sense of connection and community is beautiful and something I have enjoyed!

While my journey in Samoa is coming to an end, it is one that I won’t forget.

Tofa Soifua!

20171205_AUL1.jpg

20171205_AUL2.jpg

20171205_AUL3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6365_The Annual Retreat for Salesian Aspirants

By Don Bosco SYM - Vietnam HCM, Vietnam, 11 April 2024 -- On the morning of April 7, 2024, Salesian Youth Ministry Vietnam organized a retreat day for Salesian Aspirants at the Provincial House, Thu Duc, HCM City. Attending the program was ...
    Date2024.04.11 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views92 file
    Read More
  2. 6364_Easter Blessings

By Fr. Sevrin Mite, SDB Blitar and Sumba Indonesia, 10 April 2024 – During the Easter Octave, the St Yusuf Catholic Vocational Technical School in Blitar and St. John Bosco Vocational Technical School in Sumba family held the Easter C...
    Date2024.04.10 CategoryINA Reply0 Views63 file
    Read More
  3. 6363_Promoting Sustainable Integral Human Development

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councillor for Missions 'Development' is a term that has several implications. NGOs, foundations, and countless organizations are involved in development projects. Development models that are mere...
    Date2024.04.10 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views57 file
    Read More
  4. 6362_Extraordinary Visitation to Korea Province Begins

By Soccom Korea Seoul, Korea, 8 April 2024 -- The Korean Province has begun the Extraordinary Visitation by the EAO Regional, Fr Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc, from today through to 6 June. During his visit, Fr. Joseph will visit all the commun...
    Date2024.04.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views60 file
    Read More
  5. 6361_Blue-White Champion's League 2024

By SC THA Hua Hin, Thailand, 8 April 2024 -- The Past Pupils Association of Hua Hin Vitthayalai School organized the "Blue-White Champion's League 2024" football competition. 16 teams from various batches competed. Fr. John Bosco Dhepar...
    Date2024.04.08 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views74 file
    Read More
  6. 6360_A new page for China Province

By Fr. Anthony Pun SDB Hong Kong, 7 April 2024 -- “This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.” This verse of Psalm 118 recurs in our Easter prayer. And it has come true in the Salesian Province of...
    Date2024.04.07 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views106 file
    Read More
  7. 6359_Funeral Mass of Father Joseph Nguyen Van Quang

Former Provincial of the Salesian Province of Don Bosco Vietnam By VIE SocCom Thu Duc, HCM Vietnam, 6 April 2024 -- At 8:30 a.m., April 5, 2024, the Funeral Mass of Father Joseph Nguyen Van Quang, former Provincial of the Salesian Province ...
    Date2024.04.06 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views76 file
    Read More
  8. 6358_Easter Sunday Takjil

By Bro. Umbu Dapa Loka Jakarta, Indonesia, 5 April 2024 -- This month is the month of Ramadan for the Muslims. Observing Ramadan involves fasting from dawn until sunset and refraining from food, drink, and other physical needs. However, it ...
    Date2024.04.05 CategoryINA Reply0 Views44 file
    Read More
  9. 6357_Conclusions of the Extraordinary Visitation of Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB

By TLS SocCom Comoro-Dili, Timor-Leste, 5 April 2024 -- On April 3, 2024, the Extraordinary Visitation of Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB, finally came to an end after spending 43 days (Feb 20 - April 3, 2024) in the Vice-Province of Timor-Leste. On b...
    Date2024.04.05 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views70 file
    Read More
  10. 6356_Blessings in the holy month of Ramadan

By Fr. Sevrin Mite, SDB Blitar – Indonesia, 4 April 2024 --One of the unique things about the Indonesian nation is the diversity of religions – Islam, Catholicism, Protestant Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and o...
    Date2024.04.04 CategoryINA Reply0 Views134 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536