?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20151212_AUL.jpg

Bro. Thuy is the youngest member of St Marys community, with a mustache

By Bro. John Baptist Thuy, SDB

Sydney, Australia, December 12, 2015 - Dear brothers and sisters in Christ! I am Bro. Thuy Nguyen now in St Marys New South Wales since 2013. I’d like to share with you my experiences especially my times in Malaysia refugee camps.

When I was about 8 years old, my father took me to my uncle’s house in the countryside, when he knew that my uncle was about to escape Vietnam with his fishing boat. My uncle told me that I was too young to go by myself. So I came back home and after two or three weeks, we received terrible news: my uncle’s boat sank as soon as it got out of the border of Vietnam. The accident, in which I would have died, confirmed me that God had protected me and I thanked God for letting me live till today.

When I was about 11 years old, my dad took me to one of convents in Saigon so that I can join them. I was really scared to think of joining a convent and that I have to leave my family. Fortunately, after a talk with the priests, my father took me home.

When I was 15 years old and my father asked me if I want to escape on a boat of one of my uncle. I said that I would try, and I was glad because my father let me decide big thing like that. I tried and succesfuly escaped from Vietnam after three attempts. In November 1987 I escaped with my uncle’s family (together 54 people) crowded on a small wooden fishing boat (12 by 3 meters). Only after one week in the Malaysia based refugee camp, i was overhelmed by saddest feelings in my heart, when I cried which made tears swelled in my eyes when I wrote the first letter back to Vietnam.

There was a Catholic church in the camp as well as Buddhist temple and other churches of different religions. My uncle’s family and myself went to the church in the camp. One day after the Eucharist my uncle asked all of us to join the Vietnamese Youth Group and we reluctantly start our participation. After almost three years in the camp, with many friends, the youth group turned out to be a wonderful environment full of joy amidst of our refugee life. It filled my life with joy and laughter, hope and strength. In this way I overcame all the hardships of a refugee life.

Almost three years full of good memories with the youth group, good times with friends, camping, swimming, having all the fun in the games that the leaders voluntarily gave us, as well as sad times when I have to say goodbye to my friends.

I really liked those volunteer leaders who helped us running camps and activities. To me, they were heroes and they forever remained in my heart. You can see that being a leader or a youth worker is not just anyone, if you become a leader; you actually become one of the models for young people and can change their life, just as those leaders in my refugee camp has help me to change my life.

Three years later In 1990, I arrived to Australia after an excellent camp youth group experience. At the same time I wanted to do something in order to give back what I have received from that youth group. So I joined the local Vietnamese Eucharistic Youth Association (Toma Thien) in Keysborough (Victoria) for another 10 years.

Around the year of 1998, I thought about my life and constantly asking God to show what I should be, and the result was that I joined the Salesians of Don Bosco, who work with and for the young, especially the poor and the abandoned youth. I was already over 30 was sure that God is always beside me in my journey.

I want to share all this to you with all my heart and want to let you know one thing that: if you do anything to help young people, even a small thing - you are already a leader, someone who have the power to change someone’s life. And as a leader you and I have Jesus as our greater leader. He will always lead us so that we can come to Him.

At the bottom of my heart, I would like to suggest that you would think carefully about doing something, committing yourself to help the young, to take it seriously and with a strong hope in Jesus Christ’s help, you will have peace in your heart and a happy life even in this life, not mentioning about the life after this life, an eternal life with God. I am confidently saying this because after 14 years with the Youth Movement, I found it is very clear that whoever commits themselves to the youth group, their life will flourish and they have peace in their heart wherever they go. As I reflect about all the leaders in the youth group in the past, they are likely to have a life full of happiness and joys, I can’t say that it is simply a “lucky thing” but to thank God that He has touched their life and my life in a special way.

Whenever we are wounded in life, God always wants to heal our wounds, however He give us freedom to say “yes” or “no” to His healing. Just as the blind man in the Gospel, Jesus cured him but remember one thing that Jesus did not heal his eyes straight away, He told him to go to a river nearby and wash his eyes. And so happens also in our life. We are invited to come to Him through serving our brothers and sisters.

I would like to thank you for reading my life and vocation story. May God be with you now and always!

Bro. Thuy Nguyen SDB.

20151212_AUL1.jpg

20151212_AUL2.jpg

20151212_AUL3.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5427(I)_New instruction to guide the reform of parish communities

ALA_5427 By Congregation for the Clergy Vatican City, 22 July 2020 -- Around the 23 countries or territories of the EAO (East Asia - Oceania) Region there are more than 73 Catholic parishes with 140,000 faithful entrusted to the care of th...
    Date2020.07.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views492 file
    Read More
  2. 5426(III)_Here I am Lord, send me (Isaiah 6:8)

ALA_5426 Annual Retreat of the Vietnam Province By Br. John Pham Hong Phuoc, SDB K’Long Retreat House, Lam Dong, Vietnam, 21 July 2020 – Fr. Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc, the EAO regional councillor celebrated the holy masss to end the annual...
    Date2020.07.21 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views447 file
    Read More
  3. 5426(II)_Exploring the animation dynamics of EAO Past Pupils of Don Bosco

ALA_5426 By Mr. Niel Evangelista Asia-Oceania GEX regional councilor and Br. Dominic Nam SDB World Delegate for Don Bosco Past Pupils (Don Bosco Past Pupils World Confederation) Video meeting Rome-Vietnam-Asia-Oceania, 21 July 2020 -- Anot...
    Date2020.07.21 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views528 file
    Read More
  4. 5426(I)_After 38 years, now settling back in Spain - Br. Jess Garcia

ALA_5426 By our own correspondent General House, Sacro Cuore, Rome, 21 July 2020 -- Salesian Brother Garcia Garrido Jesús Julián (aka Brother Jess, as well known within the EAO region) shared his goodnight after Vespers on 20 July 2020 in ...
    Date2020.07.21 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views655 file
    Read More
  5. 5425_South Asia Salesian Podcast - Sonada, Darjeeling - for everyone's benefit

ALA_5425 By 'Don Bosco South Asia' Social Communication South Asia, 20 July 2020 -- The South Asia SDB social communications network 'DonBoscoIndia' is a large group of 12 South Asia provincial delegates for Social Communication who celebr...
    Date2020.07.20 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1149 file
    Read More
  6. 5424_My ruminations on the Araimiri mission

ALA_5424 By Sr Shanty Joseph MSI Araimiri, Papua New Guinea, 19 July 2020 -- Here my thoughts move to my life journey at Araimiri. It was something to be treasured for life. The life spent mostly with pristine nature, black sandy beach, sw...
    Date2020.07.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views5442 file
    Read More
  7. 5423_May your Kingdom come!

ALA_5423 Get to know the Caritas Sisters of Jesus around the world CSJ General House, Rome, 18 July 2020 -- Among the 32 groups of the Salesian Family there are not many with their headquarters in Rome. Probably the last ones to locate the...
    Date2020.07.18 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views772 file
    Read More
  8. 5422(II)_Powerful homage to Korean missionary Fr. John Lee

ALA_5422 Movie: The Resurrection Seoul, South Korea, 17 July 2020 -- A second movie was released last January, focusing on on the legacy of Fr John Lee (1962-2010), Salesian Korean missionary in South Sudan (2001-2009). The documentary dir...
    Date2020.07.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views2037 file
    Read More
  9. 5422(I)_Seoul "Bosco Gelato" is opened

ALA_5422 By SC delegate of Korea Province Seoul, Korea, 16 July 2020 -- On 16 July 16 in Seoul, the capital of South Korea, an ice cream shop called "Bosco Gelato" has been opened. Bosco Gelato sells the highest quality organic Italian st...
    Date2020.07.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1148 file
    Read More
  10. 5421(IV)_A Webinar Series on Teaching Christian Living in the New Normal

ALA_5421 By Fr. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 15 July 2020 -- The challenge to the educational sector brought about by the pandemic has been documented by UNESCO since most countries enforced health protocols since ...
    Date2020.07.15 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views576 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 ... 537 Next
/ 537