?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 3696 Comment 2
20150617_PNG.jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB pioneer missionary to Papua New Guinea completed 48 years of life as a Salesian priest. He reflects on his experience of faith and mission recalling incidents that have made him think. May his sharing enable us reflect on our own missionary experiences. Thank you Fr. Val.

In my early years in the Gulf province, I remember going to a village. I sat down near an old man. I spoke to him about religion. He listened for a while and then said: “Enough! Do not come here with your crucifix. Even if you do not know or understand my language, just sit down, be close to me, then I will understand your Christ and I will accept your crucifix”.

This simple lesson helped me to go to the people not as a preacher, but just as a witness, by showing the great love of God. Since that encounter 35 years have passed. Let God count how many people were touched.

I cannot judge, but I feel that the Church has entered ‘Kerema Diocese’ not by alluring people with a promise of a better kind of life. The superficiality of the approach never gave room to a life of faith. A man came to see me accompanied by his wife with this request if not a complain: It is 42 years that we have been baptised. When is the Pope going to pay for us? And this continues in many other different forms.

Of course not all is negative. I was on my way walking on a bush path towards the school when I met a person coming from his garden who was openly angry. I stopped and I asked for the reason for the anger. I would never have thought that I was indirectly the cause. “You bloody missionaries: I caught three thieves in my garden, but I could not kill them because of what you teach. You see… I am a Christian and you do not allow us to do what our fathers would have done”.

I meet from time to time some of the past pupils who once seemed to be hopeless cases and now cover positions of importance. They proudly present themselves and state their names and recall the time of their youth in the school even to the minutest details. What a memory! During any encounter with these boys – now men, I say to myself: How many of them would write to me what a mountain boy once wrote: Every time I think of you, I feel joy in my heart!

What can you say about the future of Don Bosco in PNG?

I do not know what to say about the future of Don Bosco in PNG. I know it is the land of the unexpected. I also know that Don Bosco has to be constantly present and that is what I wish it should always be: a family, where children feel to be at home and individually loved and even more loved when they are in trouble or cause trouble. These after all, without looking into many other projects are the poor entrusted to our care.

As in Antioch the followers of Christ became known as Christians by the love they shared, how beautiful if here in PNG the Salesians would be pointed out as people whose main concern is the ‘da mihi animas’ by being messengers of joy, care and hope. This country needs our Salesian charism not as a future dream, but as a constant present.

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • andywong 2015.06.18 16:47

Dear Fr Val,

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I cried with joy when I read it.  Thank you for being who you are and for so many good things that you have done and continue to do. I thank God for you.

Fr Andy 

• brother Andrew 2015.07.06 13:57

Dear Fr. Val,

Even just few years I stayed with you in PNG, but I learn a lot and it is the foundation of my missionary life in Mongolia. 

You and your missionary experience are presenting to me as a practical and touching to the heart of the people as the Pope is doing. Thanks for your works and contribution to the mission. It is not only in PNG but to all people who had learn from you and practice in their mission places (inclide me)

Brother Andrew-Mongolia

1. 5499_Annual Retreat of the TLS Vice-Province, Dare-Dili

ALA_5499 By Fr. Jolino Vieira, SDB Dili, Timor-Leste 1 November 2020 -- The annual retreat this year was held during these trying times that CoVid-19 is still roaming around. This annual retreat of the first batch is quite special for a fe...
    Date2020.11.01 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1409 file
    Read More
  2. 5498(II)_Three-in-one Celebration at DBSTC: Rosary Rally, School Mass, Principal’s Birthday

ALA_5498 By Fr. Savio Angel Sanchez, SDB Simbu, Kumgi, Papua new Guinea, 31 October 2020 -- During the month of the Holy Rosary, though the majority of the students of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College are not Catholics, during lunch break...
    Date2020.10.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views425 file
    Read More
  3. 5498(I)_The Feast of Blessed Michael Rua, the patron of the Postnovitiate of Vietnam

ALA_5498 By Fr. Joseph Phuoc, SDB Dalat, Vietnam, 29 October 2020 -- The Feast of Blessed Michael Rua [20 October, 2020) was traditionally celebrated in the Post-novitiate community of Vietnam: the traditional “Academy” on the eve of the F...
    Date2020.10.31 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views761 file
    Read More
  4. 5497(II)_Planted in the Land of the Unexpected

ALA_5497 Installation of the 3rd Provincial of PGS By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 30 October 2020 -- The 3rd Provincial of the Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands vice-province (PGS), Fr Gregorio Bicomong Junior sd...
    Date2020.10.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views461 file
    Read More
  5. 5497(I)_Witness of 20 years of Vietnamese Salesian Missionary Life

ALA_5497 Interview with Fr Andrew Tin: My call is Mongolia! By our own correspondent Darkhan, Mongolia, 30 October 2020 -- Twenty years after the 2000 AD Jubilee Salesian Missionary Expedition, Fr Andrew Trung Tin (53 years), now a member ...
    Date2020.10.30 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views475 file
    Read More
  6. 5496(II)_Following the path of Blessed Michael Rua

ALA_5496 By our own correspondent Rome, 29 October 2020 -- As with every year, today (29 October) we celebrate the liturgical memory of Blessed Michael Rua, the first successor of Don Bosco (1937-1910). It is another good opportunity to di...
    Date2020.10.29 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views755 file
    Read More
  7. 5496(I)_Ready to walk the journey of Life

ALA_5496 By Sr. Fatima Mafu DBTI Boroko, PNG 29 Ocotber 2020 -- 32 students of the 4th year Education Batch gathered together at the Emmaus Conference Centre, Boroko on23-24 October for their Spiritual Retreat. The Retreat was animated by ...
    Date2020.10.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views598 file
    Read More
  8. 5495_True charity at heart during the pandemic - Vietnamese in Ethiopia

ALA_5495 By our own correspondent Adwa, Ethiopia (AET Viceprovince), 28 October 2020 -- On 20 October 2020, the Vietnamese Embassy in Tanzania sent an appreciation letter to (Duc cha = Father) Joseph Trinh Kinh Luan, Vietnamese Salesian mi...
    Date2020.10.28 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views454 file
    Read More
  9. 5494_Six New Salesian Deacons

ALA_5494 Philippines , Timor Leste and Myanmar By Jarmy Reignier Atienza Roxas, SDB Paranaque City, the Philippines 24 October 2020 -- In the midst of the pandemic, the Salesians of Don Bosco from the community of the Seminaryo ng Don Bosc...
    Date2020.10.27 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views870 file
    Read More
  10. 5493(II)_Will you become my friend? - Fr. John Lee publication finally in English

ALA_5493 By our own correspondent Seoul, South Korea (KOR), 26 October 2020 -- The best missionary animation is to let the missionary speak out. During this missionary month of October we may be encouraged by the consistent daily storytell...
    Date2020.10.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views699 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 536 Next
/ 536