Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1326 Comment 0

20160710_PGS.jpg

Establishment of the New Vice-province

By Fr Václav Klement, SDB

Port Moresby, PNG, 9 July 2016 -- I’m very glad to share this memorable day with the Papua New Guinea – Solomon Islands provincial community, sent by Rector Major to make feel his fatherly concern about the youngest provincial community among the 87 provinces around the World.

(1) Thanks for the journey of past 36 years

Greetings from the Rector Major and the whole General Council, as well special fraternal greetings from Fr. Val and Fr. Alfred. Starting this year a new stage in the growth of Salesian Charism in the Pacific (AUL – Pacific Delegation of Fiji – Samoa and New Zealand; PGS – new Vice-province) we should be grateful to God for his call and his mission, grateful for all Salesians who gave some years of their life in Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea. In a special way we remember all former FIN and GIA province superiors who did accompany the Delegation over the years. Tenk yu tru!

(2) ‘Provincial community’ and ‘Vice-province’?

What does it mean to be a vice-province? Yes, there is a big leap from a Delegation life to be an ‘independent’ Vice-province. In our Constitutions there is mentioned a slight difference between a Province and Vice-province (C 157-158), and as main goal is ‘to promote the life and mission of the Congregation’ with the autonomy that belongs to it.

There are some 14 Vice-provinces in the Congregation: 8 in Africa, 3 in Asia, 1 in America and 1 in Oceania (+1 Special circumscription in Europe). Numerically the largest is the ITM (Indonesia-Timor Leste: 200 SDB) and the smallest is PGS (47 SDB).

To build day by day your provincial community (C 58) is a responsibility not only of the superior but each of the confreres can offer a valuable contribution, according these verbs - “loving concern, takes care, rejoices, grieves, attentive, coordinates, evaluates, stimulates, cultivates the spirit of brotherhood, provides for continuity…”

(3) Blessed Philip Rinaldi – Patron and ongoing Model - inspiration

Each province and each canonical community is dedicate to some Saint. What does it mean for you to be a ‘Vice-province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi’?

Pondering on your choice that emerged during last twelve months of preparation to start the new vice-province, I realized that third successor of Don Bosco is indeed a very fitting model for the PGS. I would like to suggest just a brief invitation to discover your Patron from many different angles:

• Second Don Bosco: Faithful disciple of Don Bosco and his Charism
  • Missionary zeal: Wise animator of the Congregation with a missionary slant – 3000 missionaries sent, Ivrea and other missionary Aspirantate, Vicariates
  • Man of God: Deep faith and spiritual guide, ‘Meditation … meditation’!
  • (Re) Founder of Salesian Family: Past Pupils, Cooperators, VDB…
  • Son of Mary: Mary did it all – strong devotion to Mary Help of Christians

(4) What could we learn from the consultation process?

As you know the consultation process is not just a simple formality. It’s part of the ongoing community discernment (listen – interpret – way forward) with many fruits!

I handed back to Fr. Peter the main results of the consultation – summary of the 43 contributions about your situation with its light and shadows and next 6 years priorities.

It’s exciting to confront the 3 main elements of our identity: mission – consecration – communion (art. 3 SDB Constitutions) and your provincial vision emerging from the consultation. According your opinion among the main priorities are the following:

1. Strengthen formation: qualifications, structures, aspirants (75%)
  2. Give special importance to the vocation ministry and care for local vocations (50%)
  3. Answer the needs of poor youngsters, go beyond our institutions (50%)
  4. Send more (new) missionaries to the Vice-province (25%)
  5. Consolidate the quality and quantitative consistency of our communities (25%)

(5) PGS Vice-province within the EAO region and world-wide Congregation?

Our Congregation is welcomed and shares Don Bosco Charism in 132 countries. What does it mean to growth in communion within the SDB world community (C59)?

To grow in communion with the Rector Major and the whole Congregations is a matter of death or life. We know how to end the provinces who took ‘their own course’!

There is nobody so rich that does not need the gifts of others and there is nobody so poor that he can’t enrich the others provinces. I’m not sure if you are aware about the opportunities that your vice-province can share with the region and the congregation!

During the discernment in the General council was pointed at one special quality of the PGS Vice-province. Probably you are among the best Salesian ‘missionary training places’ around the EAO region and around the Congregation – both for lay mission volunteers and for the consecrated Salesians who are looking for confirm of their missionary vocation (especially during the period of practical training). This special gift should be developed for the good of the Congregation!

(6) Growing with the charismatic inspiration of GC27

Our Congregation points and deepens every six years one important charismatic element for the growth of all 15.000 Salesians, 2000+ communities and 87 provinces.

During the recent General Chapter 27 we were given three-fold path leading to the future of Congregation, in order to make our confreres and communities deeply rooted. in Jesus and Don Bosco. During this 6 year period “Witnessing is our First Mission”

• First: focus on our journey with Jesus in the Spirit (MYSTICS in the SPIRIT)
  • Second: focus on family spirit amongst us (PROPHETS of FRATERNITY)
  • Third: focus on our mission for & with the youth (SERVANTS of the YOUNG)

Take the GC27 Biblical Icon of “Jesus – Vine Tree” not only as decoration of your community chapel, but as the ongoing inspiration and animation in our life!

20160710_PGS1.jpg

20160710_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5525(I)_Witnesses of Faith: Treasures of the Salesian Family

ALA_5525 By our own correspondent EAO Region, 4 December 2020 -- We have moved into Advent time, when we are also moved by Hope. During our challenging times we struggle with hope-filled convictions and a hopeful life-style. In this situat...
    Date2020.12.04 CategoryEAO Reply2 Views1098 file
    Read More
  2. 5524(II)_Thoughts of Blessed Philip Rinaldi for his Feast on 5 December

ALA_5524 By own correspondent World, 3 December 2020 -- Next Saturday, 5 December, the whole Salesian Family remembers the liturgical memory of Blessed Philip Rinaldi (1856-1931), the third successor of Don Bosco, one of the most genial so...
    Date2020.12.03 CategoryWorld Reply7 Views1142 file
    Read More
  3. 5524(I)_Bisperas Sa Veritas – Sweet Sixteen

ALA_5524 By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 3 December 2020 -- Bisperas Sa Veritas, a weekly radio program that helps listeners and viewers prepare themselves for the Sunday liturgy, celebrated its 16th anniversary last Nov...
    Date2020.12.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views732 file
    Read More
  4. 5523(II)_SAVIO HAUS Oratory Day 2020

ALA_5523 By Lucy Napitalai Bomana (Port Moresby), PNG, Sunday 29 November 2020 -- As the year draws to an end, the three Oratory centers: Bomana, Keto and Nebiri (situated on the outskirts of Port Moresby) with over two hundred fifty (250)...
    Date2020.12.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views576 file
    Read More
  5. 5523(I)_Six-year journey with the first Filipino CDB (Con Don Bosco) vocations

ALA_5523 By Fr. Eli Cruz CDB Ecclesiastical Assistant Canlubang - Philippines, 2 December 2020 -- A few days before the first profession of the CDB (Con Don Bosco = With Don Bosco), Salesian (Men) Secular Institute, we are happy to share t...
    Date2020.12.02 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1082 file
    Read More
  6. 5522(II)_VIE Province: Salesian Brother Andrew Pham Tat Hoi Celebrates his Feastday and Golden Jubilee of Religious Profession

ALA_5522 By Br. Pham hong Phuoc, SDB Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 30 November 2020 -- On the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle, Salesian brother Andrew Pham Tat Hoi celebrated his patron saint and golden jubilee of religious profession. Fr Jos...
    Date2020.12.01 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views641 file
    Read More
  7. 5522(I)_Requiem Mass for Deceased Members of the Salesian Family 2020

ALA_5522 By Salesian cooperator (CIN) Hong Kong, 25 November 2020 -- China Province offered a requiem mass on the day of the memorial of Mama Margherita at the Mary Help of Christians Parish (Tang Kong Po school). It is the Salesian Family...
    Date2020.12.01 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views974 file
    Read More
  8. 5521(II)_Michaelites celebrate 50 years in PNG

ALA_5521 By Simon Mokot Kuli Parish, Jiwaka, Mt Hagen, PNG, November 2020 -- The congregation of Saint Michael the Archangel (CSMA), the Michaelites, celebrated fifty (50) years of humble service in PNG, at Kuli Parish, Mt. Hagen Archdioce...
    Date2020.11.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2867 file
    Read More
  9. 5521(I)_New provincial delegate and 8 newly promised ASC in Korea

ALA_5521 By ASC social communication Seoul, Korea, 30 November 2020 -- The annual promise of new members was celebrated with the utmost wholehearted and careful preparation of the whole Provincial Council of Salesian Cooperators in Korea. ...
    Date2020.11.30 CategoryASC Reply0 Views614 file
    Read More
  10. 5520(V)_Heart of Life: First full time course spiritual director graduate from PGS - Fr Shoji

ALA_5520 By Fr. Shoji, SDB PGS Vice-province, 28 November 2020 -- "At the outset I would like to place on record my profound gratitude to my PGS vice province for sending me to attend this particular Siloam programme at Heart of Life in Me...
    Date2020.11.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views530 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 536 Next
/ 536