?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 4489 Comment 5
20150619_CIN.jpg

By Fr. Dolphie Sequeira, SDB

Massive migration is one of the most impressive signs of our times. Also around Greater China domestic or international migration is on the rise. Also in the prevalent Chinese society of Hong Kong is growing the presence of immigrants or permanent residents from all around the world. Even the Catholic diocese of Hong Kong claims more almost 100.000 non-Chinese believers.

Most of the South Asian minority groups belong to the lower socioeconomic strata, although many of them were born and raised in Hong Kong. Their total population is about 42.000 or 11% of the ethnic minority groups. The majority of them believe in Hinduism, Islam and Sikhism. Their countries of origin are Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan or India. Community or social services for these communities are not adequate and especially the youth and women are the most underprivileged. Many of them are in search of work, but find themselves in difficult situations as they do not have the qualifications of skills to claim proper employment.

The Province of China wanted to see if they could do something for them with the help of Salesians from India. Thanks to initial mediation by the Councilor for the Missions in 2012, the province of Chennai answered in very positive way. After an initiative of Fr. Peter Newberry sponsored by the China SDB Provincial and his council, in early 2013 arrived to Hong Kong two Indian Salesians, Fr. Dolphie Sequiera and Fr. Amala Vinoth for a three-month study of the situation of the South Asian immigrant youth at risk there. Since November 2013 Fr. Dolphie is a member of St. Louis Community, Pok-Fu-Lam Road in Western Hong Kong.

I'm Fr Dolphie Sequeira, I am from India and belong to the Province of Chennai (St Thomas). Two years ago myself and Fr. Vinoth were invited to Hong Kong to conduct a  basic research about the South Asian youth. After this initial stage the China province accepted the research and agreed to support the South Asian Youth Services. Hence, I opted to help out in this work for the Salesian province of China and arrived on 16th November, 2013. I’m based in the St.Louis School community with 12 confreres of eight different nationalities.

At present the major activities of South Asia Youth Services are:

1. Eucharist for South Asian Catholic community on the first Sunday of every month. After the Mass there is a sharing, games or Gospel movies and recollection.
  2. Oratory in Tung Chung (Lantau island, near the Hong Kong airport). Based in one Catholic primary school, about fifty South Asian teenagers come every Sunday. Animated by the Salesian Cooperators and some young animators
  3. Seminars and Camps for Schools with many migrant youth (eg. Sir Ellis Kadoori, Caritas Tuen Mun Maradon foundation)
  4. Youth swimming in Hong Kong (Kennedy Town) and Lan Tau (Tung Chung)
  5. Hip hopt training for teenagers
  6. Tution classes for South Asians in Cantonese language, Mathematics and English class
  7. Youth Camps at Don Bosco Youth Center in Cheng Chau island
  8. Tamil language tutions in Wah Tan College for some 130 school children
  9. Outreach work for the young in the streets

The Province of China was  helpful to establish this mission among the South Asians. Fr. Provincial and his council on one hand and our community of St. Louis, especially Fr Peter Newbery and Fr. Jojo Garcia are very supportive. My main funding is from Don Bosco Charity and Salesian province. Above this I totally believe in Divine Providence. I would like to give thanks for all persons who are encouraging me for all these initiatives taken for and with the poor migrants South Asian Youth.

New frontiers of migration are just starting. The Salesians in Hong Kong have twelve schools. In one secondary school located in New Territories, one third of the population is of Pakistani origin and the students are assisted by some Urdu speaking teaching staff. Probably in the future more and more families and youth will be moving out of their countries of origin. Like the first Salesians in Argentina in 1875, also today the sons of Don Bosco strive to journey together with the migrant, when possible. Also Fr. Dolphie is praying that one more Indian confrere will join him soon in this not-so-easy but very meaningful mission.

20150619_CIN1.jpg

20150619_CIN2.jpg

20150619_CIN3.jpg

20150619_CIN4.jpg

20150619_CIN5.jpg

20150619_CIN6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • GThadathil 2015.06.19 11:39

Congrats and thanks for the piece. Great news of salesian work that has almost a bicentennial origin and yet so timely and meaningful. 

George

• vaclav 2015.06.19 18:12

To the Provincials of South Asia (11 provinces)

Dear Provincials, 

Here is a write up of South Asia Migrant Ministry in HONG KONG.
    At present there is Fr. Dolphie Sequeira from INM who works for this group - the poorest among the migrant workers in Hong Kong. They are youth from South Asia, our Region.

The provincial of Hong Kong, the Regional of East Asia and the Missions Councillor have requested me again to find someone to work along, because at least two confreres are needed for this work.
    This is a work much appreciated by the Salesians of Hong Kong.

I have spoken about this need to you all earlier. Could you actively look for someone to go along and work in Hong Kong for a period of time. He should a confrere who should be energetic, outgoing, etc. If he can speak some Hindi, it would be good, but not completely necessary. Please find someone from your province so that we can send him at least by January when you get new priests, or at least by next May.

Hope you will actively look for someone - and increase the global presence of South Asia!

Fr. Arokiam Maria Kanaga

• AKG 2015.06.19 19:51

Really this is great work for our youth. This is much liked by me, and I would like join this and like to journey with youth......

• Micael 2015.07.21 08:49

我的(一只)小皮夾在你那裡?

主佑一切.

Love. Michael

• ssh 2016.09.01 02:00

FR. DOLPHIE --- PLEASE RELPY/EMAIL. COMING TO HONG Kong AND India IN EARLY January. Would like to visit. Susan Hayes  ---sshroxy@hotmail

1. 5568(I)_Happy New Year of the Ox

By our own correspondent EAO Region, 12 February 2021 -- As for every year in most of the East Asian countries, the Lunar New Year celebrations are of utmost importance, being celebrated as the Spring Festival - we may say like Christmas ce...
    Date2021.02.12 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views720 file
    Read More
  2. 5567(III)_Fostering Human Dignity

Missionary Message for the 11th of the month of February 2021 By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG 10 February 2021 -- Today, respect for the human person in his or her uniqueness and fundamental rights is a shar...
    Date2021.02.12 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1113 file
    Read More
  3. 5567(II)_Korea - second ADMA group gets ready in Seoul

By Sr Susanna Lee, FMA ADMA Spiritual Animator Seoul, South Korea, 11 February 2021 -- With the new ADMA spiritual animator, Fr. Alejandro Guevara, the ADMA networking around the world has been given renewed impetus. The EAO region too, ove...
    Date2021.02.12 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views525 file
    Read More
  4. No Image

5567(I)_Pope Francis' address to the diplomatic corp

2021 World panorama By AsiaNews The traditional new year address of the Pope was transferred to 8 February. Among the large group of diplomats accredited to the Holy See were also a few members of the Salesian Family, including some Don Bos...
    Date2021.02.12 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views596
    Read More
  5. 5566_Gathering the wisdom of the 2021 SF Spirituality Days (VDB)

By Volunteers of Don Bosco (VDB) Secular Institute Seoul, South Korea, 8 February 2021 -- Among the EAO participants of the SF Spirituality Days 2021 (online) was also a good representation of VDB members among the 15 different groups of 11...
    Date2021.02.08 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views628 file
    Read More
  6. 5565(II)_Peace Day Pakistan

By Bro. Faraz Darshan Masih SDB Lahore, Pakistan, 5 February 2021 -- Salesians of Don Bosco from Lahore and Quetta, with the collaboration a group of lay people and Salesian Cooperator Mr. Afzal Aftab, organized a “Peace day” ac...
    Date2021.02.08 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views1043 file
    Read More
  7. 5565(I)_First joint ASC event of South Asia & EAO Regions

ASC EAO/SA, 3 February 2021 -- Just two weeks after the successful online SF Spirituality Days with more than 1100 EAO members together in real time, 30 January was a red-letter day for the Association of Salesian Cooperators in the EAO and...
    Date2021.02.08 CategoryASC Reply0 Views885 file
    Read More
  8. 5564(IV)_Kerema Undergoes COVID-19 Awareness

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 5 February 2021 -- Selected Catholic Mission schools and parishes surrounding Kerema Town in the Gulf Province have undergone an assessment and awareness program to determine the level of literacy in regar...
    Date2021.02.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2507 file
    Read More
  9. 5564(III)_Three final professions in Australia-Pacific Province

By Fr. Will Matthews, SDB PROVINCIAL Australia-Pacific (AUL) Melbourne, Australia, 4 February 2021 -- Many members of the Salesian Family in Melbourne celebrated the solemnity of St John Bosco at the parish church next door to Don Bosco For...
    Date2021.02.05 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views5661 file
    Read More
  10. 5564(II)_Message of Cardinal Charles Maung Bo

To the People of Myanmar And our International communities Myanmar, 4 February 2021: My dear Friends, I write these lines as a spiritual leader, empathizing with the sentiments of millions of people at this moment. I write to my dear people...
    Date2021.02.05 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1258 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 535 Next
/ 535