austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Fr. Peter Porio, SDB in  Don Bosco Tainan, Taiwan

By Fr. John Baptist Zen, SDB

Tainan, Taiwan, 6 February 2016 - Dear friends in Christ and in Don Bosco. Many thanks for your message prompted by love and concern.

This morning our dear Rector, Fr. Matthew, and other Salesians, as scheduled, went to take part in a great re-union of Consecrated persons organized by the Diocese of Tainan and the Religious Congregations of Men and Women living in the Diocese of Tainan.

Early in the morning or in the deep night, at 03:57 a great earthquake took place: the epicenter is in a mountain town only some 40-50kms away from the city of Tainan, therefore also from our Salesian Technical School and our Mary Help of Christians Parish.

The Salesian quarter is on the fourth floor of a school building, built in 1968; some confreres live in an older wing built in 1964. In this school year exceptionally 13 Salesians live here; out of the group, four young Salesians hailing from Italy, Africa and Vietnam, are here studying the beautiful Chinese language. Providentially they went to Hong Kong the other day; so they missed the experience of a strong earthquake.

Awaken by the heavy tremor, we all got up, first thing to discover is the mess in our own rooms, with books, notes, pictures some souvenir or religious articles scattered on the floor. When I arrived at the main hall, I discovered the statues of Mary Help of Christians, of Our Lady of Vietnam, of St Joseph, with heads and arms broken and, excuse me for the expression, with the sacred heads detached from the bodies. The Statue of Our Lady of Zo-se' (or She-shan) resisted the shock and remain intact, because is made of bronze!!!

I am tempted to say; OUR LADY, VIRGO POTENS, IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE SATAN, GUISED IN THE FORM OF AN EARTHQUAKE. (This is good lesson for our faith!). The wooden stand of a Crucifix is broken, the painting of St. Dominic Savio, one meter long, is peacefully laying on the ground; the picture of St. Mary Mazzarello and Sts. Versiglia and Caravario remain untroubled, as their size is smaller and lighter!

The missionary from Vietnam put the statue of O.L. M.H.C, somehow removed for a few inches, back to her throne. The solid Tabernacle remains unshaken. Some pictures of our deceased confreres who have lived and worked in Taiwan, particularly in Tainan, fell in the turmoil and have been put back by that same priest from Vietnam.

In the dining room, almost everything is okay, even some "panettone" left over since Christmas time remain undisturbed on top of the cupboard. Haha!

Outside, on the veranda, The Rector, Fr. Matthew and the economer, Fr. Andrew, together with the "factotum" of the school who lives not far away from the school, called by emergency and rushed to out school, are busy to stop the water running out from the broken pipes.

May I stop here to describe all what happened in the school compound which is 40,000 square meters large. Any way the earthquake did not harm our four basket courts, two volleyball courts and our lawn football campus.

The 6-meters tall Statue of Jesus Saviour on the roof of the new 6-floor building is well safe, as inside there is an iron skeleton. He looks after all our School. Sorry, I did not yet check the smaller, only one meter tall, statue of St. Joseph the Worker, Patron of this Professional and Technical, on the top of the oldest building. I suppose he must look after himself and also all his children below.

What about our parish? While we were checking our quarters, the parish priest, hailing from Vietnam, rushed to the parish building, just cross the Yu-nung Road. As he reported us this morning at the breakfast time, he found something similar to our situation, namely the holy statues on the floor with broken arms and heads.

One thing could be considered as a fortune or a misfortune. Let me explain. The parish church, capable of some 120 persons on the ground floor of a two-floors building, with a third floor later illegally added, was built in 1966, exactly 50 years ago. To be honest, it is sufficiently strong and safe, but certainly not up to the infinite dignity of the Almighty God.

For several years it is hoped in several circles to build a new Church, stronger and more decent place to honour God and the Saints. Due to several reasons, our good Superiors did not yet make that decision. So someone, including the poor undersigned wished that some night, while nobody is inside the church building, it collapse in the middles of an earthquake. Unfortunately, in this respects, the church building is still on the ground, though the statues are laying on the floor.

Hopefully some of our good superiors come to visit us in such a difficult moment. In the mean time let us pray. While I write these lines on behalf of the Rector absent for a solemn religious service, ambulance cars are sounding and running outside the school building.

One more report from Fr. Peter Porio, SDB

February 6, 2016 at 3:57 a.m., I was awaken by the 6.4 magnitude earthquake shaking the 4 storey building. I jumped out of bed and run outside my room to see if anything destroyed. I saw the water-pipe broken with much water flowing out. After some minutes the all the salesians came out.

At our morning Mass, we thank the Lord for keeping us all safe and sound.

After breakfast, we inspected the school and the parish. Everything was alright. That's why we see Fr. Matthew li Min Tri smiling in front of the school. Praise God.. God is good all the time.

20160206_CIN1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • BBC WORLD News

_88135337_38f00098-d29d-4e9f-88a0-e7707112ca36.jpg

Tainan

_88133934_88133790.jpg

Taiwan

_88133785_88133784.jpg

• vaclav 2016.02.11 01:39

Feb 10 - new update

The latest news that we received is as we have known that we have found one family of our students who are hit by the disaster. They are three blood brothers and sister who are studying in our school as the third, second and first year. the youngest one was died yesterday after finding her in the mess, while the second still missing... The eldest brother also found still alive but upto now still in the ICU of the Cheng-kung Hospital. And tonight, we received the sad news that the second brother also found out already rest in peace in the mess (probably already dead on that very day, but could not recognized by anyone). What a pity. Let's pray for their eternal rest and may God give their family great condolences.
    During these days, the ambulances work almost day and night and our Tainan Diocese also set up a station at the spot to aid and assist those who are in need. 
    We are all now still living without water supply. The earliest for this might be on Wednesday, if not, maybe upto next Sunday.
    May the Good Lord protect his people, especially those who are most in need now in Tainan.
    If there is any further news, I will try my best to update, or at least, I will ask help from our Rev. Fr. John Zen.
    United in Jesus Christ - the Merciful One.

1. 5571(III)_Don Bosco Green Alliance in Shuwuu, Ulaanbaatar

By Fr. Mario Gaspar, SDB Shuwuu, Mongolia, 19 February 2021 -- The Salesians took over the mission in Shuwuu, after the handover from the Mongolia Apostolic Vicar, late Bishop Wenceslaus Padilla in 2016. The first time we arrived there were...
    Date2021.02.18 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1415 file
    Read More
  2. 5571(II)_PNG: Laudato Si, Resource Manual

For the animation of parishes, schools and youth groups By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 18 February 2021 -- Papua New Guinea is blessed with the wonder and beauty of nature. We delight in watching the unique ‘bird of pa...
    Date2021.02.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views903 file
    Read More
  3. 5571(I)_PNG: "Give and it shall be given to you"

By Ms. Joan Eko Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu, Port Moresby PNG, 18 February 2021 -- Held on Wednesday, 17 February, the theme of the celebration was “Give and it shall be given back to you” Luke 6:38. Archbishop Francesco P...
    Date2021.02.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1121 file
    Read More
  4. 5570(II)_Salesian Family in Action - Covid Year Solidarity

'Don Bosco Solidarity in Covid Times' published By our own correspondent RMG, 17 February 2021 -- The Covid Solidarity of the worldwide Salesian Family becomes visible through a newly published book 'One Family - One Father'...
    Date2021.02.17 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1128 file
    Read More
  5. 5570(I)_Italy Salesian Bulletin reports on FMA in Myanmar

By Ms. Petra Slivjnek BS (Italy) FMA Mission Office-Germany, 17 February 2021 -- After the powerful cyclone in 2008, countless people fled from many destroyed villages to the metropolitan area of Yangon with 4 million. Difficult social cond...
    Date2021.02.17 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views814 file
    Read More
  6. 5569(VI)_An experience of prayer and formation

By Anne Dobbin (ADMA Aspirant) Gabutu (PM) PNG, 16 February 2021 -- In preparation for the feast of St. John Bosco, parishioners, the staff of Don Bosco Technical School (DBTS) and their families gathered for a time of spiritual journey thr...
    Date2021.02.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views949 file
    Read More
  7. 5569(V)_DB Green Alliance grows with simple storytelling

By Ms Taichi Miranda EAO ECO team coordinator EAO, 16 February 2021 -- During the third EAO Eco Team online meeting (Feb 15, 2021) we were happy to host the Don Bosco Green Alliance main office (location Mumbai - India) team - Mr. Macson Al...
    Date2021.02.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views2358 file
    Read More
  8. 5569(IV)_Salesian Spirituality Seminar online held in Japan Province

By SDB Prenovice Lorenzo Ruiz Kenji Hasegawa Chofu, Tokyo, Japan, 15 February 2021 -- The Salesian Family in Japan province (GIA) held the annual Salesian Family Spirituality Seminar inspired from the strenna “Moved by Hope” on ...
    Date2021.02.16 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views607 file
    Read More
  9. 5569(III)_2021 Lenten Message of Pope Francis

Faith - Hope - Love Vatican City, 14 February 2021 -- Pope Francis released a short 2021 Lenten season message (17 Feb: Ash Wednesday to 4 Apr: Easter Sunday) inviting us to renew our Faith-Hope-Love during these 40 days. The Pope's mes...
    Date2021.02.16 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1023 file
    Read More
  10. 5569(II)_We continue to pray for the people of Myanmar

By our own correspondent Myanmar 14 February 2021 -- After 1 February, the daily Eucharistic adoration in one Salesian community in front of the Blessed Sacrament broadcast LIVE we witness this cry of the heart: "Oh Lord, my God, let this c...
    Date2021.02.16 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views916 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 537 Next
/ 537