?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20160630_PGS.jpg

Sharing at the end of his family and home visit in Korea, June 2016

By Fr Stephen Yu, SDB

Tetere, Solomon Islands, 30 June 2016 -- During my stay in Korea I spend good time with my parents and Salesians. This 'vacation' time was a good chance to reflect on the role of the missionary in his mission place as well in his home land and home province.

I'm very grateful for all who support me with their prayers, for all who listen to my missionary sharing.

Before any material help we feel the support of many faithful prayer benefactors. Thanks to their sacrifice and prayers we are able to go ahead in the not-so-easy environment of the Pacific. In the same time I am more aware about the impact of my happy missionary life witness on the Catholic community and Salesians in Korea. Yes, mission is not done by some individuals, it is a work of the Church community.

I'm also happy to share with the Korean Salesian Family members and AustraLasia readers our Tetere story in Solomon Islands:

In Don Bosco Tetere Community, we have two main works; one is parish which has 16 centers - communities, and the other one is Don Bosco Rural Training Center (RTC).

Don Bosco Rural Training Center is for the young who live in very isolated place, or for the poor young who are not able to continue to regular education. Almost all of them come from far places and islands, so all of them are boarders. Here, they get agricultural training; rice, root crop, cash crop, vegetable, livestock, natural farm, basic carpentry, and like skills in the Preventive System Spirituality. Unfortunately, many of them seriously need literacy and numeracy lessons. So every evening, after praying rosary all together, they have extra classes – literacy and numeracy. They are eager to learn.

It is not easy to work here because of lack of confreres. We are only three, one is rector and the parish priest, the other one is the principal and boarding house in charge, and the last one is a practical trainee. However, thanks be to God, the teachers and our lay mission partners are happy to join our mission. They are willing to sacrifice themselves for the young in RTC. For instance, they generously take extra works, after class time, like literacy and numeracy program, boarding house assistance, etc., without asking any compensation. It would be unusual in the Melanesian context. We, therefore, are able to create collaborating atmosphere together with the teachers based on trust.

In this Don Bosco’s House, study, work, prayer, and play are equally emphasized. All the students are invited to join all the schedules joyfully. We provide a lot of opportunities to develop their talents like music, sports, art etc which they have not know until they came to this school, even though we are lacking in materials.

Many students are not able to complete their school fee. Yet we never send them home due to school fee problem. We used to say “ we never send you home because of school fee, but, if you are not happy in this Don Bosco’s house, you would go home”. From time to time they create many problems as usual. Sometimes I would say, it would be better for you to transfer the other rural training center. In hearing this word, they become so sad and sorry, immediately they would ask to give one more chance. They really like and love this school. They would know that this Don Bosco’s house is the right place to stay. They have trust toward the Salesians and the teachers.

To pray together, to work together, to eat together and to play together is what Don Bosco wanted us to do; and we are doing it everyday here, DBRTC, another Valdocco in Solomon Islands. Come, Help us!

20160630_PGS1.jpg

20160630_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5662(II)_Perpetual profession of 3 EAO missionaries in Africa

Utume, Nairobi, Kenya, 3 August 2021 -- Last Saturday, 31 July, in the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Upper Hill, Nairobi - Kenya (AFE province), 10 young Salesians made their perpetual profession during the Eucharist celebrated by Fr. ...
    Date2021.08.03 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views919 file
    Read More
  2. 5662(I)_ADMA EAO Congress 2021 Registration open until August 15

By ADMA EAO Congress 2021 Steering Committee EAO 3 August 2021 -- On the first day of August 2021 the ADMA EAO Congress Steering Committee composed of the two EAO ADMA 'stronghold' countries - Timor Leste and the Philippines (TLS, F...
    Date2021.08.03 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views765 file
    Read More
  3. 5661_See Something Suspicious, Say Something

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 2 August 2021 -- Since the establishment of Papua New Guinea’s Whistleblower Act in 2020, young people are now making a genuine call to people of good will serving in the workforce to speak up and re...
    Date2021.08.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views740 file
    Read More
  4. 5660(IV)_The Reception of two new FMA postulants in Myanmar

“The Almighty has done great thing for me. Lk. 1:49” By Sr. Juliet Kwye Kwye, FMA Anisakan (Myanmar), 30 July 2021 -- On 24 July 2021, on the day of the Commemoration of Mary Help of Christians, two Myanmar young girls, Lucy and...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views1381 file
    Read More
  5. 5660(III)_August 2021 - EAO Time of Vocational Blessing

By our own correspondent Rome, 30 July 2021 -- In the Southern hemisphere the month of August is celebrated around the Salesian provinces as the 'Month of Don Bosco'. Our hope is that our Salesian Family members in Australia-Pacific...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryEAO Reply3 Views7674 file
    Read More
  6. 5660(II)_ADMA Spring in Indonesia - new Center in Jakarta

By Sr. Ernestina de Jesus, FMA Jakarta, Indonesia, 30 July 2021 -- For the upcoming EAO regional ADMA Congress any member of the Salesian Family is welcome! 11 years after the first EAO ADMA Congress in Paranaque (2010), there are many more...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryINA Reply0 Views825 file
    Read More
  7. 5660(I)_FMA: Dream big for the ladies

By Sr Cristina Villasanta, FMA Port Moresby, PNG, 30 July 2021 -- ‘Dream Big for the ladies’ was the encouragement of Sr. Mabel Pilar, FMA (former Provincial Superior) and Sr. Teresita Padron, FMA, the present Provincial, to the...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views659 file
    Read More
  8. 5659_Youth Leaders undergo Formation Training

By Christine Maden Rabaul, East New Britain, Papua New Guinea, 28 July 2021 -- Thirty-two youth leaders of the Mary Help of Christians (MHC) Parish, Rapolo, attended an intense one-day formation training at the Haus Sekan Retreat Center, Ra...
    Date2021.07.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  9. 5658(IV)_BEARERS: The Alumni of the Religious Education and Pastoral Communication Program of DBFC

By Alvin P. Gallo, past pupil of DBFC Lawaan, Cebu, The Philippines, 28 July 2021 -- It was at the birth of the college aspirancy in Don Bosco Lawaan that Fr. Randy Figuracion, SDB, Fr. Fidel Ma. Orendain, SDB, and Bro. Louie Domasian, SDB,...
    Date2021.07.27 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views713 file
    Read More
  10. 5658(III)_CTSS (Caritas) ladies celebrate Technical Day

By Isabella Saleu Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 27 July 2021 -- The Caritas Technical Secondary School (CTSS) celebrated its 25th Technical Day on 21 July 2021 with its theme “Dream, Believe, Achieve: Celebrating 25 Years of Excellence.&...
    Date2021.07.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views933 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... 537 Next
/ 537