?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180409_WOR.jpg

Vietnamese missionary in Brazil shares

By Cl. Joseph Tran Van Lich, SDB

São Paulo, Brazil, 9 April 2018 -- I arrived in Brazil at the end of 2014 as a Salesian in practical training. Now, I am doing theology in São Paulo. During this period of 4 years I went through several places of different cultures, where I acquired diverse cultural, social and ethnic experiences. I would like to share some of them.

When I arrived in Brazil, after two weeks that I stayed in the provincial house in Campo Grande (BCG province), after that stay I was sent directly to the indigenous mission. That time I could not speak Portuguese nor the Xavante language, the language that the people of the "promised land" speak. I arrived on the mission as a deaf and mute. Still, with little knowledge of English, I started the first year of practical training in a place that people do not speak Portuguese well, nor English. I was the "different" in that community. It was a difficult beginning, but rewarding as missionary experience, because I lived there for a year and a half. I am currently studying theology in the megapolis of Sao Paolo and would like to finish my studies soon in order to return to my "promised land", where I began the Salesian missionary life.

At the same time, I learned two cultures: Brazilian and ethnic minority (indigenous) culture of Xavantes. I had some moments that I wanted to return to my homeland, but I prayed and reflected, then decided to stay. From that moment of crisis, when I decided to stay, I found the strength and desire to learn the "new" language and my life began to change in the positive sense. I was looking for some work to do, some ways to play with children, and my life began to improve.

The most beautiful moments during my practical training with the Xavante mission was to have the opportunity to live with indigenous people. I had the opportunity to participate in a great cultural feast of the Xavante people called "Wai-a". This party usually happens only every fifteen years and I had the opportunity and joy to participate in this festive and enchanting moment.

After the participation of that feast with dancing and singing in the hot sun, without a T-shirt and without water. I stayed with the indigenous youths during the morning until 4:00 p.m., in this indigenous ritual I was recognized as one of their people and began to feel well.

After the period I lived in the Xavante village, I was sent to a city in the interior of Mato Grosso, where I took Portuguese classes and helped with a social work. I felt well when I could study the Brazilian - Portuguese language. But it was also not an easy time because we had to work in the Salesian social work from Monday to Friday most of the day (7:30 to 11:00, 13:00 to 17:00). On Saturday and Sunday I was involved in the Oratory. Portuguese classes took place three times a week, started at 5:30 p.m., and ended after an hour and a half. I felt tired many times, but the Salesian life is like that, always full of activities and challenges so I was tired, but I was not discouraged because I felt ‘this is my vocation, because I am a son of Don Bosco’.

During this time of practical training, I learned a lot from the young people. They taught me not only the language, but they also taught me how to open my heart. Many of the young people I knew had their hearts open. Many of them always asked me "do you need help?" Or "can I help you?" And even invited me when they had some pastoral activities. This is a beautiful characteristic of the youth. Moreover they are very creative. I met the young people who created services for the other young people and sought to carry them out into their group, and we Salesians only accompanied them.

Now, I am studying the second year of theology in a large formation community in Sao Paolo with many different cultures. We have amongst us also some missionaries – from Vietnam and from Indonesia as well from the various regions of large Brazil. All this makes me feel the richness of Salesian life. I have the opportunity to learn Brazilian culture from my fellow confreres. On the other hand, there is a great challenge in community life. We are many, so it is difficult to be a good friend with all confreres. Many times I felt loneliness because each one has his room, has his study. Usually we meet at meals and in prayers.

In these years of theology studies we are also involved in the apostolate in our works and parishes. Since last year I go to one Oratory with two hundred youths and children on Saturday and one hundred and seventy on Sunday. I love that Oratory because I meet their my favourites, the poor young people! With them, I feel fulfilled and happy in my vocation as Salesian of Don Bosco.

I am happy to have this opportunity to remember, review and share my Salesian life. At the end of this sharing I would like to share two points with the young Salesian of the EAO region about the missionary spirit: The first – ‘Be more Salesian, because one who lives more closely with our Constitutions is already a missionary! The second is an invitation to a deep Salesian joy, a joy that is born within, and spreads in intimacy with Jesus Christ. It’s like a smile that has deep roots, because this joy will help many young people to overcome many difficulties and challenges of their life. Challenges, defects always exist, but Joy also exists and we have the ability to choose the Joy!

20180409_WOR1.jpg

20180409_WOR2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6286_Celebration of St. John Bosco in TLS Vice-Province

By TLS SocCom Team Lospalos, 4 February 2024 -- On the celebration of our Father and Founder St. John Bosco on 31 January, Bishop Leandro Maria Alves (Bishop of the Diocese of Baucau) celebrated the solemn Eucharist with the Salesian Family...
    Date2024.02.04 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views119 file
    Read More
  2. 6285_Salesian Family Day Vietnam 2024

By Viet SocCom Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 4 February 2024 -- In the last days of the Year of the Cat, people from all over the country are eagerly preparing to return home to welcome the new spring. Immersed in a cultural atmosphere imbued with na...
    Date2024.02.04 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views90 file
    Read More
  3. 6284_Muslim students dreaming with Don Bosco

By Fr. John Laba, SDB Tigaraksa, Indonesia, 3 February 2024 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco Tigaraksa Community, located in Tangerang Regency, Indonesia, is known as a formation house in INA Vice Province. There is also a training center call...
    Date2024.02.04 CategoryINA Reply0 Views347 file
    Read More
  4. 6283_Don Bosco Celebrations, Pakistan

By Piero Ramello SDB Lahore, Pakistan, 3 February 2024 -- On Friday, 12 January, the staff of the Don Bosco Lahore Technical and Youth Centre gathered to prepare for the celebration of Don Bosco. Activities were planned, and tasks were assi...
    Date2024.02.03 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views91 file
    Read More
  5. 6282_Joint Celebration of Don Bosco’s Feast Day in CIN Formation House

By Salesian House of Study Hong Kong, China, 3 February 2024 -- It has been a decades-long tradition for the Salesian House of Studies to send invitations to the Holy Spirit Seminary, as well as to all the students and professors at the Hol...
    Date2024.02.03 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views323 file
    Read More
  6. 6281_Pilgrims of hope on the path of peace

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar 2 February 2024 -- On the feast day of the Presentation of the Lord, some 130 consecrated persons from Pyin Oo Lwin and Mandalay Zones joined together at the Shrine of MHC to celebrate “World D...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views110 file
    Read More
  7. 6280_Seeing Existing Potential and Applying It to Society

By Asp. Gilbredt Steven Sumba, Indonesia, 3 February 2024 -- Don Bosco Training Center of Sumba made a breakthrough by establishing an Internet Tower for the community in Southwest Sumba. They strive to continue working to build the land of...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryINA Reply0 Views49 file
    Read More
  8. 6279_Sharing the Spirit and Joy of St John Bosco With Young People in Sumba

By Asp. Gilbredt Steven Sumba, Indonesia, 2 February 2024 -- January is a very important month for the Salesian family. This month of January is filled with various important celebrations of Salesian saints, especially St Francis of Sales a...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryINA Reply0 Views59 file
    Read More
  9. 6278_DBYC Lawaan: Youth Vigil on Don Bosco's Feast Day

By Jesha Marie Tan Lawaan, Cebu, the Philippines, 2 February 2024 -- On 27 January 2024, the Don Bosco Youth Center-Lawaan organized its annual youth vigil titled 'Natug ka bai? Uswagi Gamay!' with the theme: BahanDREAMS: Dila-ab Sa...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views29 file
    Read More
  10. 6277_Australia-Pacific Provincial installed on St John Bosco’s Feast Day

By Fr. Hoang, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 2 February 2024 – It was a ‘family affair’ in so many ways: the installation of the new Salesian Provincial of the Australia-Pacific Province, Fr Peter Hoang, brought together Salesi...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views167 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 536 Next
/ 536