NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2017.11.27 15:43

4565_The reality of the missions

Views 613 Comment 0

20171127_PGS.jpg

An interesting and unforgettable experience: 

Melanie Ferreira shares her experience of a months volunteering in Papua New Guinea

By Melanie Ferreira

Port Moresby, PNG, 27 November 2017 -- After 5 years of study, with a two and a half hour ride each way to my college, late hours in project work and assignments, and having graduated with a Bachelors in Architecture, it was now time for a break. The invitation of ‘work cum enjoyment’ holiday intrigued me, and I consented to the invitation of my uncle priest, Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb. My mum was supportive, dad a bit troubled, my sister wondered what had gone into me and my friends thought I was crazy. Before arriving in PNG, I researched and reflected on Papua New Guinea. I read up a decent bit, about the people, the native wildlife, the city of Port Moresby, the provinces, the country in general and tourist experiences. I was struck by the beautiful ‘Bird of Paradise’, its history, ancestors and customs, but nothing prepared me for the most amazing, enriching, interesting and unforgettable experience of my life.

The first aspect of PNG that I noticed, was that the city had decent public roads. The roads around Port Moresby were a pleasant surprise but the land circumscribed by it was deserted, with only a few buildings and homes along the coastal road edge. I come from Mumbai and I’m accustomed to a high density of people and things in a small area, so arriving in Port Moresby and seeing the sparseness of the capital of PNG was strange for me. The experiences of many tourists were unfortunately very negative and I was privileged enough to have overwhelmingly positive encounters with every aspect of Papua New Guinea. Reading about the country didn’t truly match up to what I experienced, there is a lot of violence, but I found that on the whole, a majority of people were extremely kind and jovial.

The first institute I worked at was Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu. I worked with was the Short Term I.T course students. They were a fun, mischievous class but during my two-day workshop with them, they were very attentive and eager to learn about shapes and paper modelling. They co-operated and pulled out great results from a workshop that was clearly outside of their curriculum.

Working at Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko was exciting because I got to view a college and its students from a professors’ point of view, when just a few months ago I was a student too! The professors were dedicated and it was such a pleasure to observe and participate in their classes.

Residing at the Mary Our Help Hostel, DBTI campus for about a week and a half and the Salesian Sisters and hostel girls really made me feel at home! They were all so kind and gregarious, I truly felt accepted from the first day.

The experience that struck me most was the random friendliness my uncle and I found in one of the villages we stopped at, on our way to Kerema. We stopped at a tiny village to have a papaya and the people of this village, spoke to us with no formalities or apprehensions, just a natural curiosity. Araimiri is the place that made my Papuan experience unique. The journey, the jungle, the humidity and the people, all of which combined together, gave me an inner feel that our young people are eager and searching for something greater!

My time in ‘The Land of the Unexpected’ has taught me to be open to new experiences. I went without any presumptions about what PNG and the people are like, and I believe that, this served me well. I had a great time, talking and listening to the foreigners and locals, following a different routine compared to what I am familiar with, and touring a small part of the country. If you want a unique experience of culture and customs, keep an open mind and hold no assumptions! PNG is sure to prove most expectations wrong, and hopefully, the country and its people, will always shine with a positive light.

20171127_PGS1.jpg

20171127_PGS2.jpg

20171127_PGS3.jpg

20171127_PGS4.jpg

20171127_PGS5.jpg

20171127_PGS6.jpg

20171127_PGS7.jpg

20171127_PGS8.jpg

20171127_PGS9.jpg

20171127_PGS10.jpg

20171127_PGS11.jpg

20171127_PGS12.jpg

20171127_PGS13.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6285_Salesian Family Day Vietnam 2024

By Viet SocCom Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 4 February 2024 -- In the last days of the Year of the Cat, people from all over the country are eagerly preparing to return home to welcome the new spring. Immersed in a cultural atmosphere imbued with na...
    Date2024.02.04 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views89 file
    Read More
  2. 6284_Muslim students dreaming with Don Bosco

By Fr. John Laba, SDB Tigaraksa, Indonesia, 3 February 2024 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco Tigaraksa Community, located in Tangerang Regency, Indonesia, is known as a formation house in INA Vice Province. There is also a training center call...
    Date2024.02.04 CategoryINA Reply0 Views347 file
    Read More
  3. 6283_Don Bosco Celebrations, Pakistan

By Piero Ramello SDB Lahore, Pakistan, 3 February 2024 -- On Friday, 12 January, the staff of the Don Bosco Lahore Technical and Youth Centre gathered to prepare for the celebration of Don Bosco. Activities were planned, and tasks were assi...
    Date2024.02.03 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views91 file
    Read More
  4. 6282_Joint Celebration of Don Bosco’s Feast Day in CIN Formation House

By Salesian House of Study Hong Kong, China, 3 February 2024 -- It has been a decades-long tradition for the Salesian House of Studies to send invitations to the Holy Spirit Seminary, as well as to all the students and professors at the Hol...
    Date2024.02.03 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views323 file
    Read More
  5. 6281_Pilgrims of hope on the path of peace

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar 2 February 2024 -- On the feast day of the Presentation of the Lord, some 130 consecrated persons from Pyin Oo Lwin and Mandalay Zones joined together at the Shrine of MHC to celebrate “World D...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views110 file
    Read More
  6. 6280_Seeing Existing Potential and Applying It to Society

By Asp. Gilbredt Steven Sumba, Indonesia, 3 February 2024 -- Don Bosco Training Center of Sumba made a breakthrough by establishing an Internet Tower for the community in Southwest Sumba. They strive to continue working to build the land of...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryINA Reply0 Views48 file
    Read More
  7. 6279_Sharing the Spirit and Joy of St John Bosco With Young People in Sumba

By Asp. Gilbredt Steven Sumba, Indonesia, 2 February 2024 -- January is a very important month for the Salesian family. This month of January is filled with various important celebrations of Salesian saints, especially St Francis of Sales a...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryINA Reply0 Views59 file
    Read More
  8. 6278_DBYC Lawaan: Youth Vigil on Don Bosco's Feast Day

By Jesha Marie Tan Lawaan, Cebu, the Philippines, 2 February 2024 -- On 27 January 2024, the Don Bosco Youth Center-Lawaan organized its annual youth vigil titled 'Natug ka bai? Uswagi Gamay!' with the theme: BahanDREAMS: Dila-ab Sa...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views29 file
    Read More
  9. 6277_Australia-Pacific Provincial installed on St John Bosco’s Feast Day

By Fr. Hoang, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 2 February 2024 – It was a ‘family affair’ in so many ways: the installation of the new Salesian Provincial of the Australia-Pacific Province, Fr Peter Hoang, brought together Salesi...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views167 file
    Read More
  10. 6276_Celebrations for Don Bosco Hanoi

By Paul Minh Luận, SDB Hanoi- Vietnam, 1 February 2024 -- On 31 January, the Salesian Family of the North met at Don Bosco Van Phuc community to share Strenna 2024, celebrating the Feast of Don Bosco. The Regional Superior, Father Joseph Ng...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views79 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 536 Next
/ 536