Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180321_AUL.jpg

Australian Catholic Church to hold first Plenary Council 

in 80 years

By Our Own Correspondent

Perth, Australia, 20 March 2018 -- "Together, we are on a journey of listening to God by listening to one another. We invite all Australians to engage in an open and inclusive process of listening, dialogue and discernment about the future of the Catholic Church in Australia. Your voice is needed – join in! Speak boldly and with passion, listen with an open and humble heart. With faith and guided by God’s Holy Spirit, we journey together, toward the future." - from the official website of the Australia Catholic Church Plenary Council 2020. (http://plenarycouncil.catholic.org.au)

The Australian Catholic Church, with the approval of Pope Francis, will hold a Plenary Council in 2020-2021 to discuss its way forward in light of the challenges it faces in contemporary society. It's the most significant Catholic Church gatherings after 1937. The Council in 2020 will address the way forward for the Church in Australia in light of the challenges it faces in contemporary society.

Discernment on the way ahead

Delegates from the 34 local churches (=dioceses) of Australia will gather across two sessions in 2020 and 2021 to enable deeper discernment, further learning, and dialogue. The process begins at Pentecost 2018 and will help form the agenda for the Council.

In a statement by the Australian Bishops Conference, Archbishop Mark Coleridge of Brisbane, chair of the Bishops Commission for the Plenary Council, said the gathering “will be a unique opportunity for people to come together and listen to God in all the ways God speaks to us, and in particular by listening to one another as together we discern what God is asking of us at this time – a time when the Church in Australia is facing significant challenges... “We sincerely hope the preparation and celebration of the Plenary Council is a time when all parts of the Church listen to and dialogue with one another as we explore together how we might answer the question: ‘What do you think God is asking of us in Australia?’”

In approving the Plenary Council, Pope Francis also endorsed the bishops’ nomination of Perth Archbishop Timothy Costelloe SDB as the president of the Plenary Council. Archbishop Costelloe said: “I encourage all Catholics, whether devout or disillusioned, fervent or frustrated, to seize this opportunity to speak what is on their minds and in their hearts.”

Related news

20180321_AUL1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4676_Quo Vadis, Salesian? 0

2. 21Mar
    by ceteratolle
    2018/03/21 in AUL
    Views 965 

4675(III)_Archbishop Costelloe SDB appointed a President of the 2020 Australia Plenary Council 0

3. 4675(II)_What do we learn in Paranaque formation house? 0

4. 4675(I)_Brother Zatti might become a Saint 0

5. 4674(II)_Why do you become a Salesian Brother? 0

6. 4674(I)_Salesian Cooperators of ITM on the move 0

7. 4673(II)_Silent Saint who Whispers the Gospel 1

8. 4673(I)_Do you treasure your Salesian roots? 0

9. 4672(II)_Renewed commitment of VDB and their Assistants in Asia 1

10. 4672(I)_Sharing friendship between the postnovices of Japan and Korea 1

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 ... 536 Next
/ 536