Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20181211_RMG.jpg

Responding to the RM's appeal

By Our Own Correspondent

RMG, 10 December 2018 -- On the same day the Rector Major made public his appeal for the next missionary expedition, one young confrere from our EAO region, after a long time of discernment, action and reflection, sent his application for missio ad gentes, ad exteros and ad vitam. For those who are not familiar with the whole process:

Dear Fr Ángel, Greetings from (EAO province...)

I am ready to be sent as a missionary. And I would like to offer myself to work in the Salesian Missions. I belong to the province of ... (one of the 12 EAO provinces). At present I have done my first year of practical training which has also been a blessing for me to have first-hand experience as a missionary.

... Ever since I was an aspirant, I have felt that I am called by God to be a missionary wherever I will be sent to. Having shared my desire with my spiritual director, I kindly ask you, Fr Ángel Fernandez Artime to pray for my missionary vocation and in obedience send me to a mission place wherever the Lord wants. This decision is my free will without any external force from outside. If I have a chance to choose the region or country, I would want to work in Africa, Europe, America or China. But, please send me to any place which needs me... Lastly. I pray and ask our Blessed Mother’s intercession for my missionary vocation. Assurance of my prayers. Looking forward to your guidance. Yours in Christ.."

And the immediate reply from the successor of Don Bosco:

My dear confrere...I have received through the General Councillor for the East Asia - Oceania Region your e-mail in which you show your desire and availability to be a Missionary Ad Gentes. I am very grateful to the Lord who continues to call generous Salesians to live very deeply the Salesian missionary vocation.

Dear ..., I promise you my prayer for your missionary vocation, as you tell us, and at the same time, from this moment on, I bring your request to the attention of Fr Guillermo Basañes, General Councillor for the Missions, so that he may accompany you on this journey and discernment, in this beautiful choice of your life.

What a beautiful day to write this petition which I receive with great happiness. Our Immaculate Mother and Help of Christians leads you hand in hand and Don Bosco blesses you, as he has blessed all the missionaries he has sent on the previous 149 expeditions.

Next year will be the 150th Salesian missionary send off. May the Lord bless you and if it is his will that you be in the missionary sending of September 29, 2019 - we will give many thanks to God.

Receive my blessing and fraternal embrace!

Fr Angel Fernández Artime, Rector Major

Also there is another emotional anonymous reply to the Rector Major's missionary appeal post in BOSCO.LINK:

Dear Fr Fernández,

Touched by your appeal, may I ask how should I respond.....

Thanks for a prayer for the guidance to follow the will of the God Almighty....

Related news article:

Resource material:

20181211_RMG1.jpg

20181211_RMG2.jpg