?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180709_FIN.jpg

Interview with Br Joe Ferrer, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Paranaque, the Philippines, 8 July 2018 -- What does sustain your Salesian Brother vocation?

At the early stages of my vocation, what attracted me was the activities the early pioneer brothers were engaged in. There was one particular brother who was the head of the technical workshop I was enrolled in. He was well versed in his trade (electronics and electrical technology), he was a fairly good swimmer (my favourite sport) he was driving a big “Ducati “ motorbike (my teenage image of a “cool person”). In short I quasi idolized him. As the shop head, he very often gave us short talks after the prayer prior to the start of the workshop period. Invariably, in these short talks, he would come up with some advise about being honest, industrious, generous, pure, etc. He often talked about St. John Bosco. He talked about God and the things of the spirit. These were topics I normally associated with “the priest’s job” . Now here in front of me was someone I considered “cool” talking to me about God, virtues, heaven, saints, things spiritual. If I heard the same things from a priest, I would have simply told myself “that’s his job”. But here was a lay man just like me, talking to me about God and things spiritual. Somehow, it had a greater impact on me, and I think it would be safe to assume that it had the same impact on many of my companions. This experience sort of started me looking at the Salesian brothers in a more serious way.

Could this initial attraction sustain my vocation after all these years? I would like to underline the word initial. I am now convinced that it would not. If my response to my vocation is simply my mission, or what some writers term “my doing”, then at this stage of my life when my activities are greatly reduced due to age and failing health, or when failures in my targets and goals come around, I would tend to get discouraged and give up. No. What sustains my Salesian Brother vocation is both my consecration or what now is also termed “my being” and my mission, or as stated earlier, “my doing”. My being a consecrated person makes me feel closer to a God that truly and greatly loves me. Being consecrated to God for a mission - the mission of Don Bosco enshrined in his motto “da mini animas” keeps me going and hoping that I would one day merit the third element in Don Bosco’s promise to his followers: “paradise”.

How can we improve the Salesian Brother vocation visibility in the SF or in the Filipino Church?

Visibility could be a two-edged sword. If what is being made visible is of inferior quality, then it would be counter productive. It is imperative therefore that the Salesian brothers make their formation and qualification one of their top priorities. One’s “quality” is greatly influenced by one’s self concept. Good and well planned formation and professional qualification boosts the brothers self-concept.

Now, on the effort at visibility, the brothers being the fruit of this vocation, must not shy away from opportunities of exposure to both the Salesian family and the Filipino church. They have to exhibit a contented, happy and fulfilled life. To be able to do this effectively, they must really have a contented, happy and fulfilled life. Having said all these, what is really essential is that the brother live a holy life. An authentic holy life cannot be hidden.

Many appreciate the FIN as one of the ‘Salesian Brother friendly’ provincial communities. What are the elements that contribute to this beautiful reality?

I would attribute this “Salesian brother friendly” atmosphere first of all, to the great pioneer Salesian brothers who made a great and lasting impact on the early salesians - an effect that somehow has by osmosis affected even the current confreres who may not have known them personally. One of the present effects of this impact is the way priest and cleric confreres treat the Salesian brothers - a true equal and this treatment is done without any form of condescension. And of course, the current breed of Salesian brothers have shown by their life, their dedication to their assignments and interest in their formation, their being worthy partners of all the confreres of the province.

How do you feel as one of the Blessed Steven Sandor community formators?

My assignment as a formator in the Steven Sandor community could perhaps be summed up borrowing the “catch words”of the FIN vocation campaign: “ hard, happy, holy”. Hard - because of the constant need for being an example of living an authentic Salesian life. Happy - due to being in the midst of a significant number of kindred spirits: the Salesian brothers. And holy - because of the need to be an example, growth in Salesian holiness is imperative and thankfully, the atmosphere and rhythm of the formation house greatly enhances this.

Since 1975 you have participated in many EAO Congresses. Could you briefly describe the progress of Salesian Brother vocation through these gatherings?

The first few EAO congresses were, in my opinion, mainly “feel good” fellowship gatherings with some attempt at some salesianity inputs. (There even was a joke around the 3rd or 4th congress that every congress has an input entitled “Salesian Brother Identity”). This is quite understandable since a big number of participants did not have the opportunity of receiving the theology of religious life course that is now an integral part of the Salesian brother formation process. With the later congresses, the participants’ demographics has changed. There is a good number of young brothers with a good basic knowledge of the theology of religious life, enabling the organisers to introduce input topics that contain a deeper theological and spirituality content. This development gives the brothers more self confidence and insight into Salesian consecrated life.

At the end of each EAO Brother Congress are some resolutions made. How can we make them fruitful in each provincial community after the Congress? [‘Re-echo’?]

I recall at the start of the Brothers Congress in Australia, a phrase borrowed jokingly from a rural American farming family, who responded to a visitor’s query: “what do you do with the produce you harvest?” The response was “We eat what we can, and we can what we cannot”.

Many resolutions have been generated by the past congresses. Some of these, we have “eaten” or put into practice. Many others, for one reason or another have been “canned” or put on hold. I believe one of the important things we have to do at this stage of the evolution of our EAO brothers congress is to revisit our “canned” produce - take a look once again on the past resolutions taken. I now realise how important proper documentation of proceedings is, which enables us all to look back on our past resolutions and see what still needs to be done.

Looking forward, a re-echoing of the Congress is important. This session should be participated in by all the rectors, local vocation promoters, brothers who because of one reason or another was not able to participate in the actual congress, and young Salesians in initial formation. In this way, a greater appreciation of the Salesian brother vocation could ensue.

Suggestion for the incoming 2018 EAO Brothers Congress?

Having seen the proposed schedule of the 2018 congress, I really have nothing significant to add. It is well planned. Even the informal congress activities were well thought out. I could just perhaps underline the aforementioned need for good documentation and a strong encouragement to all participating provinces to do some form of re-echoing. I thank first of all God for having inspired the EAO leadership to hold this congress. I also take the opportunity to thank St. John Bosco for his “wonderful creation” - the Salesian Brother. Thank you too Vietnam Province for a great planning and the continuing unstinting support.

20180709_FIN1.jpg

20180709_FIN2.jpg

20180709_FIN3.jpg

20180709_FIN4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4784(III)_Youth serving Youth: Salesian Altar Boys in HK

Salesian Altar Boys team spirit building By Cl. Leo Leung, SDB Hong Kong, 8 July 2018 -- Salesian Altar Boys’ Day was celebrated at Salesian Missionary House, Shau Kei Wan, Hong Kong, on July 8, 2018. About 70 Salesian Altar Boys, comes fro...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryCIN Reply1 Views1715 file
    Read More
  2. 4784(II)_A new missionary priest for one of the poorest missions in Latin America

Fr. Vincent Nguyen Quoc Bao, SDB Vietnamese missionary ordained in Paraguay By SC Office PAR Asunción, Paraguay, 7 July 2018 -- In the parish of Virgen del Carmen of Carmelo Peralta, the Salesian missionary from Vietnam, Vincent Nguyen Quoc...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views877 file
    Read More
  3. 4784(I)_Kool Adventure Camp 2018 in Cebu

SYM Personal Leadership Formation By Mr. Gabriel Veloso Cebu, the Philippines, 30 June 2018 -- The Salesian Youth Movement (SYM) organized the Kool Adventure Camp (KAC) – Youth Development Program (Personal Leadership Post Program) for Cebu...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1392 file
    Read More
  4. 4783(III)_A special gift to the Rector Major

Homeland visit of Br. Marino Bois, SDB By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB RMG, 10 July 2018 -- Due to the incoming EAO 2018 Salesian Brother Congress an Italian missionary in Korea, Br. Marino BOIS, anticipated his regular home visit to Val D'Aosta...
    Date2018.07.10 CategoryRMG Reply2 Views2987 file
    Read More
  5. 4783(II)_Thai Salesian Students with the international academic awards

By Fr. Andrea Ekasit, SDB Songkhla, Thailand, 7 July 2018 -- It is a pleasure news in Salesian school that two Salesian Students in SME program (Salesian Science, Mathematics, English) of Saengthong Vitthaya (Salesian school) and Thinadukro...
    Date2018.07.10 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1138 file
    Read More
  6. 4783(I)_Pursuit of unity - made in the Philippines

SYM and GENFEST in Manila: signs of growing youth global solidarity By Fr. Jobeth L. Vivo, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 8 july 2018 -- Just yesterday was concluded in Manila the first 'GENFEST' (Focolare Youth Movement, a kind of SYM) out o...
    Date2018.07.10 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views959 file
    Read More
  7. 4782(III)_Unique memory about Salesian Brother Congress since 1975

Interview with Br Joe Ferrer, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Paranaque, the Philippines, 8 July 2018 -- What does sustain your Salesian Brother vocation? At the early stages of my vocation, what attracted me was the activities the early pione...
    Date2018.07.09 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1159 file
    Read More
  8. 4782(II)_Recovering the friendship with Jesus

Spiritual Energizer - Annual retreat of the General Council By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB Guarcino, Italy, 7 July 2018 -- For each Salesian confrere the annual spiritual retreat is a golden chance to recover his friendship with Jesus. Also for...
    Date2018.07.09 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views1059 file
    Read More
  9. 4782(I)_Cambodian Practical Trainees met in Battambang

LTR standing: Fr. Anthony Hoang Van Nguyen, Br. Joshua Pilaku (Br. Samnang Jr.), Br. Kong Somony and Br. John Phen Nary. Sitting LTR Fr. Gerard Ravasco (Fr. Gigi) and Fr. Ceferino Ledesma (Fr. Cef.) The young confreres in practical training ...
    Date2018.07.08 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views1150 file
    Read More
  10. 4781(II)_Promote youth leadership skills through sports

Sports Saengthong Vitthaya School Hatyai, Songkhla Thailand By Bro. Thanad Anan, SDB Songkhla, Thailand, 29 June 2018 -- Whenever teams develop leadership skills both individually and collectively, they are more effective, engaged, agile an...
    Date2018.07.07 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1156 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 ... 533 Next
/ 533