PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180213_IDN.jpg

Interview with Brother from Indonesia Delegation

By Br. Kelo Lusianus, SDB

Jakarta, Indonesia, 12 February 2018 --

What makes you happy or joyful as Salesian Brother?

Every day before work I start with the mediation Eucharist and community prayer and at the end with the community ends with a prayer. I really help effectively the youth in the VTC to bring my skills to them and listen their life sharing.

Who is your Salesian Brother model?

All the SB in Indonesia Delegation – Ephrem, Yulius, Ignace, Mikoli, Alex, Borges and Umbu. In their personal character I find a good example, to they help me to grow up as better SB.

How do you share with the novices about the specific signs to be called as Salesian Brother?

To be a committed good Christian and loving a simple life, because we are called by God as Salesians, Priest or Brothers. We are the same in front of God, since some outsiders think about second or first class - but we are different only in our duties. Since the Salesian Brother are present the whole day among the youth in the workshop or in the school, help them to acquire the necessary skills and educate them with constant presence in their midst - with an assistance. On the other side, the priests have other duties wich distract them from the full commitment in the education field. And we can find many other distinctive signs.

How to make the vocation of Salesian Brother more visible in the Church or within the Salesian Family?

In Indonesia we need a greater involvement with the local people and youth, especially in education field. We need to explain better to our candidates about the specific points of Salesian Brother vocation. We need to appreciate more the Salesian Brother in all our communities. Without the Brother we have no complete Salesian religious communities.

What does sustain most in your vocation?

In my own experience the formation for Salesian Brother is often up and down. And many Brothers are leaving the Salesian Congregation due to not very consistent curriculum and weak accompaniment by their formators. I’m strengthen through my mission with the young in the workshop where I’m happy. And when the young people, product of our education, are becoming honest citizens.

Any expectations, suggestion for the path towards the 2018 Salesian Brothers Congress?

I did already participate in the previous 2013 EAO Congress in Hua Hin. I expect to visit some Salesian community in Vietnam, observe the work with the young and learn how to help when with their different tribe, religion or race. Indonesia is Muslim… Interested especially in the Vocation Training Centeres of Vietnam.

And during the five days Congress when we find each other, we expect to share in deeper way, what is our life experience. We need daily at least one hour in smaller group sharing.

NB: Br. 'Oscar' is since last 2017 Director of the BLK (Vocation Training Center) Salesian Don Bosco in Tigaraksa (archdiocese of Jakarta), Indonesia that cares mainly for the short technical courses for majority of Muslim young people in this industrial zone near the capital city since 2000. Tigaraksa community is entrusted with the Novitiate formation, Oratory and Vocation Training Centers. At present with 12 novices and 8 SDB: 4 Priests, 2 Brothers and 2 Students - practical trainees.

20180213_IDN1.jpg

20180213_IDN2.jpg

20180213_IDN3.jpg

20180213_IDN4.jpg

20180213_IDN5.jpg