Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1011 Comment 0
20181130_FIN.jpg

Interview with Fr. De Guzman, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Manila, the Philippines, 29 November 2018 -- Interview with Fr Renato De Guzman, invited expert at the 2018 Synod on 'Faith-Youth-Vocational discernment'

What was your learning experience at the 2018 Synod?

1. The Synod showed me how the Church loves the youth: it begins with Pope Francis, the bishops, the laity and the youth who came together and spent time in listening, reflecting, praying and enjoying each other’s presence. The Synod made us experience the value of walking with youth as Church, God’s Family in communion and mission.
  2. The Synod made me more convinced than ever that Don Bosco is a prophet of youth ministry. He left us a spiritual and pedagogical patrimony in relating with the young that was echoed in the Synod Hall in various ways, languages and stories, even by non-Salesians. At the same time in the Synod, I learned that Don Bosco’s educational patrimony is also enriched by the other disciplines, expertise and experiences with youth from non-Salesian tradition. This makes me humble and open to other movements of the Spirit in the Church for the good of the youth.
  3. As fruit of the Synod for me, I have had the humbling awareness of my inadequate appreciation of Don Bosco’s patrimony of walking with the young. This has led me to ask myself: all these years as a Salesian have I been an entertainer for the youth or a technocrat of youth ministry or an authentic and exemplary youth missionary-minister?

What are the 3 most important fruits of the 2018 Synod?

The first is in the Final Document Art no. 118 that Fr Rosanno, one the Special Secretaries, mentioned in his interview. “The fruit of this Synod, the choice that the Spirit has inspired us through the process of listening and discernment is to walk with the youth in going out to all to give witness to the love of God.” The Synod came out with an awareness of being a synodal church for the young: that is, being present to them; listening with empathy; accompanying and helping the young to discern their purpose and mission in life.

The second fruit is the recognition that youth are “today,” they are not only the future but the present, hence they are God’s gift to the Church and to the world. The Synod affirms that the youth are protoganists of their life today and tomorrow. There is a need to help them face this life and journey through this life with a purpose, with a mission. Hence, the Synod strongly proposes that a culture of vocation be created in the local church and in every youth ministry setting.

The third lesson is that we recognise that youth ministry today has two essential characteristics: youthful and vocational: “Since the start of the synodal journey the need to qualify youth ministry and its vocational orientation has come out with force. In this way two indispensable characteristics of ministering to the youth of today have come up: “youthful” because its recipients belong to the age group called youth that is unique and not repeatable in life; and “vocational” because youth is a privileged stage of life that is open to life’s choices and to respond to the call of God.”

What do you suggest to the Salesians immersed in their busy apostolic life - how can they be inspired by this Synod?

I suggest the following steps that the FIN Province is taking as we join the Church in the Philippines in celebrating the Year of the Youth and we prepare for the Provincial Chapter that asks us “What kind of SDBS are we for the young today”.

1. Get to know and appreciate the Final Document of the Synod in one’s own language even though it may be an unofficial translation. We will better understand Pope Francis in his future Post Synodal Apostolic Exhortation if we study and reflect on the Final Document.
  2. Draw out the “Salesian” features in the Final Document: a) those that are traceable in our Salesian tradition and b) those that are not “Salesian” but will enrich and enhance our current youth ministry.
  3. Reflect and make those “synodal” features in the Final Document concrete in the provincial chapter and in actual youth ministry in the Province.

Listening to the young people was at the heart of the Synod. What does it mean for us Salesians?

It means that we Salesians have to go back to Don Bosco and learn from his spirit of listening. In his preventive system he taught us Salesians how to listen to the youth with all our senses and especially with the heart.

Many Salesians were present in the Synod Hall this time. What does it mean for the 14,500 SDBs around the world after the Synod?

I believe it means more humility for us Salesians to appreciate the presence of many other charisms for the good of the youth, to be open to many other ways of relating with the youth today, to experiment another way of walking with the youth: the synodal way, hoping that with our salesian tradition, this synodal walking with the youth will truly respond to their context today and will be effective in forming them into Don Bosco’s vision for the youth: to be good christians and honest citizens today.

20181130_FIN1.jpg

20181130_FIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5017(III)_Formation Dept., Regional Coordinators, Regional Formation Centres

World Consultation in Batulao By Bro. Raymond Callo, SDB Batulao, Batangas, the Philippines, 20 February 2019 -- Fr Ivo Coelho together with the RMG Formation Department Team (Francisco Santos Montero, Silvio Roggia, Jose Kuttianimattathil,...
    Date2019.02.21 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1132 file
    Read More
  2. 5000(I)_"Holiness, for you, too!"

Banal: A Relic Exhibit on Salesian Holiness By Kenzo Molinyawe Don Bosco Makati, the Philippines, 31 January 2019 -- Venerating and preserving relics of saints have been a longstanding tradition within the Catholic faith. They serve as a ta...
    Date2019.02.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1114 file
    Read More
  3. 4995(II)_Fr. Dave's Digital Art Exhibition

By Fr Drans Nolasco, SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 28 January 2019 -- Fr. Dave Buenaventura, SDB, celebrated his birthday with the opening of his One-Man Digital Art Exhibition. The opening ceremony began at 10:00am at the Roozen Hall. ...
    Date2019.01.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1522 file
    Read More
  4. 4994(II)_A Work of Devotion: “Tayo na sa Antipolo” Book Launch

DBCS Launches a New Book By Dcn. April Jerome S. Quinto, SDB Parañaque City, the Philippines, 24 January 2019 -- Don Bosco Center of Studies (DBCS) celebrated the feast of our titular patron Saint Francis de Sales, on the third day of noven...
    Date2019.01.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views639 file
    Read More
  5. 4990(II)_Salesian Family Parañaque District Fellowship

The Feast of Saint Francis De Sales By Cl. Jarmy Reignier A. Roxas, SDB Photos by Cl. Joseph Son, SDB Parañaque City, the Philippines, 24 January 2019 -- Salesians and members of the Salesian Family from the Parañaque District—Metro Manila,...
    Date2019.01.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views821 file
    Read More
  6. 4987(I)_Our Lady of Antipolo visits DBCS

By Cl. April Jerome Quinto, SDB Parañaque City, the Philippines, 22 January 2019 — The pilgrim image of the miraculous and historical Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, more popularly known as Our Lady of Antipolo, arrived noontime in Don B...
    Date2019.01.23 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views853 file
    Read More
  7. 4970(II)_Servant of God Fr Carlo Braga, SDB, remembered at Canlubang

By Fr Ryan Oliver Bautista, SDB Canlubang, the Philippines, 3 January 2019 -- The Salesians and Lay Mission Partners of Don Bosco College Canlubang gathered to celebrate Mass at the Diocesan Shrine of Mary Help of Christians to usher in the...
    Date2019.01.04 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views3389 file
    Read More
  8. 4951(I)_"We can be sure that there are other Salesians coming from the other SF Groups"

Interview with Fr Robert (Bobby) Roxas: FIN provincial delegate to the Salesian Cooperators By Our Own Correspondent Manila, the Philippines, 15 December 2018 -- Fr Bobby is the vice rector of the SDB formation community in Paranaque, and, ...
    Date2018.12.17 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views7828 file
    Read More
  9. 4948_Secular Institute 'With Don Bosco' (CDB)

Signs of growth in Asia By Our Own Correspondent Manila, Philippines, 13 December 2018 -- During the recent animation visit to FIN province in Manila, the EAO Regional Councillor had an opportunity to meet three members of the first and so ...
    Date2018.12.14 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views836 file
    Read More
  10. 4934(II)_Synod 2018 means more humility for Salesians

Interview with Fr. De Guzman, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Manila, the Philippines, 29 November 2018 -- Interview with Fr Renato De Guzman, invited expert at the 2018 Synod on 'Faith-Youth-Vocational discernment' What was your learning expe...
    Date2018.11.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1011 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44 Next
/ 44