PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1226 Comment 0

20180827_AUL.jpg

Main experience of EAO Brother Congress:

We are consecrated Salesians!

By Bro. Michael Harris, SDB

Melbourne, Australia, 26 August 2018 -- In August this year seven Brothers from AUL province: Michael Lynch, Stan Rossato, David O’Brien, Barry Parker, Dat Phung, Michael Morrow and Michael Harris headed off to Vietnam for a (EAO) Brother Congress. The purpose of the gathering was to study and improve the knowledge of the Salesian religious vocation in the particular form of the Salesian Brother. This sounds very serious, but it was a wonderful experience of camaraderie and new friendships.

There were about 180 Brothers in attendance from all the provinces of the East Asia – Oceania Region I didn’t realize there were so many Brothers in our region! And they weren’t all there! Men, young and old, of every field of experience from business managers to writers, artists, teachers, fundraisers, journalists in the digital field and mechanics and many other technical fields. Some had remained in their own provinces, but many were missionaries with unforgettable stories and adventures. What impressed me was the joy and enthusiasm of the whole group.

We were in a retreat house in K’Long, not far from Dalat, 300 km northeast of Ho Chi Minh, which is in the foothills and is cool, about 15 degrees and often raining and windy. It is the wet season. The gatherings were held in a big marquee which gradually almost disintegrated as the days went by, which added some excitement.

There were many “inputs” and resolutions, too many to remember! But one thought caught my attention. Our vocation is the Salesian religious vocation. We are consecrated religious. This is our gift to the world. Our witness. And during the promotion of the Salesian vocation this is the first and main thing to be promoted. Young men with a view to following Don Bosco as Salesians must understand the value of the religious vocation in the form of the Brother and the Priest. The Salesian religious vocation in both forms.

Brother Dat was our guide and organizer and he did a wonderful job especially in the last three days of looking around Vietnam especially Dalat and Ho Chi Minh city. The work of the local Salesians is amazing considering it is a communist country with some restrictions on possible activities. They have many aspirants from 18 to 25 years of age, pre-novices, novices, post novices etc. At the province centre, which includes their theologate, we attended the final profession of seven Salesians, 5 clerics and 2 Brothers. There were about 1000 people in attendance, just to give you an idea of the vibrancy of the Vietnam-Mongolia province!

I think the others would agree that we returned home with a new appreciation of the Salesian Brothers’ vocation and new energy and enthusiasm to carry us into the future.

Another Brother from our group added: "I commend on all you did in promoting and help organise the Brother Congress. Congratulations on a great job! I thought the Congress was an outstanding Gathering. At this moment in the life of the Congregation, it was a great morale booster. Almost a Tabor experience!"

20180827_AUL2.jpg

20180827_AUL3.jpg

20180827_AUL4.jpg

20180827_AUL5.jpg

20180827_AUL6.jpg

20180827_AUL7.jpg

20180827_AUL1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4851(II)_Ministries of Acolyte and Lector

By Fr Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 14, September 2018 -- During the celebration of the Eucharist, on the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross, at the conclusion of the annual Visitation to the community of Don Bosco House, Melbourn...
    Date2018.09.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1326 file
    Read More
  2. 4838(I)_Look forward to supporting the Salesian works

Cagliero Project in Timor Leste By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Auslaria, 31 August 2018 -- The Cagliero Project is run by the Australia Pacific Province of the Salesians of Don Bosco. The aim of the program is to provide Australians with...
    Date2018.09.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1185 file
    Read More
  3. 4835(I)_“Responding to the Call to Holiness in Today’s World”

Annual Formation Gathering 2018 By Dcn. Anusit Chanphen, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 27 August 2018 -- Ongoing formation is one of the necessary elements for all the Salesians in terms of growing maturity and responding profoundly to God and...
    Date2018.08.30 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views944 file
    Read More
  4. 4832(II)_Almost a Tabor mountain experience

Main experience of EAO Brother Congress: We are consecrated Salesians! By Bro. Michael Harris, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 26 August 2018 -- In August this year seven Brothers from AUL province: Michael Lynch, Stan Rossato, David O’Brien, Bar...
    Date2018.08.27 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1226 file
    Read More
  5. 4828(III)_Are we ready to go out of our comfort zone?

Australia-Pacific Province celebrates its first Salesian missionary month By Fr William Mathews, SDB From the Provincial newsletter August 2018 Melbourne, Australia, 20 August 2018 -- Dear Confreres and members of the Salesian Family. Durin...
    Date2018.08.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views715 file
    Read More
  6. 4797_Meeting of the SDB and FMA Provincial Councils

By Fr Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Ausralia, 20 July 2018 -- On Friday, the SDB Council of the AUL Province (Australia, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand) hosted a meeting with the FMA Council of the SPR Region (Australia, Samoa and Solomon Isla...
    Date2018.07.25 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views925 file
    Read More
  7. 4796(II)_Shouts of joy and laughter fill the air!

Don Bosco winter camps 2018 By Ms. Bridie Keily Melbourne, Australia, 23 July 2018 -- Ah, Winter School holidays – a time to relax and rug up nice and tight to escape the cold… maybe for some, but not for the leaders and campers at the Don ...
    Date2018.07.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views732 file
    Read More
  8. 4792(V)_First Meeting of the Mission Animation Team AUL

By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Australia, 18 July 2018 -- Lauren Hichaaba, the Provincial Delegate for Mission Animation for the AUL Province, is now being supported by a highly competent team. The inaugural meeting for the AUL Mission A...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1443 file
    Read More
  9. 4787(I)_Audio Divina, a podcast by Fr Frank Moloney reaches 5,000th listen!

Finding more volunteer readers for the weekly gospel readings By Michael Gartland Melbourne, Australia, 12 July 2018 -- With the recent publication of its 25th episode, Audio Divina has reached over 5,000 unique downloads across 47 countrie...
    Date2018.07.14 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1408 file
    Read More
  10. 4781(I)_Celebrating 25 years at Don Bosco Youth Centre, St Marys

By Cl. Jeff Miller, SDB Sydney, Australia, 24 June 2018 -- The Don Bosco Youth Centre, St Marys, celebrated its 25th anniversary of service to needy youth in Western Sydney. The 23rd ran as a family fun day, with extra attractions, a BBQ, a...
    Date2018.07.07 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views901 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Next
/ 26