NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 715 Comment 0

20180824_AUL.jpg

Australia-Pacific Province celebrates

its first Salesian missionary month

By Fr William Mathews, SDB
From the Provincial newsletter August 2018

Melbourne, Australia, 20 August 2018 -- Dear Confreres and members of the Salesian Family. During my visit to Rome for the new Provincials’ Course in June, I was asked by a Salesian from another province of how many missionaries we have in our province. Without further thought, my quick response was ‘Every Salesian is a missionary in our province’. I did not regret about my quick response as I always believe you and I are missionaries to the young in our great province of Mary Help of Christians.

We are missionaries to the young, especially to the poor and the abandoned in every place we work. We live and are sent as missionaries by the grace of God through our religious profession as Salesians. The Salesian Constitution article 2 says; “We the Salesians of Don Bosco, form a community of the baptized. Submissive to the bidding of the Spirit we are resolved to carry out the Founder’s apostolic plan in a specific form of religious life: to be in the Church signs and bearers of the love of God for young people, especially those who are poor.”

Recently, you would have received a reminder from Lauren Hichaaba, Provincial Delegate for Missionary Animation, about our ‘Missions Month’ starting from 15 August the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and concluding on 14 September with the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. This special month is a time to reflect ourselves once again of our missionary spirit and examine what we can do better or differently in our mission as Salesians.

The worldwide Salesian Missionary intention for this month calls for the Salesians in Oceania, ‘So that the Salesian Family may be able to witness to and proclaim the Gospel of the Family in Oceania’. Confreres in the Pacific Delegation as well as those in Australia can examine how things are going with their mission. Are we sitting well in our comfort zone where we keep ourselves busy and not get challenged by our untouched potentials? Or are we prepared to do differently or go to places where we are needed?

Many Salesians, past and present from our province, are dedicated to the missions in the Pacific. A lot of ground work has been established in Samoa for the local Salesians to take over. All our works in Samoa are now run by either Samoan Salesians or lay people. Moreover, I am so pleased to see a young Vietnamese cleric in Salelologa who is resiliently and faithfully living out religious life as a missionary. Another young Vietnamese cleric is on the way to Samoa to start Practical Training in 2019. We have Br Stan Rossato and Fr Jim Hoe in Fiji as missionaries sacrificing their lives and trying their best to proclaim the love of God. Fr Paselio Tevaga and Fr Mika Leilua taking on leadership roles as missionaries in formation and in our projects for the poor. I also acknowledge all Salesians in New Zealand who are helping the diocese and the youth in parishes as missionaries.

A lot of missionary work is being carried out by a few young lay volunteers from Australia. They are working as short-term missionaries in various parts of the world through the Cagliero Project.

All in all, every Salesian is a missionary in every place he works. He accepted the will of God with his own free will and is sent to proclaim the Good News. He is a missionary to bring Jesus to those he encounters in his day-to-day life. He personifies Jesus who came not to be served, but to serve through simple lifestyle. He has absolute faith in God through the maternal guidance of Our Lady the Help of Christians. He worries about nothing because Don Bosco promised him ‘Bread, work and heaven’.

Let us remind ourselves, as missionaries during this Mission month and every other day of our existence, to bring the love of God to all we meet in our life.

Every Salesian is a missionary!

20180824_AUL1.jpg

20180824_AUL2.jpg

20180824_AUL3.jpg

20180824_AUL4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4855(II)_“As a young man I gave my heart to India. I do not intend on taking it back.”

Fr Brian Kevin Diamond, great missionary for India passed away By Fr Frank Freeman, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 18 September 2018 -- Thus, spoke Fr Brian Kevin Diamond, who passed to his eternal reward on Sunday 1st September at Don Bosco Ala...
    Date2018.09.19 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1235 file
    Read More
  2. 4851(II)_Ministries of Acolyte and Lector

By Fr Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 14, September 2018 -- During the celebration of the Eucharist, on the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross, at the conclusion of the annual Visitation to the community of Don Bosco House, Melbourn...
    Date2018.09.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1326 file
    Read More
  3. 4838(I)_Look forward to supporting the Salesian works

Cagliero Project in Timor Leste By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Auslaria, 31 August 2018 -- The Cagliero Project is run by the Australia Pacific Province of the Salesians of Don Bosco. The aim of the program is to provide Australians with...
    Date2018.09.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1185 file
    Read More
  4. 4835(I)_“Responding to the Call to Holiness in Today’s World”

Annual Formation Gathering 2018 By Dcn. Anusit Chanphen, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 27 August 2018 -- Ongoing formation is one of the necessary elements for all the Salesians in terms of growing maturity and responding profoundly to God and...
    Date2018.08.30 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views944 file
    Read More
  5. 4832(II)_Almost a Tabor mountain experience

Main experience of EAO Brother Congress: We are consecrated Salesians! By Bro. Michael Harris, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 26 August 2018 -- In August this year seven Brothers from AUL province: Michael Lynch, Stan Rossato, David O’Brien, Bar...
    Date2018.08.27 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1227 file
    Read More
  6. 4828(III)_Are we ready to go out of our comfort zone?

Australia-Pacific Province celebrates its first Salesian missionary month By Fr William Mathews, SDB From the Provincial newsletter August 2018 Melbourne, Australia, 20 August 2018 -- Dear Confreres and members of the Salesian Family. Durin...
    Date2018.08.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views715 file
    Read More
  7. 4797_Meeting of the SDB and FMA Provincial Councils

By Fr Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Ausralia, 20 July 2018 -- On Friday, the SDB Council of the AUL Province (Australia, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand) hosted a meeting with the FMA Council of the SPR Region (Australia, Samoa and Solomon Isla...
    Date2018.07.25 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views927 file
    Read More
  8. 4796(II)_Shouts of joy and laughter fill the air!

Don Bosco winter camps 2018 By Ms. Bridie Keily Melbourne, Australia, 23 July 2018 -- Ah, Winter School holidays – a time to relax and rug up nice and tight to escape the cold… maybe for some, but not for the leaders and campers at the Don ...
    Date2018.07.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views732 file
    Read More
  9. 4792(V)_First Meeting of the Mission Animation Team AUL

By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Australia, 18 July 2018 -- Lauren Hichaaba, the Provincial Delegate for Mission Animation for the AUL Province, is now being supported by a highly competent team. The inaugural meeting for the AUL Mission A...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1444 file
    Read More
  10. 4787(I)_Audio Divina, a podcast by Fr Frank Moloney reaches 5,000th listen!

Finding more volunteer readers for the weekly gospel readings By Michael Gartland Melbourne, Australia, 12 July 2018 -- With the recent publication of its 25th episode, Audio Divina has reached over 5,000 unique downloads across 47 countrie...
    Date2018.07.14 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1408 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Next
/ 26