?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20181007_EAO.jpg

Bishop Louis Versiglia

By Our Own Correspondent

EAO, 6 October, 2018 -- During the missionary month of October it might be very useful to return to the moment when some Salesian missionary vocations were born. The biography of our China Martyrs - Bishop Versiglia and Fr Caravario - can offer us deep insight. For the first EAO Salesian who came to Macau in 1906 with another five confreres, the first inspiration for this missionary vocation arose through the missionary expedition at Valdocco, as we read in the letter addressed to Fr Guilio Barberis by young Salesian Versiglia:

“My dear Fr Rector,

I have already manifested by spoken word and also in writing my desire for the missions. And now, as advised by you, I am clearly expressing what I feel within me.

Above all I am telling you that the desire for the missions was the allurement which the Lord used to draw me to himself; it was precisely in '88 when I was still in Third Year at the Oratory, that at the departure of the expedition led by Fr Cassini, I was aided and indeed really struck by the Lord’s grace. I abandoned any prior ideas I had, in order to become a Salesian, with the hope of becoming a missionary.

But then this desire disappeared out of the hope, indeed the presumption, of going ahead with my studies and also doing something good here in Italy; even more so, knowing the life of sacrifice that the missionary must make, I did not feel so ready for this sacrifice.

But when I came here to Valsalice from Foglizzo, the example of the confreres gave me new heart; and especially when Fr Rua, in the academy for the Immaculate, spoke of Africa and other places, it re-ignited even more the desire to go to Africa. For some time this desire preoccupied me so much that it besieged me in church, at school, at recreation and also when I went to bed.

But I was often aware that these urgings were mixed up with self-love. I was aware that I wanted the salvation of souls, but this flowed out of love of self. I did not have the resolve to work and suffer for Jesus Christ alone.

Then, almost discouraged, there were many times when I offered my life to the Lord, especially before our Father’s tomb, even if I could help in some way those who were to go to Africa, or through the immediate sacrifice of my life, or even by remaining hidden for the rest of my life in some workshop or in some other humble role which the Lord might entrust to me.

Now I no longer feel those raptures I felt then; yet the desire still continues; indeed it seems to me to be even steadier, because when I think about it, it no longer stirs my soul poetically, but when my mind quickly thinks of the sacrifices one must make there, rather do I feel urged to make some effort to acquire some virtues, not allow myself to be laid low by tiredness or boredom at work or in recreation.

[Lettere a Don Giulio Barberis, Archivio Salesiano. 9, 3, Versiglia].

The letter reveals the origin and defines the nature of Versiglia’s vocation: with Don Bosco, for the missions; the Salesian vocation as a missionary vocation.

'CHINA MARTYRS' ENGLISH version of the biography, by Fr. Guido Bosio (LDC 1983) is being gradually made available on Boscolink, chapter by chapter.

20181007_EAO1.jpg

20181007_EAO2.jpg

20181007_EAO3.jpg

20181007_EAO4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4930(II)_EAO Rectors learning together

EAO Formation Course for New Rectors in Hong Kong By Our Own Correspondent Cheung Chau, Hong Kong, 25 November 2018 -- Three years after the previous EAO new rectors formation session in K'Long (Vietnam) in November 2015, this time more tha...
    Date2018.11.26 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1007 file
    Read More
  2. 4928(III)_This is the opportune time!

Annual meeting of EAO Missions Animators in Cambodia By Fr Ding Cortez Provincial delegate for Missions Animation FIN Sihanoukville, Cambodia, 23 November 2018 -- The gathering of EAO Provincial Delegates for Mission Animation (PDMA) here i...
    Date2018.11.24 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views946 file
    Read More
  3. 4927(II)_EAO Formation of Formators

39 participants from all the EAO provinces By Bro Raymond Callo, SDB Yamanaka, Japan, 23 November 2018 -- This year's formation of formators for our EAO region was held at the FMA retreat house at Yamanaka, Japan hosted by GIA Province thru...
    Date2018.11.23 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1338 file
    Read More
  4. 4922(II)_EAO Youth Ministry animation journey is moving on

EAO Youth Ministry Delegates Meet in Thailand By Our Own Correspondent Huahin, Thailand, 17 November 2018 -- The Youth Ministry delegates from the provinces of the East Asia-Oceania Region (AUL, CIN, FIN, FIS, GIA, INA, MYM, THA, TLS, VIE) ...
    Date2018.11.18 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1344 file
    Read More
  5. 4914_Eleven videos of past EAO Brothers Congress now available

Interview with the Salesian Brothers - EAO 2018 By Fr. Peter Chinh, SDB HCM City, Vietnam, 13 November 2018 -- Dear Salesian Brothers of our East Asia-Oceania Region, we are happy to share the 'missing' video interviews done during last 201...
    Date2018.11.14 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views940 file
    Read More
  6. 4905(II)_Follow 'JC, Go!

Towards Panama WYD 2019 By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 7 November 2018 -- The 28th World Youth Day will be held in Panama (Central America) on January 22-27 with the presence of Pope Francis and thousands of youth from all continents. Also t...
    Date2018.11.07 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views993 file
    Read More
  7. 4899(II)_"We wait for you with a heart full of joy!"

Rector Major's Visit to Japan and Korea coming soon! By Our Own Correspondent Tokyo-Japan and Seoul-Korea, 2 November 2018 -- After the 2018 February-March animation visit of the Rector Major to Timor Leste (TLS) and Indonesia (INA) Vice pr...
    Date2018.11.02 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views988 file
    Read More
  8. 4872(II)_Revealing the missionary vocation of the first EAO Salesian

Bishop Louis Versiglia By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 6 October, 2018 -- During the missionary month of October it might be very useful to return to the moment when some Salesian missionary vocations were born. The biography of our China Mar...
    Date2018.10.06 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1235 file
    Read More
  9. 4866(I)_Lord, send me!

Salesian Missionary Intention - October 2018 By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 30 September 2018 -- For the Salesians and other consecrated individuals in the Salesian Family. Every month the entire Salesian Family is invited to pray for some s...
    Date2018.09.30 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views689 file
    Read More
  10. 4842(IV)_Formation is a matter of heart!

Synergy of two Regions - South Asia and EAO region By Our Own Correspondent Hua Hin, Thailand, 5 September 2018 -- Last day of the EAO and South Asia inter-regional seminar – workshop on Postnovitiate formation in Hua Hin, Thailand (Septemb...
    Date2018.09.06 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views937 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40 Next
/ 40