?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 987 Comment 1

20160323_CAM.jpg

By Cl. Michael Gaikwad, SDB

Sihanoukville, Cambodia, March 23, 2016 - Cl. Michael Gaikwad originally from India - Mumbai province was a member of the 146th Salesian missionary expedition (September 2015) and arrived together with Cl. Joshua Pilaku from Nigeria to the THA Delegation of Cambodia last October 2015. At present is studying the Khmer language and doing his practical training in Sihanoukville community.

How did you sense that you had a missionary vocation? Why did you take this decision?

Earlier it was inspiration by meeting missionaries and watching Salesian mission documentaries that I sensed that I had a missionary vocation. However as discernment process began with my Rector I realized that this is gift from God. In moments of personal prayer I really felt do within me that God is calling me to be a missionary.

What does your family think of your missionary call?

Initially my family was unfamiliar with the term Salesian missionary. I had to introduce my family to this term through the help of my Parish priest who is a Salesian and also my Rector. Just like me my family too went through a discernment process and I too didn't want to take any decision in my discernment process without the consent of my family members. My family wrote to Father Provincial and expressed their willingness to support me in this call from God.

How did you accept your destination as missionary?

When I applied to the Rector Major, I mentioned that I'd like to work in any set up, preferentially in a poorer set up. I received my obedience to go to Cambodia on 12 June 2015, I was asked to write to the Provincial, that's what I did.

What problems awaited me, how was I prepared to tackle them?

Language was one issue that awaited me here. Coming to Cambodia was like coming to another Asian country. The only issue was that of the language. When I came to know I'm being sent to Cambodia, I began checking the internet about information on Cambodia and tired downloading conversation clips.

This choice needs courage, where did you get it from?

Courage is not the absence of fear. I was anxious and yes wondering how things will be here. Once I have put things in the hands of the Almighty, He held and continues to hold my hands. Initially I knew that I'm jumping, the day I realized I'm jumping into God's hand, He's the one to look after me and encourage me.

Is it worth giving your life for others in such a radical way?

I feel more than giving my life it's just sharing my life with those here in the missions of Cambodia makes me feel that I'm doing God's will. This is a challenge to be here - unfamiliar language, different culture, so many different things to learn. I feel happy to be here and in one way I can say is worth sharing my life which is God's gift to me.

The Salesians have been in Cambodia for 25 years, what does their presence mean to the people? Our presence has made a difference in the lives of the people. The academic, technical and vocational education that the Salesians impart has made a difference in the lives of the people. Many of our students can be seen employed in the society. You can bump into one past pupil at the market or at the airport. Many are employed in big companies and doing well in their lives.

What are the most urgent needs of your mission land?

The most urgent need of the missions in Cambodia is Education and through it Evangelization.

What would you think of the future of the Church in Cambodia?

I think that in the future the church in Cambodia will be more vibrant and dynamic, also blooming with local vocations. Salesians have had the credit to nurture the diocesean vocation of a Khmer priest, and presently we have 2 Salesian postnovices (who have been our students in Phonm Penn and Sihanoukville) doing their post novitiate in Thailand. There is also one pre novice from Sihanoukville studying at Thailand. One Novice and one pre novice both from Phonm Penh in Philippines.

Do you have a particular project at heart?

Cambodia is an open market for many foreign companies. I hope that many companies tie up with Don Bosco Technical school so that our students get absorbed in them on sooner they finish their studies.

Could you tell us about a day in your missionary life?

There were so many handouts I received in the orientation in Italy. The best one was that, "God is already there before me in the mission land and that I'm on holy ground and need to take off my sandals." For me it was a very touching experience to be taught Catholic prayers from a boy who is a Buddhist. The young person in the mission land became a missionary to me.

What are the challenges of the Salesian family in Cambodia?

The Salesain family in Cambodia is very young. The challenge for us Salesians is that we make the members of the Salesian family feel welcomed and have the concept that they are our collaborators in our interventions for the young. We don't have to call them to just help us when we fall short of man power, but as Salesians we have to animate them and make them an integral part of our work for the young.

What message would you like to leave for the Salesian family?

As missionaries we depend on your prayers.

20160323_CAM1.jpg

20160323_CAM2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • Sandra & Nigel 2016.03.23 19:23
    Very inspiring Bro. Michael. As an Indian in Cambodia I am proud to see a fellow Indian serving the people of Cambodia.

1. 4279(I)_Integrating physically challenged youth in Don Bosco Cambodia

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Kep City, Cambodia, 31 January 2017 -- The Salesians of Cambodia celebrated the Feasts of Saint John Bosco with the official opening of a Program to integrate children and youth that are physically challenged at th...
    Date2017.02.03 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views1321 file
    Read More
  2. 4278(II)_DBTI-Makati's Boscorale Stage Inaugural Concert

By Fr. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB Makati City, the Philippines -- In the afternoon 29 January, second day of the triduum in honor of St. John Bosco’s feast, Don Bosco Technical Institute—Makati (DBTI) had its newly constructed theater blessed....
    Date2017.02.03 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views703 file
    Read More
  3. 4256_Salesian Family Day in Cambodia

By Sr. Malen Estacio, FMA Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 14 January 2017 -- The first Salesian Family Day in Cambodia, held at the Salesian Sisters' Provincial House in Phnom Penh last 14th January, 2017, took the form of a reflective study on the R...
    Date2017.01.18 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views922 file
    Read More
  4. 4237(II)_Don Bosco Phnom Penh shares the Gifts of Christmas

By Fr. Roel Soto, SDB Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 25 December 2016 -- The Christmas Gifts of love, joy and peace resounds all through Cambodia during this Christmas season. That is the message Don Bosco echoes to all. On 25th December 2016 the bo...
    Date2016.12.28 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views846 file
    Read More
  5. 4189(II)_Discerning the future - Cambodia

By Our Own Correspondent Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 6 November 2016 -- The two days of consultation for the new provincial of THA province (Thailand-Cambodia-Laos) in Phnom Penh brought together all 11 Salesians presently living and working in t...
    Date2016.11.07 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views919 file
    Read More
  6. 4091(IV)_Third Cambodian FMA sister to profess

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 5 August 2016 -- Sister Sopheak Teresa Phim became today the third Cambodian to profess as a FMA sister at the Cambodia-Myanmar Province (CMY). Sister Sopheak made her first profession before ...
    Date2016.08.05 CategoryCamb. Reply2 Views960 file
    Read More
  7. 4087_Fr. John Visser celebrated his 83rd birthday on 30 July

By Fr. John Visser, SDB Poipet, Cambodia, July 30 2016 -- Fr. John Visser celebrated his 83rd birthday on 30 July and 2 August 2016 - being missionary in Cambodia he celebrated his 84th birthday according to local tradition. Mr. Nguon Oeung...
    Date2016.08.02 CategoryCamb. Reply2 Views2099 file
    Read More
  8. 4006(I)_Cambodia Delegation: Forward and Together

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 29 April 2016 -- After the visit of the Rector Major to Cambodia, the growing Educative Pastoral Communities of the Delegation sent once more their representatives to a journey of 3 days with ...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views6841 file
    Read More
  9. 3994_Vocation story of the first Khmer Salesian Brother

By Bro. Eng Sarorng, SDB Lawaan, the Philippines, 6 May 2016 - As every year in the international novitiate of the Sacred Heart was celebrated the first profession on May 6. Thanks to all superiors and formators (Novice master Fr. Ronel Vil...
    Date2016.05.08 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views1115 file
    Read More
  10. 3949(I)_Interview with a young missionary

By Cl. Michael Gaikwad, SDB Sihanoukville, Cambodia, March 23, 2016 - Cl. Michael Gaikwad originally from India - Mumbai province was a member of the 146th Salesian missionary expedition (September 2015) and arrived together with Cl. Joshua...
    Date2016.03.23 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views987 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
/ 9