?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180409_WOR.jpg

Vietnamese missionary in Brazil shares

By Cl. Joseph Tran Van Lich, SDB

São Paulo, Brazil, 9 April 2018 -- I arrived in Brazil at the end of 2014 as a Salesian in practical training. Now, I am doing theology in São Paulo. During this period of 4 years I went through several places of different cultures, where I acquired diverse cultural, social and ethnic experiences. I would like to share some of them.

When I arrived in Brazil, after two weeks that I stayed in the provincial house in Campo Grande (BCG province), after that stay I was sent directly to the indigenous mission. That time I could not speak Portuguese nor the Xavante language, the language that the people of the "promised land" speak. I arrived on the mission as a deaf and mute. Still, with little knowledge of English, I started the first year of practical training in a place that people do not speak Portuguese well, nor English. I was the "different" in that community. It was a difficult beginning, but rewarding as missionary experience, because I lived there for a year and a half. I am currently studying theology in the megapolis of Sao Paolo and would like to finish my studies soon in order to return to my "promised land", where I began the Salesian missionary life.

At the same time, I learned two cultures: Brazilian and ethnic minority (indigenous) culture of Xavantes. I had some moments that I wanted to return to my homeland, but I prayed and reflected, then decided to stay. From that moment of crisis, when I decided to stay, I found the strength and desire to learn the "new" language and my life began to change in the positive sense. I was looking for some work to do, some ways to play with children, and my life began to improve.

The most beautiful moments during my practical training with the Xavante mission was to have the opportunity to live with indigenous people. I had the opportunity to participate in a great cultural feast of the Xavante people called "Wai-a". This party usually happens only every fifteen years and I had the opportunity and joy to participate in this festive and enchanting moment.

After the participation of that feast with dancing and singing in the hot sun, without a T-shirt and without water. I stayed with the indigenous youths during the morning until 4:00 p.m., in this indigenous ritual I was recognized as one of their people and began to feel well.

After the period I lived in the Xavante village, I was sent to a city in the interior of Mato Grosso, where I took Portuguese classes and helped with a social work. I felt well when I could study the Brazilian - Portuguese language. But it was also not an easy time because we had to work in the Salesian social work from Monday to Friday most of the day (7:30 to 11:00, 13:00 to 17:00). On Saturday and Sunday I was involved in the Oratory. Portuguese classes took place three times a week, started at 5:30 p.m., and ended after an hour and a half. I felt tired many times, but the Salesian life is like that, always full of activities and challenges so I was tired, but I was not discouraged because I felt ‘this is my vocation, because I am a son of Don Bosco’.

During this time of practical training, I learned a lot from the young people. They taught me not only the language, but they also taught me how to open my heart. Many of the young people I knew had their hearts open. Many of them always asked me "do you need help?" Or "can I help you?" And even invited me when they had some pastoral activities. This is a beautiful characteristic of the youth. Moreover they are very creative. I met the young people who created services for the other young people and sought to carry them out into their group, and we Salesians only accompanied them.

Now, I am studying the second year of theology in a large formation community in Sao Paolo with many different cultures. We have amongst us also some missionaries – from Vietnam and from Indonesia as well from the various regions of large Brazil. All this makes me feel the richness of Salesian life. I have the opportunity to learn Brazilian culture from my fellow confreres. On the other hand, there is a great challenge in community life. We are many, so it is difficult to be a good friend with all confreres. Many times I felt loneliness because each one has his room, has his study. Usually we meet at meals and in prayers.

In these years of theology studies we are also involved in the apostolate in our works and parishes. Since last year I go to one Oratory with two hundred youths and children on Saturday and one hundred and seventy on Sunday. I love that Oratory because I meet their my favourites, the poor young people! With them, I feel fulfilled and happy in my vocation as Salesian of Don Bosco.

I am happy to have this opportunity to remember, review and share my Salesian life. At the end of this sharing I would like to share two points with the young Salesian of the EAO region about the missionary spirit: The first – ‘Be more Salesian, because one who lives more closely with our Constitutions is already a missionary! The second is an invitation to a deep Salesian joy, a joy that is born within, and spreads in intimacy with Jesus Christ. It’s like a smile that has deep roots, because this joy will help many young people to overcome many difficulties and challenges of their life. Challenges, defects always exist, but Joy also exists and we have the ability to choose the Joy!

20180409_WOR1.jpg

20180409_WOR2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4698(I)_Ordination of two Timorese Deacons in Portucal

By Dcns, Salvador Mauhuno and Casimiro Morais, SDB Evora, Portugal, 13 April 2018 -- After five years in Portugal, together with other Timorese Salesian students of theology at the Instituto Superior de Teologia (Evora) the two candidates t...
    Date2018.04.15 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1770 file
    Read More
  2. 4697(I)_Vietnam at the Salesian central stage - April 2018

Salesian Bulletins of Italy & France focus on Vietnam By Own Our Correspondent Rome, Italy, 14 April 2018 -- Thanks to 'special visitors' like the France and Belgium (FRB) SDB provincial Fr. Daniel Federspiel and the Director of the Tor...
    Date2018.04.14 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views554 file
    Read More
  3. 4693(I)_With the poor youth people I feel more as Salesian missionary!

Vietnamese missionary in Brazil shares By Cl. Joseph Tran Van Lich, SDB São Paulo, Brazil, 9 April 2018 -- I arrived in Brazil at the end of 2014 as a Salesian in practical training. Now, I am doing theology in São Paulo. During this period...
    Date2018.04.09 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1429 file
    Read More
  4. 4687(II)_Religious poverty and economy in modern times

‘Economy at the service of the Charism and Mission’ By Our Own Correspondent Vatican, 2 April 2018 -- One of the most recent indications for the Catholic religious are the ‘Guidelines for the Economy at the service of the Charism and Missio...
    Date2018.04.02 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views803 file
    Read More
  5. 4684(III)_Fr. Federico Baggio, SDB passed away

By the UPS Viceprovince secretary UPS, March 29 -- The comunity of St. Francis de Sales of the Vice-province “Maria Sede della Sapienza” (Rome) comunicates that today on Holy Thursday, our Good Lord have called to His house Fr. Federico Bag...
    Date2018.03.30 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views1847 file
    Read More
  6. 4684(I)_Serving Jesus in the Hansenian patients

An apostolic priestly heart of Fr. Gaetano Nicosia By Pina B., VDB From the Crescere (VDB Formation Magazine), 2018 Sicily, Italy, 29 March 2018 -- I get him know in the 45 years ago, almost by chance: collaborating with a private radio wit...
    Date2018.03.30 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1084 file
    Read More
  7. 4680(IV)_"Dear young people, cry out!"

'Preferred places the young people like to meet the Church': 33rd World Youth Day in Vatican By Our Own Correspondent Vatican City, 25 March 2018 -- After six full days of intense work of 300 young people who rapresented all five co...
    Date2018.03.26 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views718 file
    Read More
  8. 4678(III)_How are the 'Cafasso dynamics' alive today?

Young Salesians and Accompaniment - international research By Our Own Correspondent Rome, Italy, 24 March 2018 -- The new book of large international research on 'Young Salesians and Accompaniment' (LAS Rome, 2018, 580 pages, By Marco Bay, ...
    Date2018.03.24 CategoryWorld Reply2 Views999 file
    Read More
  9. 4676_Quo Vadis, Salesian?

Personal Project of Life? By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 22 March 2018 -- Already in his letter for the first World Youth Day in 1986, Saint Pope John Paul II asked all the young people to make their own personal project of life, in order to...
    Date2018.03.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1099 file
    Read More
  10. 4675(I)_Brother Zatti might become a Saint

Investigation of the presumed miracle through the intercession of Blessed Artemide Zatti By Our Own Correspondent Patagonia, Argentina, 15 March 2018 -- "Salesian Brother Artemide Zatti who lived for 49 years in Viedma (Patagonia - Argentin...
    Date2018.03.21 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1633 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 57 Next
/ 57