Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2739 Comment 0

20181011_FMA.jpg

St Anne’s Skill Training Institute, Sideia, Alotau

By Sr. Cristina Villasanta, FMA

Sideia, Alotau, PNG, 10 Octobre 2018 -- Amidst the variety of institutions at Sideia, is the vibrant St Anne’s Skill Training Institute, (SASTI) for girls. As you walk along, you are warmly welcomed and greeted affectionately by the very disciplined, dedicated and joyfully staff and students of the Institute.

The training Institute is in its 48th year and is currently run by the Salesian sisters. Sr. Cristina Villasanta, FMA, Manageress of the Institution said that they are looking at possibilities to raise the standard of the vocational training at the centre. “The School Learning Improvement Plan (SLIP) is to improve the buildings. Every year we are targeting one building, as the structures are old and have been here since 1969”, she said.

The institute receives school fees from the government to run its academic program. The Provincial of the sisters supports the work of the institute financially, through staff qualification as well as through other means. This has given a few instructors the possibility of doing upgrading courses. The institute also runs a ‘coffee shop’ that is income generating.

A new curriculum has been introduced this year. It is the National Certification 1 (NC1). It has the following courses: Office Administration, Computing, Tourism and Hospitality, Dressmaking and Tailoring for first year students. Other relevant courses are planned for the years ahead.

The work is not easy and all supplies for the centre need to be purchased and carried across the ocean. “The work is difficult, but very fulfilling and very rewarding”, said Sr Guadalupe Ruiz, FMA, superior of the community. The sisters manage the institution from finance to formation. The teachers collaborate with the sisters and contribute so much to the school.

“Aside from our teachers’ cooperation, a big group in our school is part of the representative council. They are parents and leaders in the community. They receive formation every month”, she said.

The Student Representative Council (SRC) is formed of student leaders from the 2nd year students. Care is taken to see that the leaders are chosen well and represent the different groups. Together with the staff, they ensure that all the rules of the school are well respected and followed. They are the ones who initiate and guide the 1st year students, into what is expected in the dormitories and in the classrooms. In the absence of the sisters the school runs extremely well with the help of the lay staff and the student leaders.

The other sisters have a close contact with the girls at the institute, but more especially in the boarding. “It is wonderful to spend time with them, listen to what they have gone through in their lives and open up avenues for them”, says Sr Jolanta Kosinska, FMA, Religious Education teacher. Sr Eleanor Samson, FMA, OA (NCI) Teacher and Sr Jolanta enjoy interacting closely with the students and spending time with them.

Every week, a virtue is practiced and every term there is a theme.

• Term 1: I am the source of unity in my family
  • Term 2: I am the builder of my community
  • Term 3: I am contributing in the nation building.

“We are creating a mantra in the minds of the students. They realize that they need to be honest and hardworking and live out the values that they are taught not only in their years in school, but carry it with them to their homes, villages and communities”, said Sr Cristina.

Value education is part of the program and all the students, Catholics and non-Catholics take active part in the recollections, retreats, good morning and good night talks.

“We believe that the education that we are providing will enable them bring up good and happy families”, concluded Sr Cristina.

20181011_FMA1.jpg

20181011_FMA2.jpg

20181011_FMA3.jpg

20181011_FMA4.jpg

20181011_FMA5.jpg

20181011_FMA6.jpg

20181011_FMA7.jpg

20181011_FMA8.jpg

20181011_FMA9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4923(I)_Go forth and bear fruit

By Boniface Watoto, SRC Captain Tetere, Solomon Islands, 16 November 2018 -- ‘Go forth and bear fruit’ was the theme of the graduation ceremony held on 16th November, 2018 at Don Bosco Rural Training Center, Tetere, Solomon Islands. 26 Bosc...
    Date2018.11.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views7982 file
    Read More
  2. 4919(I)_The 18th Official recognition of the Short Course Students

By Roselin Talusina Vunabosco, PNG, 12 November 2018 -- The 18th official recognition of the Short Course Students at Vunabosco Agro Technical Secondary School in East New Britain Province was held on the 12 November 2018. In his opening re...
    Date2018.11.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views924 file
    Read More
  3. 4906(II)_Launching of PGS Website

www.dbpgs.org By Mrs Emily Akuram DBTS teacher and lay mission partner Port Moresby, PNG -- On 8 November 2018, Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, Port Moresby, had the privilege of hosting the launching of the website of the PGS (Papua Ne...
    Date2018.11.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1488 file
    Read More
  4. 4896(I)_"Bearing witness to Love"

Savio Haus Aspirants visit Prison By Palep Bigiglen Port Morsby, PNG, 28 October 2018 -- The Salesian Aspirants and "Come and See" candidates went to the Juvenile inmates at Bomana on 28th October, 2018. It was an occasion to put into pract...
    Date2018.10.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1210 file
    Read More
  5. 4891(II)_The Spirituality of the Playground

Reflection on the Letter from Rome By Archbishop Francisco Panfilo, SDB Rabaul, Papua New Guinea, 24 October 2018 -- The second chapter of the Salesian Constitutions talks about the Salesian Spirit, from which, obviously, we draw our spirit...
    Date2018.10.24 CategoryPGS Reply2 Views953 file
    Read More
  6. 4887(II)_World Mission Sunday from the bush in Araimiri, PNG

Araimiri Parish of Mary Help of Christians By Fr Joseph Thanh, SDB Araimiri, PNG, 20 October 2018 -- We often we see a picture of Don Bosco in our Salesian schools, and it immediately reminds us that he is a father, teacher and friend of th...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1359 file
    Read More
  7. 4887(I)_“Every stitch an act of love for God.”

Salesian Sisters in Boroko By Sr Ria P. Versario, FMA Boroko, PNG, 18 October 2018 -- Sr Ria P. Versario, FMA arrived in Papua New Guinea on 4th August, 2016. She spent four months teaching Religious Education to the 2nd and 4th Year studen...
    Date2018.10.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1817 file
    Read More
  8. 4882(III)_My journey: Understanding the Preventive System of St John Bosco

Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko By Dr Catherine Nongkas Principal of DBTI Port Moresby, PNG, 15 October 2018 -- Catherine Nongkas PhD, is the principal of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. ...
    Date2018.10.15 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1070 file
    Read More
  9. 4878(I)_Lifting the standard of Vocational training

St Anne’s Skill Training Institute, Sideia, Alotau By Sr. Cristina Villasanta, FMA Sideia, Alotau, PNG, 10 Octobre 2018 -- Amidst the variety of institutions at Sideia, is the vibrant St Anne’s Skill Training Institute, (SASTI) for girls. A...
    Date2018.10.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2739 file
    Read More
  10. 4877_When the ways of the Lord are not always our ways

A personal sharing on Spirituality By Fr Valeriano Barbero, SDB Kokopo District, East New Britian, PNG, 9 October, 2018 -- Fr Valeriano Barbero SDB is a pioneer of the mission in Papua New Guinea. The Salesian mission was launched in 1980 b...
    Date2018.10.10 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views2440 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 54 Next
/ 54