?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20181009_PGS.jpg

Going beyond our boundaries touch the lives of those around us

By Fr Srimal Priyanga, SDB

Henderson, Solomon Islands, 7 October 2018 -- Ramadi is a suburb of Honiara, Solomon Islands and is located West of Panatina, East Honiara. It is known for being a dump site for all the garbage from around Honiara. Unfortunately, many families are living in the vicinity to dig and collect plastic that will help them survive. Children and youths are involved as well.

Earlier, the people called on some religious orders to help them specially to celebrate the Eucharist. Fr. Srimal Priyanga sdb, Rector of Don Bosco Technical Institute, Henderson, was among those who were contacted.

On August 6, 2018, Fr. Alfred, SDB and Fr. Srimal visited the rubbish dump to see for themselves the situation of the people and the way they lived their lives. They had a short meeting with the community leader. The situation touched the two fathers. The stench and squalor of the place was repugnant. This visit of going beyond the boundaries of our institution to touch the lives of those around us, became an eye opener to thesalesians. Thus, the provincial expressed hisfull support and encouragement to thecommunityof Hendersonto examine the possibility to reach out to the people particularly the youth of this poor community as well as the adjacent community.He highlighted that “reaching out to them and examining how we can help these poor people is a very concrete expression of Don Bosco’s missionary spirit for the community.”

In response to this challenge put across by the Ranadi Landfill Site and our provincial, the community has accepted to start up regular meetings with the young and study together with the people how the community could intervene in the aspects of education, sanitation and oratory. The confreres of Don Bosco Henderson community invites all to support these vulnerable families as well as to reach out to all in need in different situations.

20181009_PGS1.jpg

20181009_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4878(I)_Lifting the standard of Vocational training

St Anne’s Skill Training Institute, Sideia, Alotau By Sr. Cristina Villasanta, FMA Sideia, Alotau, PNG, 10 Octobre 2018 -- Amidst the variety of institutions at Sideia, is the vibrant St Anne’s Skill Training Institute, (SASTI) for girls. A...
    Date2018.10.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2741 file
    Read More
  2. 4877_When the ways of the Lord are not always our ways

A personal sharing on Spirituality By Fr Valeriano Barbero, SDB Kokopo District, East New Britian, PNG, 9 October, 2018 -- Fr Valeriano Barbero SDB is a pioneer of the mission in Papua New Guinea. The Salesian mission was launched in 1980 b...
    Date2018.10.10 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views2440 file
    Read More
  3. 4876(I)_“Come help us” a call from Ranadi landfill youths

Going beyond our boundaries touch the lives of those around us By Fr Srimal Priyanga, SDB Henderson, Solomon Islands, 7 October 2018 -- Ramadi is a suburb of Honiara, Solomon Islands and is located West of Panatina, East Honiara. It is know...
    Date2018.10.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1308 file
    Read More
  4. 4871_There is hope

Caritas Technical School, Boroko By Ms Esther Mwayemwana Boroko, PNG, 5 October 2018 -- Ms Esther Mwayemwana hails from the Trobriand Islands (MBP). She has been teaching at Caritas for the past 10 years and has helped several young ladies ...
    Date2018.10.06 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1072 file
    Read More
  5. 4869(III)_Committed to Life

St Anne Skill Training Institute, Sideia, Alotau By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Alotau, PNG, 3 October 2018 -- “I have learnt that contraception is against the teaching of the Church. Furthermore, the full implications of side effects that are...
    Date2018.10.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views633 file
    Read More
  6. 4862(I)_“Ol Yangpela blong Nau Yumi wokabout wantaim Kraist long wok na Pasin"

Don Bosco Simbu Technical College hosts Youth Gathering for Diocese of Kundiawa By Bernard Kaiau Simbu, PNG, 23 September 2018 -- The Don Bosco Simbu Technical College (DBSTC) opened its doors for 1500 young people from the Diocese of Kundi...
    Date2018.09.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views7602 file
    Read More
  7. 4856(II)_The ways of the Lord are amazing

By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Sabama, PNG, 16 September 2018 -- It was because of refugee, Raja Nanda Kanna, that, I was able to meet a Salesian Past pupil. The 43rd Independence Day of Papua New Guinea was celebrated on the 16th September, 20...
    Date2018.09.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views793 file
    Read More
  8. 4855(IV)_Following the Lord’s call the Don Bosco way

Sr. Augusta's vocation story By Sr. Augusta Gaglu Port Moresby, PNG, 18 September 2018 -- In 2014, I was accepted to attend Don Bosco Technological Institute and was housed with the Salesian Sisters. My stay there taught me a lot about Don ...
    Date2018.09.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1149 file
    Read More
  9. 4853(I)_“Salesian Life; Simply Da Best”

Inculturation in PNG society By Cl. Conrad Terry Vamilat, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 15 Septemver 2018 -- I come from a matrilineal society in the Gazelle Peninsula of East New Britain. Matrilineal refers to a family relationship that can be tr...
    Date2018.09.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1273 file
    Read More
  10. 4848(II)_Missionary Experience as Discernment

Way to the missions through PNG experience By Our Own Correspondent Port Moresby, PNG, 11 September 2018 -- Today, September 11th, young Cl. Paulus Bataona (aka "Noce") from the newly born Vice-province of Indonesia (INA) has safely landed ...
    Date2018.09.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1142 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 54 Next
/ 54