Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1215 Comment 0

20180611_PGS.jpg

A Japanese young Salesian talking about his missionary experience in PGS

By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi, SDB

Araimiri, PNG, 10 June 2018 -- I was born in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2010 I became a Junior aspirant. After my novitiate in Chofu I made my first profession on March 19, 2016. I graduated from the Sophia University with a degree in education last March. Since I had long expressed my missionary desire to my Novice Director and then to my Provincial, Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, he sent me to PGS Vice-Province to help me discern my missionary vocation. I was welcomed here with open arms last April 5.

Upon my arrival I had 2 weeks cultural orientation in the Provincial House in Port Moresby. Fr. Alfred Maravilla, the Provincial, helped me understand not only the history and directives of the PGS Vice-Province but also the Melanesian culture and values which are so different from my Japanese culture and values. I was also pleasantly surprised that this small PGS Vice-Province is made up of confreres from 14 countries, working together for marginalised young people in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands!

I was assigned to Don Bosco Araimiri in the Gulf Province, around 7 hours from Port Moresby through rough road. I hope to be here until March next year, but already after 3 months I am so happy with my experience. Before coming here I had romanticised missionary life. Now after being fully involved in the life and activities of the 5 other confreres I realised that missionary life is difficult because we have to deal with very difficult people, tough environment and deprivations of things I took for granted in Japan (no electricity, no internet, no phone signal, etc). I have lost a bit of weight but my health is OK. But I also realised how much the whole community helps me to grow in my Salesian and missionary vocation. Cl. Sylvester Kuli is a practical trainee with me. We help and support each other.

Last month we had the practical trainees encounter. It was a beautiful experience for me to meet other young Salesians and share our experiences together. In Japan I was the only novice and now there is only 1 practical trainee. Instead here I learnt so much from our group sharings as young Salesians from PNG, India, El Salvador and Japan. I really appreciated our camaraderie.

Last month Cl. Sylvester Kuli renewd his vows in Araimiri surrounded by so many young people. I am happy that Fr. Alfred agreed to consider my request of the possibility to renew my vows next year also surrounded by so many young people here in Araimiri. He reminded me, however, that I am here to discern my missionary vocation with the help of my rector, hopefully in view of making myself available to the Rector Major through my missionary application.

Last June 9 I celebrated my 24th birthday in a very simple and frugal way, but very memorable for me. Thank you PGS Vice-Province for this missionary experience!

20180611_PGS0.jpg

20180611_PGS1.jpg

20180611_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4811(II)_“Youth serving Youth”

Don Bosco Animators Training for DBSTC students By Jascintine Nokondi Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, 5 August 2018 -- Don Bosco Animators Training for DBSTC students on Friday 4th of August to 05th of August 2018. An Animators Training program wa...
    Date2018.08.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views964 file
    Read More
  2. 4811(I)_Youth Alive! Celebrating Life and Love

International Short Film Festival an inspiration By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB and Abigail Seta Port Moresby, PNG, 4 August 2018 -- The Second International Short Film Festival (ISFF18) was held on 4th August, 2018 at the Paradise Cinema, Vis...
    Date2018.08.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views709 file
    Read More
  3. 4808(III)_What kind of Bosconians for the youth of PNG?

Don Bosco Alumni of PNG dream to host EAO regional congress 2024 By Mr. Martin Dai, Bosconians Port Moresby, PNG, 4 August 2018 -- Last Saturday, August 4 about 50 Bosconians (Don Bosco Alumni) gathered for their annual encounter and format...
    Date2018.08.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1042 file
    Read More
  4. 4807(II)_Growing in communion with the whole Congregation

PGS Viceprovince grows along the Road Map 2017-2023 By Our Own Correspondent Port Moresby, PNG, 4 August 2018 -- One of the numerically smallest Salesians circumscriptions, the Viceprovince of Blessed Philip Rinaldi of PNG and Solomon Islan...
    Date2018.08.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1433 file
    Read More
  5. 4805(III)_“I love to get in contact with the children and youths”

Interview with Bro. Reto Wanner, SDB By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 1 Agust 2018 -- Bro. Reto Wanner sdb was born on June 10, 1972. He belonged to the Evangelical Protestant Church, Ulrich Zwingli. Drawn to serve, he opted t...
    Date2018.08.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views721 file
    Read More
  6. 4786(I)_An Encounter and Celebration of 16 Cultures

PGS Province Day 2018 By Asp. Palep Bigiglen Port Moresby, PGS, 7 July 2018 -- The Vice-Province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi celebrated its second Province Day. The celebration had two parts: the first part was an enjoyable outing by the beac...
    Date2018.07.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1208 file
    Read More
  7. 4785(I)_A Grace Filled Retreat - PGS 2018

By Fr. Moise Paluku, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 7 July 2018 -- 31 participants gathered for the Annual Retreat, 1st to 7th July, 2018, at the Emmaus Conference Centre, Port Moresby. The group was joined by six Salesian sisters. The Retreat dwel...
    Date2018.07.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1963 file
    Read More
  8. 4780(I)_First Melanesian Salesians’ Encounter

By Cl. Conrad Vamilat, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 30 June 2018 -- We seven Melanesian Salesians had an encounter together with the Provincial of the PGS Province Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB from 27th-30th of June at the Provincial House Port More...
    Date2018.07.06 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views1211 file
    Read More
  9. 4755(I)_Missionary Experience as Discernment

A Japanese young Salesian talking about his missionary experience in PGS By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi, SDB Araimiri, PNG, 10 June 2018 -- I was born in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2010 I became a Junior aspirant. After my novitiate in Chofu I made my...
    Date2018.06.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1215 file
    Read More
  10. 4753_“To Jesus through Mary!”

A Marian Camp at East New Britain By Remegio Harold A. Argante Rabaul, PGS, 3 June 2018 -- 167 Catholic students from seven different schools in East New Britain province gathered together on 1-3 June to attend the first ever Marian Camp 20...
    Date2018.06.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1193 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 54 Next
/ 54