?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 709 Comment 0

20180201_PGS.jpg

By Asp. Palep Begiglen

Port Moresby, PNG, 31 January 2018 -- We, first year Salesian aspirants of PGS Vice-Province, had our 6 weeks missionary volunteer service (called Namuncurá Experience) in West Kerema, in our parish at Araimiri (Papua New Guinea) during the Christmas holidays.

On weekdays, throughout the six weeks, we did volunteer service to help in the repair and maintenance work of our presence in Araimiri. When we arrived, together with the Salesian community, we planned the service we would do: painting the classrooms, maintenance of the sisters’ convent and the girls’ dormitory, etc. At the conclusion of our service we were all happy with a sense of fulfilment that we achieve the tasks we planned.

Fridays were preparation days for our weekend apostolate in the villages. On Saturdays we go and stay in the villages and organise the oratory for the children, catechism lessons, and prepare and help them in the animation of the mass the following day, Sunday. It is so fulfilling to see the continuous increase of children who come to the oratory and Sunday mass. Initially it was not so easy to communicate with them because many do not speak English nor pidgin. It was even more difficult to convince the boys to join the Oratory or the Sunday Eucharist. But our constant presence and friendship helped convinced them to come.

The Namuncurá Experience helped me to widen my horizon and also to discover my potentials. For example, I discovered my talent to animate the young and my capacity to do tough manual work even if I have an injury. It was my first time to be away from home on Christmas but I was surprised that I did not miss my family. I felt truly happy animating the oratorians on Christmas and New Years’ day.

To me it was, above all, a spiritually enriching and vocationally helpful experience. I feel truly privileged to have a direct experience of the missionary spirit of Don Bosco with the Salesian community of Araimiri. The ‘good nights’ and the timely reminders on the part of the Salesians as well as the group evaluation and reflection on our experience every evening helped me to discover God’s will for me. Above all, I realised that to be a Salesian is demanding because it is a life long commitment. It is a call to serve God that can be answered only through prayer and trust in God.

The group evaluation after our 6 weeks missionary volunteer service helped us to reflect on the challenges we met like communication, the situation of the young in the villages we were sent to. By looking back and reflecting now on what we have done, I realised that the Namuncurá Experience was not only a beautiful opportunity to have a ‘hands on’ missionary experience, above all it helped me to know and discover more about myself, my talents and God’s call to me as a Salesian aspirant!

20180201_PGS1.jpg

20180201_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4686(II)_Come, help us! - PGS Viceprovince

An inspiring message by the PGS Viceprovince Superior Fr. Alfred Maravilla By Fr. Jiji Kalavanal, SDB Director of Don Bosco Image in Bangalore, India Kumgi, PNG, 1 April 2018 -- During the blessing of Don Bosco Shrine in Kumgi (Papua New Gu...
    Date2018.04.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1177 file
    Read More
  2. 4680(I)_Celebrating Saint Joseph’s Feast Day in the true Spirit and style of Don Bosco

Don Bosco Simbu Technical College By Literacy Club 2018 Kumgi, PNG, 25 March 2018 -- March 19th marks a very significant and joyous event in the life and history of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College (DBSTC). The feast of St. Joseph the Patr...
    Date2018.03.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1288 file
    Read More
  3. 4645(I)_One important charismatic step

First historical issue of PGS Salesian Bulletin By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 18 February 2018 -- ‘Let us cultivate the art of Listening’ is the theme of the first issue of the Salesian Bulletin of the vice-province of Papu...
    Date2018.02.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1041 file
    Read More
  4. 4628(I)_Reflections on the Namuncurá Experience

By Asp. Palep Begiglen Port Moresby, PNG, 31 January 2018 -- We, first year Salesian aspirants of PGS Vice-Province, had our 6 weeks missionary volunteer service (called Namuncurá Experience) in West Kerema, in our parish at Araimiri (Papua...
    Date2018.02.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views709 file
    Read More
  5. 4626(I)_The First Salesian Family Council Meeting in PGS

By Fr. Jorge Ormeño, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 27 January 2018 -- The Salesian Family Council in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands met for the first time at the SDB Provincial House, Boroko East on January 27, 2018. Present were representat...
    Date2018.01.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1185 file
    Read More
  6. 4615(III)_My First Work Experience

By Young Pomahun Port Moresby, PNG, 16 January 2018 -- Young Pomahun is a student of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, Port Moresby. He has completed Year 10, and decided that he needs to spend the two months of his holidays working. He s...
    Date2018.01.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1313 file
    Read More
  7. 4608(II)_Called to the fullness of Life and Love

Pastoral Letter for the Year of Youth 2018, Catholic Bishops Conference of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 12 January 2018 -- Also the Bishops of PNG-SI declared in their letter of 25 Sept...
    Date2018.01.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views674 file
    Read More
  8. 4582_The Namuncurá Experience

By Asp. Palep Begiglen Port Moresby, PNG, 10 December 2017 -- We had several sessions that prepared us for our Salesian Missionary Experience which is a new formation program for first year College aspirants of our of PGS Vice-Province. Dur...
    Date2017.12.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1150 file
    Read More
  9. 4578(IV)_Called to Service

Priestly Ordination of Fr. Bruce Kupi By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 9 December 2017 -- The Priestly Ordination of Fr. Bruce Kupi (42) was held on 9th December, 2017 at St. Peter Chanel Parish, Erima, Port Moresby. Bruce was...
    Date2017.12.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views892 file
    Read More
  10. 4573(I)_Carol Fest at Don Bosco

Preparing for the birth of Christ By Mr. Peter N’Drasal Port Moresby, PNG, 1 December 2017 -- “Christmas is in our hearts. It is a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus and to thank God for sending His son as one of us”, said Fr. Angel Sanch...
    Date2017.12.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views727 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 54 Next
/ 54